Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

If you really think this is going to happen, you're in the wrong drat forum.

Buy it and bob it.

Visions in my head tonight as I pound beers in the dark are shortening the frame by multiple feet and getting it down to the size of like a single cab f150. Tell me this if I get this monstrosity to my house and everything went bad how hard would it be to get rid of. And what do you think this weighs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ExplodingSims posted:

Riding anything that isn't a sealed, climate controled box in traffic in Florida sounds like the most miserable experience. Enjoy those 90*, 90% humidity mornings! Enjoy literally choking on the air!

I do like to ride my bike when I can, but holy poo poo, I loose like 10lbs in sweat just pedaling around the neighborhood.

I fell off the "biking to school" wagon after finals because of precisely this. Now I live like 6mi from school instead of, like, 1, but with the heat I can't even be assed to bike to and from the nearby trail. I'll ride again starting september-ish, there's better poo poo for me to do than drown in my own sweat.

E: Also I've been spending my spare time the last few days re-seasoning my cast iron pans. Couple runs through the self-clean cycle got off all the old seasoning and most of the rust, and I've been putting wwwaffer-thin coats of peanut oil on and baking it an hour at a time. I'm starting to see lots of tiny spots of ultra-black with the lighter brown coating surrounding them, a few more runs and they should be black all over and ready to go.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 30, 2016

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Anyone have a good guide or write up to doing a clutch on a 14 WRX?

Buddies clutch is slipping badddddd, and it's his daily. We're hoping to do it in a weekend.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Pro tip: you can easily separate the bellhousing from the motor by pressing in the clutch once you've removed all the bolts holding the trans in place.

Seriously was a game changer for how easy it was to remove. But with a '14 it shouldn't be too stuck on anyway

Some prefer to remove the motor, others prefer to drop the trans, I found it easier to drop the trans. Look through my thread and you'll see some pics, although it's not really a step by step guide. Plenty of removal for both motor and trans in there.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

What the gently caress did he do to destroy a clutch in ~2 years? Because race car?

I don't baby my car or anything, but I'm coming up on 150k/10 years, and I'm still on the original.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

iwentdoodie posted:

Anyone have a good guide or write up to doing a clutch on a 14 WRX?

Buddies clutch is slipping badddddd, and it's his daily. We're hoping to do it in a weekend.

Drain gearbox oil
Remove driveshafts
Remove tailshaft
Remove bits that stop access to start motor
Remove starter
Remove slave cylinder
Remove gearbox wiring
Disconenct shifter
Remove gearbox crossmember
remove gearbox to engine bolts
Drop gearbox

Probably a few things missed but that's the general gist. Easy for a full weekend, should be able to do it in a couple of hours. My guess is that the flywheel might need to be looked at if it's slipping badly.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

some texas redneck posted:

What the gently caress did he do to destroy a clutch in ~2 years? Because race car?

I don't baby my car or anything, but I'm coming up on 150k/10 years, and I'm still on the original.

If it is like the brand new VW I was behind today on a slightly elevated street pulling out onto a very busy street and the 6+ attempts to make it up a few degree incline before just dropping it and squealing out yeah some people never get better

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

60k, 10+ track days, Canyon drives, autocross, rallycross, and dirt track spectator races plus commuting. I'm more amazed it was clutch and not hard parts, honestly.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy poo poo that movie was offensively bad. It was even worse than I had been warned.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Tommychu posted:

Hard to tell from those pics but ask the tire size. If it's a 22.5 it's one piece, if it's 20" it's a multi piece wheel.

e;bike/scooterchat: I want a Ruckus

My commute requires me to hit 50mph readily, so I can't justify it but I think they're the coolest loving things and I want one
I could engine swap or hot rod the 49 but the idea of completely overhauling a vehicle so it can make my 12 minute trip to work seems a bit dumb.

I commuted on a Ruckus for two years in Edmonton. Do It! You basically have to ride the thing WOT everywhere all the time. It's the best. You will need a lowered seat frame and foot pegs if you're taller than 6' though.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

iwentdoodie posted:

60k, 10+ track days, Canyon drives, autocross, rallycross, and dirt track spectator races plus commuting. I'm more amazed it was clutch and not hard parts, honestly.

