Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I listened to the RPO episode years ago, then last year had to read it for a book club and hated it, but thought it sounded familiar. Then I went back and re-listened to that episode. You just can't capture the breadth of its badness in an hour.

Weird thing was, I found it in the Youth section of my library, but given all the references, you've got to be like 30 years old to be in the prime age range for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Eh, letters, bee letters, see letters, the letters, e-letters.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

that vim joke was the nerdiest thing i've heard this week, and i've been listening to a podcast that reviews tabletop game books

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Speaking of, I looked up their act, and it really is like five seconds of vaudeville.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqqRB0YlZuw&t=30s

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I'm glad Chris name dropped Foucault's Pendulum. It's got a really cynical and educated view toward conspiracy theories, yet it's still got a ton of the fun of all that secret knowledge stuff--the characters just know it's all bullshit. until it isn't

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I will not abide by the besmirchment of the integrity of Silly Bad-Book Podcast With Jingles

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

That song Jay sings was good enough that I was super mad whenever the dumb writing hosed up the meter, the rhyme, and when it kept going on about grasslands.

so most of it.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Jesus loving christ I imagined his name was like Schuigel or something, I was not prepared for how dumb his name actually was even after hearing it

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Doesn't sound like it's her fault really, it just sounds like the recording's a bit bad and her mix is a bit louder than Jay and Chris. I can also hear some clicking from her audio track too.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

padijun posted:

if I donate to the patreon, how do I listen to the bonus episodes? I just want them to magically show up in podcast addict

for a different podcast i listen to, i was searching for them to add to podcast addict and accidentally found their patreon feed :ohdear:

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Making fun of Amanda Palmer is for sweaty weirdos whereas I, the Something Awful goon who will defend her honor,

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Is it really relevant? That's kind of personal.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I never read Ender's Game, but I did try to lead a "communist rebellion" against my English teacher after we read The Fountainhead.

I was an entirely different sort of insufferable nerd in high school!

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Crocobile posted:

Doesn't Card have some weird belief that intent is more morally important than the consequence? Or basically that the "means" justify the "ends" vs the other way around?

Card has said as much in interviews, and it does show up in Kessel's essay too.

Also, I didn't get the feeling from the episode that they were missing the tragedy, no more than the essay does either. It is tragic, but the tragedy in the book is that Ender has to go through this experience, not that an alien race is exterminated. I don't think Card wrote it deliberately that way, but it's got that teenage myopia where the worst thing in the world is something that makes you feel bad. I think Collision's stance on sci-fi is harsh, but he's got a good point about how juvenile it is to have a book about genocide that focuses on how bad the guy who dropped the bomb feels.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

For reference, here's Elaine Radford's article Ender and Hitler: Sympathy for the Superman, and here's John Kessel's Creating the Innocent Killer: Ender's Game, Intention, and Morality.

I've only skimmed Radford's article but Kessel mentions that he himself isn't a consequentialist; he thinks intentions matter, but he argues that in Ender's Game only intentions matter.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

John Kessel posted:

A number of people have objected to this essay on the grounds that intentions do make a difference in our judgments of the degree of culpability we assign to an actor performing any action. I did not mean to give the impression that I believe that intention is irrelevant to judging whether an action is moral. We normally take intentions into account when making such judgments. I do, too. To judge only by results would be cruel and rigid.

What bothers me about OSC and Ender's Game is that he says that onlyintentions matter in making such judgments. This I absolutely reject. It is the classic excuse of someone who commits a heinous act to say that his intentions were good, and to justify his questionable means by referring to his good ends. We see this all too obviously, for example, in the justifications the Bush administration gave for the Iraq war. They said they thought Saddam had weapons of mass destruction, that he had links to terrorism, that we were there to promote democracy, etc. Millions of people even at the time knew that these justifications were inadequate, or in many cases outright fabrications.

Card sets up Ender to be the sincere, abused innocent, and rigs the game to make us accept that he does no wrong. I see the entire pupose of the "remote war by game" trick in the novel as a device to make this argument plausible. But in the real world genocide is not committed by accident. We see the immoral consequences of such a mode of thought in the heaps of dead bodies that history has piled up, committed always by leaders who tell us they only meant to protect us from evil. I just will not accept that. —JK

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

The Vosgian Beast posted:

That's a big plus for SF
You can create scenarios that would never exist in the real world and examine them as such. It's like saying Blade is an evil movie, because in real life there wouldn't be any vampires and he'd just be murderizing normal people.

That's not what he's saying in his argument though. He's not arguing that Ender's Game is evil because if it was in the real world, he'd be evil. He's arguing that Ender's Game has a flawed ethical system where people are good or evil only by merit of their intentions, and that the book is constructed in such a way that a "good" person (as judged by the ethical system evident in the book) can commit genocide while remaining innocent.

