Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I don't think I'll ever get tired of the little segment jingles.

RUSSIAN ROULETTE

RUSSIAN ROULETTE

RUSSIAN ROULETTE

(NOT ACTUALLY RUSSIAN)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

The Vosgian Beast posted:

To continue a discussion from the F-Plus thread: Have I just been running in weird circles or is Armor generally considered a minor classic of SF? Because I heard a lot of praise for that book over the years.

I even tried reading it myself, but got too annoyed and bored during the Jack Crow stuff to bother.

Sci-fi books are like horror movies in that as time passes they will always find people who latch onto them as an under-appreciated gem regardless of actual quality

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I've never heard of this guy before this episode of the podcast.

I've seen a bunch of takedowns of him as of late from comedians who are super bitter that he got advertising offers/a book deal/a TV offer off of reblogging their stuff without attribution but thankfully when they came out his TV offer dried up and he started (begrudgingly) crediting people.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Basically imagine all the rage that sites like Ebaum's World or FunnyJunk got only instead of having the plausible deniability of being sites where everything is uploaded by users it's one incredibly shameless individual knowingly doing everything.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
New ep just dropped, it's on perennial piece of bad internet fiction Sass Girls X.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
"FUCKYOUFUCKYOUFUCKYOUFUCKYOUFUCKYOUFUCKYOUFUCKYOUFUCKYOUFUCKYOUFUCKYOUFUCKYOUFUCKYOU"

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Not surprising; it's only Slipknot fans who are going to read it in the first place.

And very confused Slipnuts fans.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
This is a great episode. Don’t make fun of renowned Dan Brown is also some primo side-splitting at the expense of Dan Brown's writing style.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Collision is a fine co-host and I enjoy his voice but the fact that he comes from a similar background to Friedman means that they seem to have a bit too much overlap with their interests and blind spots. It's why I like when other people come on, they actually break up the music/wrestling/gen X stuff that otherwise dominates the normal episodes.

J mentions this on the episode, but it really is surprising that Da Vinci Code is a bigger hit than Angels and Demons, because even though it's still not a good book, poo poo at least happens in Angels and Demons

Seriously. A race against time to stop someone from using antimatter to blow up the Vatican and having a bunch of creepy elaborate murders based on the four alchemical elements was actually somewhat interesting. Even if the big evil henchman was an even more egregious stereotype than DaVinci Code's murderous albino, in this case a dangerously swarthy arab assassin with a literal boner for murdering white women.

And I never read any of the sequels but apparently one ends with Langdon choosing the render half the earth infertile via viral pandemic, which is just all kinds of :wtf:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

The snail in a maze made of salt at 1:55 :perfect:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The existence of book trailers has always been baffling to me, publishers swear by it and cite marketing polls but it's always felt like a dying industry blindly grasping at whatever they can to look hip and relevant and everyone just playing along because they assume they know what they're doing. Having an entire companion film like this seems like the logical extension of that and I'm glad it seems to have crashed and burned.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
This was the first episode I couldn't finish, mostly because of how terrible the guest and her constant loud HAWHAWHAW-ing was.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Amanda Palmer is such an oddly persistent punching bag for weird internet sweatbeards, I'd like to think a guy who raps about making fun of anime clubs and novelty pirate rappers would know better than to stoop to that level.

Alaois posted:

i know, jokes escape me too

Recognizing that something is a joke doesn't make said joke actually funny. Unless you're in the studio audience for a sitcom.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
It's not a real thing because if you're at the point where you have to criticise the imagined motivations for a person's actions rather than the actions themselves then you've already lost. It's like an even more insufferable version of accusing other people of being philosophical zombies.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Woof, that Timeline ep was a miss. I really don't like their recent trend of picking more well-known books that aren't really outrageous enough to be entertaining to just describe and dissect on their own and then also forgetting to make jokes and just taking potshots at the author and readers instead.

Like, I know that Michael Crichton was a hack with some weird hang-ups but pointing that out over and over isn't really entertaining or why I started listening to this podcast, no matter how many :iceburn:s about nerds they drop while doing it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lumbermouth posted:

And the reason that it's a previously recorded episode is that Heston died of cancer this week.

RIP little click-clack bulldog buddy :(

RIP Heston, died too soon and still outlived J's marriage.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I knew a Dilbert Guy book would be insane, but not that insane.

By favorite bit of Scott Adams banal insanity is his argument that he can cure cancer with his mind powers because once he felt a lump on his throat and he hoped really hard that it wasn't cancer and then when a doctor finally looked at it it turned out that it wasn't cancer.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Jay loving Undertale was awesome and also completely unexpected.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I wonder how soul crushing it must be for them that the trailer for Ready Player One uses Rush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE71JOvLPvE

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Why the gently caress is the Iron Giant in a movie about 80s nostalgia?

Also why go to all the trouble of making a film whose base appeal is almost entirely on the fact that it's crammed full of pop culture characters and then use such a desaturated and murky visual style that you can't even see half of them? I guess that generic Hollywood blockbuster aesthetic is still better than the awful faux 80s Kung Fury look but it's still bad.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Lord, give me the confidence of a mediocre white noise poster.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Now just rephrase this slightly but continually and repeat it for 3 hours and you'll get the experience of that season of BFSC

Garry Butterfield and Kole Ross would make for good IDEOATV guests. And they are published authors thanks to Souls of Darkness so they could even fit the theme.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I've read this book and it's fuckin wild

The only think Koontz loves writing about more than superintelligent dogs is stoic manly men who stop supernatural threats by shooting them.

http://www.deankoontz.com/trixie/

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Last Action Hero, Cable Guy, and Starship Troopers are like the holy trinity of 90s movies that weren't that great but have had people hailing them as underrated gems almost since the day they came out on the grounds that people didn't get that they were satires. And it's like, OK but whether or not people didn't get that these were supposed to be satire that doesn't make them any better as films.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtUQNxp02mE

J is bae.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
So I took a break from 372 Pages We'll Never Get Back after getting burned out on the internet backlash against Ready Player One leading up the movie's release (unsurprisingly it also devolved into a bunch of terrible nerds reciting lists of references and parroting catchphrases at each other) and what the gently caress happened to that show? I knew that Mike Nelson was conservative and Christian but he mostly kept it out the podcast so I never really cared, but then the first episode I come back to is co-hosted by his tryhard hip cool pastor and the entire opening is them shilling for their Christianity podcast they host together. It's astoundingly tone-deaf for a guy who harps at length about Cline pushing his atheism in his books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The Simpsons is one of those things like Saturday Night Live and late night talk shows where there was a time when they were genuinely important and subversive and hugely popular but they just kept going long past the point where anyone cared and aside from the odd annual slow news day puff piece about what pop culture figure they totally eviscerated that year they may as well have been put down a generation ago. That said its ratings peaked in its second season and it spent most of its golden years still several dozen spots down on the Nielsen ratings of the time, it was never on the same level of something like Cheers or Seinfeld in terms of actual popularity even if the fans it did have were fairly devoted. The guys who run Talking Simpsons did an episode of their old show about the history of the simpsons that deals a lot with why people at the time hold the show in such high esteem and why it was so important in more or less inventing the modern television animation production pipeline. http://www.lasertimepodcast.com/2017/06/19/how-the-simpsons-changed-the-world-laser-time/