I retract my comment. That's pretty drat good for what he put it through.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

I retract my comment. That's pretty drat good for what he put it through.

Yeah, it's kind of expected. And that's with 10 or so with full exhaust, intake and tune which while not a ton, adds some power.

New game is what breaks next :v:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Modern clutches kind of amaze me with how long they last considering what they do and the energy and forces they have to contend with.

My Miata is at ~160k (25K when I bought it) and still on it's original clutch despite not being nice to it and occasionally deliberately heating it up to keep it from shuddering real bad (NB2 Miata issue :party:) The clutch in my fiance's Scion tC started slipping at 150k after she put 50K on it doing courier work and it was her first manual car (and she has an annoying habit of liking to downshift but not matching revs) plus 100K of PO abuse.

Meanwhile my 2011 Mazda3 has 60k and the clutch engages at the very top of the pedal travel and the dealership said it's just about done for. gently caress.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Got my Saturn with 66k, I'll have 150k pretty soon. Did a lot of food delivery before moving on to essentially courier work (Amazon same-day delivery).

It chatters a bit when it's cold, but otherwise feels fine. I did get a small look at the clutch awhile back when I did the thermostat (inspection plug is missing), and the clutch looked pretty worn - enough that I expected to be replacing it within 10k. It's almost 30k later..

It's engaging fairly high up in the pedal travel too, but IIRC it's always been that way. :iiam:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Lifting the front of the engine so it is tilted back and can't wobble around on the motor mounts really helps, especially putting the trans back in.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I had a lightning strike close enough to my house that it woke up the USB devices on my desktop, without it booting up.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

IOwnCalculus posted:

I had a lightning strike close enough to my house that it woke up the USB devices on my desktop, without it booting up.

Shocking?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Moving sucks and I hate it

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

IOwnCalculus posted:

You're supposed to unplug your stuff during a storm.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

CharlesM posted:

You're supposed to unplug your stuff during a storm.

Maybe in Arizona, but ahahaha if you think I'm shutting down and unplugging all my poo poo when it rains every other afternoon here.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Have u guys ever heard of these fancy devices called surge protectors?? :eyepop:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tusen Takk posted:

Have u guys ever heard of these fancy devices called surge protectors?? :eyepop:

WITCHCRAFT

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Tusen Takk posted:

They're considered disposable here. I've also still lost a computer to a lightning strike in my backyard with a nice one. And a tv. And a wii. And 2-3 modems. Yeah, the lightning here sucks.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Jesus Christ I've never had that issue before

Sucks to be you guys lol

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I will say that except for snow michigan is very nice in the sense that natural disasters and bonkers storms aren't a major concern here

Still, hopefully an earthquake drowns us in the Great Lakes one day

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Lightning capital of the world, etc.

My last computer had 2 of 6 usb ports working after a lightning strike at the neighbor's early in its life, and that was after replacing the mobo and power supply which got fried.

Then a couple years later the OTHER neighbor got hit, and that took out one of the remaining ones along with mom's printer. Had to daisy chain my mouse and keyboard through the extra ports on my monitor, and that into the last working port on the tower.

All those were plugged into surge protector strips, too.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

If that's the case maybe you should consider not being lazy

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Chain all your electrical devices via multi-plugs so when lightning happens YOU only need to unplug one plug

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tusen Takk posted:

:laffo: if you think a surge protector can stop a direct hit. If you have really good ones, they'll stop a nearby hit from doing much, but nothing will save you if lightning tickles the power lines going to your building.

So far my biggest mass casualty from a storm was back when I ran a 3 line BBS (with a 4th modem hooked up so I could dial out during the day). Lightning took out 2 of the incoming modems, plus the serial card. :argh: US Robotics fixed the modems under warranty, surprisingly. Yes, there were surge protectors on the phone lines.

Second biggest mass casualty was, ironically, surge protectors, a microwave, ethernet port on my PC, and a DSL modem. Every surge protector in the apartment pretty much blew up. Lightning hit the car port next to the building, guessing it came in through the phone line to get to the computer.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You should be covering every inch of every cable with chokes.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Tusen Takk posted:

If that's the case maybe you should consider not being lazy

This all makes the assumption that
1) I'm home when the storm hits. At least here in Phoenix the thunderstorms go from clear skys to thunderstorm in 30 minutes or less pretty regular.
2) I have any warning - as with the above, often the first warning I have of a thunderstorm is when the windows rattle from the first lightning strike.

