Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Finally got a chance to hear the Valley of the Dolls episode after a very busy week or so. This was classic IDEOTV, right up there with Flowers in the Attic.

Yes; Valley of the Dolls is one of my all-time favorite books (I know it's not good, OKAY) and I was pretty pleased with the results. I wish they'd, like, MST3K the movie. That is a garbage loving film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

great, now I have to anticipate this magnificence for the next eight hours until I get home from work!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I really like it when they do band books. I think those are some of my favorite episodes.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Spark That Bled posted:

Band books are the episodes I hate the most, usually because it means that it enables the things I hate the most about these guys: extra large music snobbery.

And being mightily offended on the behalf of women everywhere. Which, thanks, but take that energy and put it towards politics.

That said, there's nothing funnier than the Motley Crue book, and hearing it read out loud just makes it better.

Spark That Bled posted:

I'd rather listen to the Dragonlance book review again than any of their band book reviews. And they said that book was worse than a book written by an actual misogynist and joke plagiarist.

The Dragonlance book song was loving hilarious, though!

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Band books are the best episodes and Jim Morrison should be poo poo upon at every possible second.

Yes. Yes. A thousand times yes.

I don't know why they were so derisive about Jerry Hopkins, though. Bangkok Babylon was a pretty entertaining read and he seemed cool enough on Bourdain's show.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Alaois posted:

you feed chinese kids soylent so you can tell the internet about it

Yup; it had nothing to do with what we were studying at the time and I totally forced them to drink it. Did it for the lulz. What's that got to do with IDEOTV, though?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

ManoliIsFat posted:

IDK how someone could like Jay but not like his musician dorkdom or liberal sentiments.

I like that he's liberal, I just don't think that poor treatment of women by legendary poo poo musicians needs to be focused on. It's a comedy podcast and I'd rather not feel sad.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I re-listened to the Left Behind episode this morning and Chris reading the passage where the flight attendant talks about how sad it is that her sister's abortion clinic is going out of business because people can't have babies since the Rapture* made me laugh way too loud in public.

*Paraphrasing

e:

Sham bam bamina! posted:

To meet their sanctimonious insufferability quota for the quarter.
This also made me laugh out loud, truth be told.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

hoobajoo posted:

Not saying you guys don't exist, just saying I'm not surprised when someone does like Undertale. It's pretty well liked.

Dunno what Undertale is, but if that is an Ebichu avatar, you are cool.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

The cover art is actually worse than the animation for Liberty's Kids.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

The long-awaited Rush-themed spinoff podcast: Rush, Revered.

okay jwfcc, please give me your internet monies

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Awesome. Between this and the Rush Revere episode, it's looking like they've finally figured out that laughing at lovely books is more fun and worthwhile than getting bent out of shape over politics.

That's kind of a relief. They ruined the Scruples and Valley of the Dolls episodes with that poo poo. "The OTHER F-word," how bloody coy. Think we used to smug that exact line back and forth in freshman year of college before we re-realized that unsavory nomenclature in older books isn't always meant as a slur. See also: Huckleberry Finn.

I am in no way advocating the use of hurtful language.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Whoever was saying it, Twain wasn't using it hatefully.

THANK YOU. Jesus. That's literally all I meant.

And you can avoid saying certain words while not simultaneously scream-giggling over how offensive they are. That's performative and unnecessary. Which was my other point!

I don't use racial slurs, you honky crackers, but I've had to reference specific lines of a work while teaching in a classroom and managed to effectively do so without going "OOoooOOOohhh the N-WOOOOORD URRRRR IT'S BAD *snortgiggle*"

A Pinball Wizard posted:

What bugged me most was the whole "lock your doors, hide your children, cover your ears, we're gonna say a bad word!" song and dance right before, and then they bleeped it anyway. Maybe it's just because I have memories of that word being thrown around a lot more casually, but I would think either just skipping it or saying it with a "yeah it's not cool" disclaimer would be more than enough. Doing what they did gives it way too much power.

Especially since J goes on later in the same ep to say the n word casually when saying the name of a song. :eng99:

yeah this!

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 8, 2017

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Drunkboxer posted:

I'm betting it's a Choose Your Own Adventure book, those are all very short.

That would be so fun!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Hunh, I prefer Chris. No real reason why.