He isn't arguing against intention having any bearing on ethics, he's arguing against an ethical system where intentions are the be-all and end-all of ethics, which is the system he argues Ender's Game operates under.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I'm not even sure what your complaint about his article is. If it's that he's arguing for consequentialist ethics, he isn't, and consequentialism doesn't even come up except in the sense that he argues against Card's intention-based ethics.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I'm also really mad about Chris making a bad joke, because he never does that on purpose,

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I prefer Semaphor Calibur V for its eight-directional signalling system

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I dislike rock bios and like mainstream authors, goodbye!

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I was a lovely fantasy kid and barely listened to anything that wasn't folk music, particularly English folk like Steeleye Span, though I did listen to American stuff too (but not like Woodie Guthrie, more obscure stuff like The Kennedys).

I discovered Rush when I was nineteen years old and it blew my mind. Then I discovered Muse and Ke$ha when I was twenty and they both likewise blew my mind.

I'm not good at music :smith:

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I've heard two Doors songs before, and while I knew that Jim Morrison was a thing, I didn't know that he was in The Doors and I think I just assumed he was the same person as Morrisey.

I only knew The Doors was a band because the youth center on post once had some kind of scavenger hunt clearly written by dads because knowing that The Doors was a band was a requirement for guessing one of the clues.

edit: and before anyone thinks I'm trying to come off like a cool sexhaver, everything I listened to until my third year in college was what could charitably be called fruity bard music. I would call it ren faire music but I was too shy to go to the ren faire as a kid because I thought it was way too cool of a thing for me.

Djeser fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 11, 2017

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I like Read It And Weep, my only complaint about it recently is they've been doing less "bad stuff" and more "I wanted to talk about this"

But honestly, the only podcast you need for Modelland is the one where Sydnee McElroy explains to Justin McElroy the plot of Modelland, chapter by chapter, for over two hours.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Christmas songs are effing sweet eff you

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I Before E posted:

Christmas music is a vast wasteland, but the good ones are very good.

A good illustration of that is what Spotify has termed "Christmas Product". But stuff like Sufjan Stevens' Songs for Christmas and Silver and Gold are real good.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I Before E posted:

I should check that out closer to Christmas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L7XcjR4JW4

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I only care about it insofar as it takes up a lot of time at the beginning of an episode when they could probably condense it to a more pragmatic "hey, trigger warning: homophobic slurs, on with the show". I'm not upset at them trying to be good people, and I get the sense that a good portion of their fanbase are sensitive to the sorts of things they call out at the beginnings of episodes. I'm not sensitive to that stuff but then privilege etc.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Just get Jay to write a jingle for it. :sax:

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I imagine the content warning jingle being like this part of Disgust:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3qgp4-TeE8&t=174s

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I really appreciate their attempt at describing Thom Yorke

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

they were all "ugh ew gross" during the omegaverse hour but that wasn't even that gross compared to cummingonfigurines or dakimakura

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

i mean with the F Plus you're grading on a scale that includes foot sniffing, food loving, and burning your dick on the car you were having sex with so bad you have to poke a new pee hole in it

it really opens your eyes up to how many varieties of gross there are

edit: I forgot which thread I was posting in and figured this was the F Plus thread, whoops. (i mean what's the difference anyway)

Djeser fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Apr 11, 2017

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

There's two good articles I've read on Dilbert Guy's terrible philosophy: https://thebaffler.com/this-american-carnage/dilberts-revenge-adams-gais and the influence that Dilbert has had on the workplace and how it fits into a broader trend of trying to make corporations seem 'personal': https://thebaffler.com/salvos/the-gaudy-and-damned-no-2

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Why the gently caress is the Iron Giant in a movie about 80s nostalgia?

RPO isn't just 80's nostalgia though it is primarily that, it's also got a bunch of other nerd references to make you feel like "hey I know that thing". I remember Stargate and World of Warcraft being explicitly called out, among many, many others that it wasn't worth remembering.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

In the actual book, it's not just one page, it's a two-page spread that's entirely a list of media the main character has consumed.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

http://www.idontevenownatelevision.com/2017/09/17/090-a-shot-of-whiskey-and-a-kiss-youll-regret-in-the-morning/

New episode, this time about a book of poetry by a lovely Instagram poet who had to stay home from work when the internet found out about his lovely poetry.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

is this thread just a zone where people get angry about everyone or what

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Also Yost's poems are some straight up bad poetry. They gave me flashbacks to TV Tropes poetry in one of the old mockthreads, except douche-flavored instead of pocky-flavored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I listen to three hour podcast episodes of dithering nerds talking about individual dark souls levels, get on my level :unsmigghh: