Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

My Hondas were very good to me but I never want to hear that starter sound again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I have now two paid-off cars, soon to be a paid off house and no debt. Why the gently caress am I looking at Lotus Elises on autotrader? God, I'm loving stupid.

E:aww, I found my old miata on autotrader :-( Poor thing looks like nobody loved it in the past year and it's all dusty and gross. Now I'm sad I sold it.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 1, 2016

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Put everyone in the UK on a points system, export them to Greece when they gently caress up. Problem solved.

Well I suppose I get to live in a country with sunshine at last! :/

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

McTinkerson posted:

Alright guys (and gals), I need a sanity check. I've got one of my FB RX-7's listed for sale. http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/st-albert/1985-mazda-rx-7-gs-coupe-2-door/1169471148?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I have one guy interested, he however wants a mechanical inspection because he's been "burned in the past" and keeps referencing head gaskets, etc.
I don't have insurance or registration on the car now, nor will I ever put them on. Given that it's a $2000 car at most and that I specifically mention that it would make a great rally-x beater, I'm inclined not to bend over backwards for this guy since he's most likely wasting my time and would be in waaay over his head with it anyways.

Thoughts?

Can you tell him that since it's not insured or registered, you're not going to drive it to a shop, and if he wants it done he can have it trailered over or get a mechanic who does house calls?

Basically a politer way to say "gently caress off".

Edit: also I just realized he mentioned head gaskets in reference to an RX-7, this poor fucker

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

McTinkerson posted:

Alright guys (and gals), I need a sanity check. I've got one of my FB RX-7's listed for sale. http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/st-albert/1985-mazda-rx-7-gs-coupe-2-door/1169471148?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I have one guy interested, he however wants a mechanical inspection because he's been "burned in the past" and keeps referencing head gaskets, etc.
I don't have insurance or registration on the car now, nor will I ever put them on. Given that it's a $2000 car at most and that I specifically mention that it would make a great rally-x beater, I'm inclined not to bend over backwards for this guy since he's most likely wasting my time and would be in waaay over his head with it anyways.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't bother. When I sold my SVX I let one guy have a mechanic look it over and it was a complete waste of time.

They almost always have a completely unrealistic expectations of what is acceptable on a cheap sports car and are going to get scared regardless of what the mechanic says.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BloodBag posted:

I have now two paid-off cars, soon to be a paid off house and no debt. Why the gently caress am I looking at Lotus Elises on autotrader? God, I'm loving stupid.

E:aww, I found my old miata on autotrader :-( Poor thing looks like nobody loved it in the past year and it's all dusty and gross. Now I'm sad I sold it.

That sounds like the best time to get an Elise :getin:

Finding your old cars for sale is an odd one. I found my old Volvo once, it's gone at least 30-40k miles since I sold it.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Can you tell him that since it's not insured or registered, you're not going to drive it to a shop, and if he wants it done he can have it trailered over or get a mechanic who does house calls?

Basically a politer way to say "gently caress off".

Edit: also I just realized he mentioned head gaskets in reference to an RX-7, this poor fucker

Yeah this is about as far as I'd go in this situation. I wasted a bunch of time with some jackass who insisted on having a mechanic look over my old Ranger, and freaked out when they gave him a list a mile long to make a $2500 truck with nearly 200k miles on it "like new".

In hindsight, I should've asked him for a $100 non-refundable deposit. Oh well, sold it a week later to a kid who had his dad drive it about a quarter mile before he signed off on it.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Put everyone in the UK on a points system, export them to Greece when they gently caress up. Problem solved.

No this is a bad idea since it means my family will be kicked out and I will have to get them into the US before the wall goes up.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

BloodBag posted:

I've got two bikes and a nice truck bought and paid for and now I'm looking at more bikes... something something n+1.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Holy poo poo I just found out that Nutserts are a thing! http://kk.org/cooltools/26740/

I've been trying to figure out how to mount a dead pedal to my Jeep for a while now, and was about to JB-weld it in place.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

Holy poo poo I just found out that Nutserts are a thing!

