Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Yes. I don't think it's creepy, but it might not be very interesting to you.

Judy Blume has a wonderful talent for understanding how situations look and feel to kids, and is equally skilled at expressing such. Hell, Superfudge has become really trendy in our school's library this past month, and my kids really don't like "old books "

A lot of old children's/YA literature was very clearly written by adults who had no idea how children actually speak, so they either sound like mini-adults or like idolized "Well golly gee ma, I would never" caricatures. Blume was one of the first authors who wrote child characters that acted and sounded like their own age. Are You There God? It's Me ,Margaret was written in 1970 and hardly seemed dated at all when I read it as a tween in the early 2000s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

As an additional supplement to the podcast here is William Poundstone's Keeler News article "'Trapped in the Closet': The Webwork Opera" http://mysteriousmri2.googlepages.com/65kn.pdf

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

RandomPauI posted:

I don't know why I listen to this podcast when so many of the books they review are painful to listen about. Does anyone else do this?

Some of them are fun to make fun of though. Like the recent Ace Frehley one. Autobiographies of stupid musicians tend to be funny because they're just so sincere in their stupidity.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I refuse to believe that Skillset Magazine is not satire.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Man, I was excited to see that an episode dropped last week and I hadn’t noticed. Put it on in the car and heard it had the people from the worst bestsellers on it and turned it right off. Major bummer. I just cannot stand their voices at all.

But they just sound like ordinary average women? To my ears anyway. The Worst Bestsellers podcast is great too because they explore genres IDEOTV stays away from. Bad romance and YA novels are their own special kind of hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I generally like this podcast despite its flaws, but this latest episode had basically everything that drives me nuts about it dialed up to 11, from the long warning at the beginning, to Chris purple prosing his way through plot in a goddamn hour, to whatever that “crap colored glasses” hairsplitting was. Does it get better after the first twenty minutes?

One of the dramatic readings was HELL TANNER's ultimate John Galt speech that I thought was kinda funny. I personally don't mind digressions and overanalyzing but I listen to podcasts to fill dead air time anyway so my standards are low.

also the Hawkwind song about Damnation Alley they mention is weirdly cheerful for such a grimdark book. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aHR0JAro8w