Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
Neat! thank you. I am on vacation next week so it will be good to check these out. Podcasts can be so hit and miss. It's hard to find one with staying power and non obnoxious hosts.

Illinois Smith posted:

I added this to my feed when WHM was doing reruns last summer. It's pretty good, not as funny or gross as WHM though. On the plus side, they do lots of lovely musician bios, which is a genre my best bud made me read a lot of as a teenager.

I never found WHM really gross. Their mailbags had some poop stories for a while but the main show is pretty tame. I tried the Jim Sterling game podcast on a suggestion from a friend and every episode they almost make a point of grossing out the listener or shocking them. I dropped it fairly quickly (2/3s of the hosts are irritating). I just can't listen to about 90% of the "Lou Reads" podcast it's so gross. This might help for peoples metric for grossness.

Looking forward to checking this out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
I have started listening to this podcast since the thread started and I am working through the back catalog. I am really enjoying the chilled out style these guys have and the obvious planning and effort that they put in. (Not to mention the sweet stingers) I tried to sell my friend on it, but he did not see the point of a podcast about bad books 95% of which I have not read or ever will read. I think he makes a decent point, but the knowledge, insight and references to other books and literary culture these guys bring to the table can be pretty hilarious & enlightening at times.

That Money, Pizza, respect book sounded loving insufferable and they have my respect and sympathy.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
I had my doors phase after my first break-up. My future stood on the edge of a knife on that one. Luckily I never bought into the Jim Morrison cult. it was probably because Wayne's World 2 had just come out and that destroyed a lot of the Shaman credibility. I just really liked some of their songs. I have maybe 4 Doors songs on my big music playlist and I still like them.

Listening to the guys viciously rip the piss out of the whole Doors scene was great. They really do get to the core of these things sometimes.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

flesh dance posted:

I haven't listened to the new episode, but speaking of overzealous "ooooooh boy this thing is so lovely, yikes, I dare not speak a word of it, but will instead elaborate on just how much I won't speak a word of it!!" to this day I'm still curious about what possibly could've happened to elicit that response in Hammer of the Gods, a book about a band I'm not even into. I mean, I can probably hazard a guess, but still, I hate that sort of poo poo. Either mention it or don't. The whole premise of this show is about how bad books are bad, and they tend to go in the direction of dancing around those bad things rather than leaning right into them, which does the whole thing a disservice imo.

I listen to a lot of different podcasts and haven't gotten around to a huge portion of this one, so maybe I've just randomly picked ones where this happens a lot, I dunno

Glad to see I am not the only one who feels this way. And after checking in on this thread after a few months it's great to see that so many people feel like I do about their content stuff. On one hand, I appreciate how they want to respect the audience and mention they may be talking about things that make people uncomfortable. But the CONSTANT handwringing over it is becoming a bit of a downer. The jingle idea is right on and it means they can address it and maintain a slightly upbeat attitude. Otherwise it feels like I am listening to the notes on the autopsy of a relative.

I totally get that they are pilloried on social media for this stuff. But I think at some point you have to cut your losses and expect a little discretion from the audience. If you mention there are themes that may include issues that generally make people uncomfortable, then they have to respect that when they go into it.

The reason I quoted Flesh Dance is because that really bugged me in that episode. It's not that I want to hear horrible things. But listening to someone discuss something in an obtuse way without actually addressing it was very, very frustrating. I am getting really tired of just listening to them afraid to have fun.

I agree the guys should go back to pulp books for a while to cleanse the palette. WHM made the same mistake this month with their patreon listener request stuff. They were stuck doing a bunch of horrible films they would never do in a million years and they really struggled.

Also, does anyone else think that Jay was blazing up while Chris was doing his dramatic reading? you can totally hear him coughing loudly and he has the old sour throat when he gets back.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Sham bam bamina! posted:

What are you talking about? Ultraviolet was a "classic ep" if there's ever been one.

That show is kind of like The Flop House in that the harder it is for them to stay focused on a movie, the easier it is for them to spin off into lovably ridiculous tangents like sperm heists and fat spies.

Oh I agree, the whole "Heat/cum heist" tangent was the funniest stuff they came out with in months. It was more the patreon picks and a few episodes around them I felt were a bit down. The Last Airbender was certainly a slog for them, Tango and Cash, Retroactive and My Father the Hero all felt a little weak to me. But look, that said those guys can spin gold out of bullshit and every episode had laughs exactly like your Flop house comparison. But after listening to them for hundreds of hours. You can tell when they are having a tough time which they seemed to have the last few weeks. Especially with Eric who usually busts out the most hilarious non sequiturs, but just seems a bit off. It might just be me. My theory is that they block recorded like 3 or 4 episodes and were burning out near the end.

The Ultraviolet episode was great because they could really sink their teeth into it in a way they couldn't with a kind of blandishly decent film like Tango and Cash or an aggressively boring film like The Last Airbender. They sounded like they were having more fun. I follow them on patreon and I was a little concerned that they were stretching themselves too thin. I am not being critical, far from it. It can't be easy for all these podcasters to be legitimately funny and clever every week on top of everything else.

Edit: Confirmed, go to 35:50 of the last episode and blast the volume, you can clearly hear the bong rip, combined with what Chris is reading it's like some kind of hilarious audio art project.

Lonos Oboe fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
"She was like a candle in the wind....unreliable"

"As a writer, I make my own rules up okay. If I wanna start a sentence with a full-stop I will. If I want to highlight social prejudice, I will, but I'll do it my way. And sometimes you actually have to be a bigot, in order to bring down bigger bigots."

"He whisked off her shoes and panties in one movement, wild like an enraged shark, his bulky totem beating a seductive rhythm. Mary's body felt like it was burning, even though the room was properly air-conditioned. They tried all the positions: on top, doggy, and normal. Exhausted, they collapsed on to the recently extended sofa bed. Then a hellbeast ate them."

You could fill a thread with Garth Marenghi quotes. Or rewatch the whole thing. it's like 3 hours.