Oh what A Thing they are, when the bolt seizes and they spin...
Or pull out. There's definitely a lot of places they should not be used where people put them anyway. Truck/van outfitters and body-jobbers are bad for this (usually the same ones that are responsible for most of the Factory OEM Scotchlocks I've seen).

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

What I'm hearing is that I should use anti seize.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

McTinkerson posted:

Thoughts?

I think we should hire some camp followers and get them to trailer it around behind us during the rally as a spare.

Maybe some cooks too.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Slung Blade posted:

I think we should hire some camp followers and get them to trailer it around behind us during the rally as a spare.

Maybe some cooks too.

Good avatar for expressing this sentiment.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

McTinkerson posted:

Thoughts?

I would just say to him "look dude, if you don't already know what you are getting into with this thing, and are less than 100% comfortable with it then I wouldn't buy this car."

From the May chat thread:

Pham Nuwen posted:

Indian mother in laws what up.
She may want to put a knife under the baby's pillow, I recommend acquiring a stiff folding knife if your wife wants it too.
This is the price you're paying for eager babysitting at any time
Edit: tell her no Fair & Lovely on the baby. Indian people get really weird about fair skin.
I often forget I've lived my life in an isolated bubble when it comes to our culture. My mum used to be a theology teacher and knows all about religious praxis for a bunch of different faiths, and my dad was the only Indian in his town during the 60's & 70's. As a result, I was never raised with the superstitious, or traditional side of the culture. I know all about it, but I've always been on the outside looking in. Which I guess is why it seems so strange to me why it was real important that both mum's poured mustard oil on the doorway before we brought the baby through it, or why skin tone is an indicator of beauty.

Besides, isn't Fair & Lovely banned because it's some sort of dangerous chemical? I've never actually seen it anywhere outside of India.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Fair & Lovely™ has been rebranded as White Pride World Wide™.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Tommychu posted:

Oh what A Thing they are, when the bolt seizes and they spin...
Or pull out. There's definitely a lot of places they should not be used where people put them anyway. Truck/van outfitters and body-jobbers are bad for this (usually the same ones that are responsible for most of the Factory OEM Scotchlocks I've seen).

Lol guess which luxury high end manufacturer uses these things everywhere and for everything

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Whoa I can ride the bus to work when I move. Get hype.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

Don't ever pm me dude, just saying.

Us fat guys need to stick together.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

corn in the fridge posted:

Lol guess which luxury high end manufacturer uses these things everywhere and for everything

Which

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

McTinkerson posted:

Thoughts?
You're asking for trouble and like what happened with 1500q nothing good will come out of it for you. The absolute best result is you can hope for is to sell it, but you'll eventually sell it anyhow. It's down to how badly you want him to buy it. If he seems like a good guy and you're willing to help him out you can tell him you'd OK with someone doing a compression test on it (or other minor look-see stuff) but absolutely no disassembly of anything because of his :airquote:MECHANIC:airquote: starts taking poo poo apart you're going to be on the hook for putting it back together/making it right if he just packs up and leaves.. or worse yet puts it back together badly.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 1, 2016

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Yeah, it's worth noting that with my situation it started out as "I want to take it to a Subaru dealership mechanic" and ended up in some 60 year old chain smoking Asian dude's garage that his mom's buick pulled out of with a screaming power steering pump and then me and the dude looking at the car yelling at each other.

At the end of the day it's just a giant red flag that the person wants reliable transportation for under $5k and instead of looking at a generic entry level sedan owned by a senior citizen thinks he's going to get some sportscar 2-3x as old that's equally reliable for the same price.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

McTinkerson posted:

Thoughts?

Tell him you can guarantee it will never, ever, ever have head gasket issues.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Us fat guys need to stick together.

But I'm not fat?

I told you, I have a girlish figure tee hee

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Safety Dance posted:

Holy poo poo I just found out that Nutserts are a thing! http://kk.org/cooltools/26740/

I've been trying to figure out how to mount a dead pedal to my Jeep for a while now, and was about to JB-weld it in place.

