Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Shame on all of you for neglecting the show's finest hour (and thirteen minutes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Dramatic readayinnns!
Road'll make a soundin' point!
Dramatic readinnns!
Yeah, gassy words, phew!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Big Apple Takedown: A WWE Novel

:vince:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Haven't had a chance to listen yet, but this is easily the most excited I've been for any episode of the podcast. Sass Girls X is an absolute treasure.

Still kicking myself for not buying it when it was "only" 50 bucks. To think I thought the price would come down... :smith:

KirbyKhan posted:

I want to get the "audiobook" so bad. So, so bad.
These MP3s have provided me with years of joy, and I hope that they will do the same for you.

Disclaimer: The reading itself is all but buried in TF2 noise, on top of being recorded through a cheap gaming headset. I think it adds to the charm, though.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Yes.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
THERE ARE BOOKS THAT ARE GOOD! GOOD BOOKS!

THERE ARE BOOKS THAT ARE BAD! gently caress YOU, DAD!

Probably my favorite episode since the last one Lemon was on. I nearly fell off my bike during Chris's reading.

Also, good to know that someone is still fighting the good fight against knowledge gluttons.

But Christ - I'll let "nitch" slide because that's bewilderingly commonplace, but "toosled"? Really? At least it isn't "pos-thoomous".

and i'm not a metalhead but jw was amazingly incoherently wrong about that award, why wouldn't he listen to chris

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 8, 2016

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
"Are any of these bands headstrong? Will they take on anyone?"

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Koburn posted:

Also, this garbage somehow has a 4.00 rating on goodreads and 4.5 stars on amazon.
Not surprising; it's only Slipknot fans who are going to read it in the first place.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I hate the episode and the show and all of the people.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
He should have recommended National Treasure.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Alaois posted:

...there are two?
For some reason, there's a sequel called Clockwork Lives.

I got the album when it came out and loved it (still do), didn't know anything about a book, then saw the book at Barnes & Noble one day. The "Kevin J. Anderson" on the cover was a major red flag, and the story was hardly a point in the album's favor anyway, but even then I wasn't prepared for how cripplingly dull to read the pages I skimmed were. I don't know why Neil Peart got such a hack to put the book together for him, because he's actually a pretty good writer (if you like bike and motorcycle travelogues).

ed: I'm not too far into the episode yet, but I'm not looking forward to an hour and a half of auditory mosquito bites every time they say "purt".

ed 2: Forgot how bad they also are at pronouncing words that aren't surnames. :tizzy:

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 16, 2016

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I think it's more of a "Bird knees do not bend backwards!"

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Ghost Rider is genuinely good, though. I was disappointed that it didn't come up in the recommendations.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I almost had an entry for that, but I couldn't decide between the premises I had, and then a bunch of stuff came up that kept me from just sitting down and writing. Good to know that this is only the "first" contest and that I'll likely have another chance next year.

My favorite has to be the one with the guy (?) watching from a doorway as a couple (??) have sex (???). To be so vivid and incomprehensible at once, on purpose, is the mark of some kind of genius.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Choo-choo, all aboard Episode Number The Sex Number

Edit: Oh boy, not even ten minutes in and we have a very creative pronunciation of "Poirot". How? How?

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 28, 2016

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Oh, it looks like the characters on the show had a special British way of saying it, and that's what he was doing. Which is weird, given his rant about "aluminium" in this same episode.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Alaois posted:

I'm sorry you Brits are just bitter about us Americans trimming the fat from your words.
It's dumber than that - it was originally named "aluminum" by Humphrey Davy, who was British. Then other Brits later decided that it didn't sound enough like a metal, so they added a letter. It's extremely silly, given that none of them had any problem with "platinum".

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Johnny Longtorso posted:

I didn't really understand why they chose to do The Girl on the Train. Seemed to me like it's a pretty unremarkable thriller, there's nothing really ridiculous (or even noteworthy) about it.
Yeah, it wasn't even worth a dramatic reading. What kind of awfulness were they expecting, and why?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Raymond Luxury Yacht.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I'm not sure I want to listen to them talk about Rush for an entire show, but I love them for naming it after the most underrated Rush instrumental. :peanut:

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 4, 2016

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
This was a good one. Since the book had basically no substance to speak of, the conversation was a lot more free-flowing and causal. It almost felt like a very laid-back Flop House episode.