I wish they'd do more classical lit, too, while I'm posting in here.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Drunkboxer posted:

What classic lit episodes have they done? I'd rather not have them try to take A Pilgrim's Progress or something down a few pegs if that's what you're suggesting.

I don't know, it might be pretty funny to hear them do Pilgrim's Progress. I was thinking today that I'd enjoy how angry Tess of the d'Urbervilles would make them.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

This might be the most deserving book they've ever mocked. (I didn't listen to the Rush Revere episode because I figured the combined insufferability would melt my brain.)

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

The longer, the better, for me.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I read Hollywood Wives because of this podcast and actually it wasn't THAT bad for what it was??? Better than Scruples, Twopuls, or Thrupuls, anyways.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Happy 90th birthday to Scruples genius, Judith Krantz!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Starship Troopers gets better and funnier every time I see it. I know it has nothing to do with the book- which I GASP actually liked- but it's just such fun garbage.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

My husband hates IDEOTV and loved that dong. Telling him it was J was hilarious!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Hahaha I'm not changing it!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Jurgan posted:

The Facebook group actually spends most of its time posting pictures of crabs.

And that one girl who literally posts every SJW thought that comes across her mind. In the Party Pit. For some reason.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I am working in a school library this year, and guess what the most popular book is among the high schoolers?

Ready Player loving One.

Second most popular is that dumbass Selection series, which I hope ends up on IDEOTV. I think it would bring such exquisite rage.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

The Vosgian Beast posted:

At least it isn't Piers Anthony

We don't have any of his books, thank God. I have enough trouble not rolling my eyes at the Sooper hxc0re kid who always wants to talk about The Fountainhead.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I...would like it if teenagers read books of worth that are well-written, not hugely sexist, and not basically the Family Guy version of Ender's Game? Is that really a sign of my encroaching evil?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I never listen to the letters, which is mean of me as they've read two of mine.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Am I the only one who can't find a copy of Wild Animus? The only one in the entire world? :smith:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Do you guys just not have Half Price Books where you live?

(Incidentally, I once saw Level 26: Dark Origins there too.)

Not in Spain :smith: but I do hit up used English books wherever I can! I've had better luck in rural France with that than I have here, oddly enough.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

TWB is my favorite. There's also Teen Creeps if you, too, are a Christopher Pike Phase Survivor (they do other stuff, too, of course).

I am still crossing my fingers that someone will do a Lurlene McDaniels book; those horrified me even as a child and I'm sure they'd be hilarious now.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Episodes on The Tachyon Web AND The Starlight Crystal? Hell yeah. No Choose Your Own Adventures, though. :(

But they also did My Sweet Audrina, and now I have to read it because it they made it sound SO CRAZY.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

NO, they don't gently caress, they all Christian. And Amish. Frequently Amish.

It's hurt comfort fiction aimed at reinforcing traditional gender roles, and also they are dumb, poorly-written, formulaic garbage. Like, imagine the opposite of Judy Blume.

Girls in my fifth grade class were loving obsessed with them, those and Sunfire romance novels, which I loved because there was totally kissing BUT mostly they were historical novels about girls kicking rear end. Also terrible formulaic, but way better. (Willo Davis Roberts!!!)

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Jurgan posted:

The Worst Bestsellers, episode 56: Angels Watching Over Me.

Omg how did I miss it THAAAANK YOOOOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

RandomPauI posted:

My bad. Horror movies have me primed to associate "teen has sex" with "teen dies".

Coach Carr?!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Jurgan posted:

So kind of like Stephanie Meyer?

To be honest, I think they're worse. At least there were SOME interesting female characters and a bit of diversity in Twilight. And I'll go to bat for The Host; I liked the concept a lot.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Those Maze Runner books are so meh; I don't get why they're still popular.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

They are at my school, but not as popular as they were last year.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

RandomPauI posted:

I'm a 36 year old guy and Judy Bloom comes up in Worst Bestseller often enough to pique my interest. Should I give any of her books a read.

Yes. I don't think it's creepy, but it might not be very interesting to you.

Judy Blume has a wonderful talent for understanding how situations look and feel to kids, and is equally skilled at expressing such. Hell, Superfudge has become really trendy in our school's library this past month, and my kids really don't like "old books "

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

If they are mean about Holes, I will put them on the nineteenth floor with Miss Zarves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

but

there is no Miss Zarves

Correct response!