The factory roof rack on a Cherokee is mounted using nutserts. Mine didn't have a roof rack, so I learned how to use them.
The Astro 1442 is a great tool: https://www.amazon.com/Astro-1442-T...kduckgo-ffsb-20

If you're only doing a couple, a high-strength bolt, a larger nut, and a couple washers can get the job done.
And yes, on the anti-seize, but that goes for almost any bolt on a car I might be working on again.

Enourmo posted:

Tell him you can guarantee it will never, ever, ever have head gasket issues.

There ya go! I've got one with no compression, but no head gasket issues at all!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Indian mom chat is yet another reason why I love this forum so much. Knowledge from around the world.

So I'm wrapping up an engine swap on a 2007 Volvo C70 today, and Ford is all over this thing. The entire suspension is Ford designed, and as I'm trying to shove the air box back in to the engine bay, the official procedure is to loosen one of the mounts and move the motor. It was a bitch to get out, worse to get in. Volvo never did that kind of crap to me.

On the plus side it's gonna be a gorgeous car. I haven't been taking pics or anything because I'm a newbie at this motor and made several mistakes taking it out. And I hope there's never a next time.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Phone posted:

Whoa I can ride the bus to work when I move. Get hype.

Bus wanker!

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

You have to guess

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Tomarse posted:

Bus wanker!

I'm not going to be able to hear you over the sound of me playing video games on my commute... But I guess I can read your posts, too, hmmm... Maybe I should think this one through a bit more.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Does high milage oil actually do anything or is it just a marketing gimmick?

Cobalt update:

I have the following work planned for the weekend:
- oil change (with a blackstone analysis. I WILL NOT FORGET THIS TIME)
- air filter
- cabin air filter
- sway bar link replacement
- borrow sister's Green Machine carpet cleaner and clean the seats/carpet

Ah gently caress. :argh:

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 1, 2016

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

MustardFacial posted:

I haven't noticed a price difference so I doubt its a gimmick. They claim it has voodoo magic detergents and whatnot that ease your aging engine's arthritic components.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Phone posted:

I'm not going to be able to hear you over the sound of me playing video games on my commute... But I guess I can read your posts, too, hmmm... Maybe I should think this one through a bit more.

If there was a reasonably priced, punctual and speedy bus service that went directly where I wanted to go I'd be all over it too!

I'm becoming a fan of using the bus to go out drinking with mates. Much cheaper than a taxi. Cheaper even than evening/overnight parking in town, and more importantly now that I can no longer drink like I could 10 years ago, the last bus gets me home before midnight so that I don't lose the next day being hungover.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

MustardFacial posted:

I tried a bunch of different oils both cheap and pricey/in various weights on my Jeep - it ran quieter on Castrol high-mileage than anything else so I usually feed it that. It'll run fine on anything but some are louder than others.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Hey Dodge why not build customer orders before random stuff? :argh:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

But I'm not fat?

I told you, I have a girlish figure tee hee

Uh huh.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

corn in the fridge posted:

You have to guess

Guessing its aston martin

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Presented without comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQGawWqJdfs

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
My now 1 week old daughter who has no real immune system to speak of now has an eye infection because despite my best efforts of saying to my family "Don't bring anyone over", "wash your hands before you pick her up", "she's not a loving toy your morons, leave her alone" it seems they didn't listen. On top of that, when my wife took her to the doctor she left our front door wide open.

I'm not allowed to be mad at her of course because "I don't need this right now." This all happened while I was at work because my boss wouldn't give me the time off I asked for because as he says "there is paperwork to do that needs to be done before the end of the month." Why can't anyone else do it? Well that's because I am the youngest person in this office by at least 30 years, and thus I'm the only person who knows how to use a computer :fuckoff:

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 1, 2016

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Just the type of youtube link you'd get from a comic book guy.

BTW, I have one of those in my Escalade.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

Just the type of youtube link you'd get from a comic book guy.

BTW, I have one of those in my Escalade.

:shrug: I saw it on a car related FB page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

I can't tell if that looks completely stupid and also kind of fun in a silly way, or just completely stupid.

• Locked thread