Looking forward to the NaNoWriMo music and to maybe someday eventually finding out just what happened to JW at Chuck E. Cheese's. :stare:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Spark That Bled posted:

I am wondering if the idea that Ender's genocide of the "buggers" was actually intended to be a tragedy of manipulation and misinformation, and the hosts just either completely missed it, or if they ignored that, or it just didn't hit.
It absolutely was.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
To be honest, I think it doesn't reflect well on their opinion of gay people if they expect them to melt away and die like the Wicked Witch if so much as a drop of The Wrong F Word meets their ears. Any time something "uncomfortable" comes up, it's like they think they're taking care of the boy in the bubble or something. It's just patronizing; if I were gay, I'd feel genuinely insulted.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 22, 2017

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Fair enough!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Heath posted:

Plus, I seem to remember them saying somewhere they weren't going to do any more books about bands for this reason, and then we've gotten what, 3 of their last 7 episodes about books about bands?
A popular rock band from the 1960s? It's actually bad, and you like it for reasons that are also bad. Now let me tell you about the last great Rush album, Presto.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Lonos Oboe posted:

WHM made the same mistake this month with their patreon listener request stuff. They were stuck doing a bunch of horrible films they would never do in a million years and they really struggled.
What are you talking about? Ultraviolet was a "classic ep" if there's ever been one.

That show is kind of like The Flop House in that the harder it is for them to stay focused on a movie, the easier it is for them to spin off into lovably ridiculous tangents like sperm heists and fat spies.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 25, 2017

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Plus, come on, it's ICP getting the poo poo beaten out of them for being assholes.

padijun posted:

I expected the latest episode to run out of steam, but it was actually better than the first half because of the great guests.
Also the "twisted poo poo version" of the theme. Even better than the nu-metal one.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 7, 2017

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

rumble in the bunghole posted:

It's probably a content thing as well. It's pretty rare that the F-Plus actually goes into unpleasant territory like explicit sexism or just calling their old manager a fag, unlike music bios.
There was a lot of rape and incest in this episode, actually.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Finally got a chance to hear the Valley of the Dolls episode after a very busy week or so. This was classic IDEOTV, right up there with Flowers in the Attic.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Man, that Ready Player One letter and the responses were sheer pain. How can people be so smug about being so awkward and unpleasant?

Someone told my friend to read a bad book. I want to tell him it's bad, but this other person my friend knows might somehow take it personally. Then again, my friend will probably like the bad book anyway, being a straight, white male...

"If you're afraid to say that it's bad, just let him read the book and recommend something you like?"

"No, you should tactfully tell him it's bad. Just tell him that if he reads it and likes it, you'll think less of him as a person because the book is bad and the people who like it are bad too."

"Yeah, that's fair."

It was at this point or so that I had to stop listening.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Spark That Bled posted:

Why would they need to emphasise that?
To meet their sanctimonious insufferability quota for the quarter.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Drunkboxer posted:

I thought he'd be fatter. I guess he just has a heavy voice.
He's had a decent picture on his F+ reader page for a while.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
This was a good episode, if only for the Jimmy Neutron socks reading.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

WampaLord posted:

I just found/discovered this and I'm really enjoying it. I've listened to only episode about books I've actually read so far (Timeline, Left Behind, DaVinci Code) which other episodes are top recommendations, even if you haven't read the book?

E: Nevermind, just read the first two posts in the thread, there's some good ones!
The second post mentions Candy Girl, but Lemon's second guest episode is even better (and has a badass new version of the theme song). Both are necessary listening.

Edit: Aw hell, I have to recommmend some of my other favorites too.

Flowers in the Attic (deeply icky Gothic horror-melodrama)

List of the Lost (novel by Morrissey that is as pompous as it is short)

Sass Girls X (batshit self-published masturbation session)

Level 26: Dark Origins (loving hardcore man, can you handle it?)

And a special bonus episode of entries in a bad writing contest they held to celebrate NaNoWriMo.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 25, 2017

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
That girl on the left is discomfortingly "sexy".

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Oh, come on. All the others are in jeans and sneakers and have big childish smiles on their faces, while she has a much more adult wardrobe and expression. It's bizarre how much she sticks out from the rest, and even if "sexy" was too strong a word for it, she sticks out in ways that seem to show a different mindset from the others. Maybe I was wrong to bring it up, and I don't think that the artist is actually a creep, but I did get a real, unpleasant impression from it.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

fatherboxx posted:

They dramatically read a paragraph from it where Rush Revere's jaw drops when that girl enters the scene :aatrek:
Yeah, having heard the episode now, I really don't think I was being unreasonable. That cover is just doing its job and depicting the character as written.

"Rush Limbaugh is really into the creation of Elizabeth; there's no way of hiding that fact. We know what gets Rush Limbaugh off at the end of this."

"Rarely is it a good sign in a book when a high-school teacher - or, in this case, a middle-school teacher - looks at a cheerleader and says, 'My jaw dropped.' "
"Yeah, that's a little frightening. The American Beauty reference earlier was spot-on."

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Ascendant frontpage superstar David "g0m" "no they will not" "yeah actually they will" Dolan wrote a beautiful parody of an Ernest Cline work even worse than his novels (be sure to click play).

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

The Vosgian Beast posted:

G0m is a funny dude, but I feel like this is relatively weak largely because the original parodies itself
That's a good point. It really says something that "They're objects" is somehow less spiteful in his version.