:laffo: if you think a surge protector can stop a direct hit. If you have really good ones, they'll stop a nearby hit from doing much, but nothing will save you if lightning tickles the power lines going to your building.

Also that.

Having said that, I've been lucky and never lost anything to a strike (knocking furiously on my wood desktop here).

I have surge protectors on pretty much everything, but I know they aren't going to stop a direct hit or near miss from loving up lots of stuff in the house.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jun 30, 2016

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Okay okay well lucky for all of you when global warming makes the rains go away you won't have this problem anymore, thanks b 2 god

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Tusen Takk posted:

Okay okay well lucky for all of you when global warming makes the rains go away you won't have this problem anymore, thanks b 2 god

I have some bad news about global warming making rain go away in that it doesn't

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

literally a fish posted:

I have some bad news about global warming making rain go away in that it doesn't

It's likely to increase rain if anything along with more energetic storms

Also, whomever snipes the July chat thread, make it a good OP please. With Falcon in garage to chat around.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

The Locator posted:

This all makes the assumption that
1) I'm home when the storm hits. At least here in Phoenix the thunderstorms go from clear skys to thunderstorm in 30 minutes or less pretty regular.
2) I have any warning - as with the above, often the first warning I have of a thunderstorm is when the windows rattle from the first lightning strike.

Also that.

Having said that, I've been lucky and never lost anything to a strike (knocking furiously on my wood desktop here).

I have surge protectors on pretty much everything, but I know they aren't going to stop a direct hit or near miss from loving up lots of stuff in the house.

Yeah, its pretty hard to totally protect against lightning strikes.

In the office i was working from last year we had everything on surge protected extensions or running via a UPS. There was a strike one night that I think hit a phone line. It took out the combined fax machine/printer (I assume via the phone line). This device also had a network lead plugged into a 24 port HP switch. It also took out this port on the switch along with 3 other ports. These 3 other ports had 3 PC's that had been left running (all on UPS's). on 2 PC's it just blew the onboard NIC's and the 3rd it blew the whole motherboard.

I am still using the switch, just avoiding the dead ports!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Rhyno posted:

Holy poo poo that movie was offensively bad. It was even worse than I had been warned.

It was so bland. It was missing Will Smith and making Bill Pullman's character completely ineffective with his attack on the mothership really destroyed that character

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

everdave posted:

http://imgur.com/a/AcOcl

I can get this 59 ford c600 DELIVERED TO MY HOUSE for scrap value tomorrow. Guy posted an ad and is taking it to the scrapers Friday if no takers (he is for real owns a big rear end farm and wants it gone). How bad of an idea would this be? Goal would be to turn it into a vintage food truck. Thoughts?

Put in a huge NO2 engine and go fishing, it's just an old farm truck!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I'm a bit behind thanks to work and you guys posting a lot...

Motorcycle chat: I bought a motorcycle within a month of moving to TN and commuted on it irregardless of the weather for several years (~15k miles a year). I loved it but in the few years I did it I noticed drivers getting worse and worse. Now I drive the car to work and only ride motorcycle off-road and on track. I miss street riding occasionally but not enough to justify owning a street bike. I have several bikes I can borrow or rent whenever I feel like heading to the mountains for a weekend.

Clutch chat: Somehow the TDI is still on it's original clutch at 276k miles. That's after teaching several people to drive stick with it, pulling trailers and everything else. Actually in all the vehicles the family or I have owned we've never had to replace a clutch.

Lightning: You guys are making me nervous, I should really get a surge suppressor or at least unplug everything on the sim rig when it storms.

everdave posted:

http://imgur.com/a/AcOcl
I can get this 59 ford c600 DELIVERED TO MY HOUSE for scrap value tomorrow. Guy posted an ad and is taking it to the scrapers Friday if no takers (he is for real owns a big rear end farm and wants it gone). How bad of an idea would this be? Goal would be to turn it into a vintage food truck. Thoughts?
Buy this truck!

Stupid hotel decided to play music at their outdoor pool, great idea during the day but fairly pointless at 3am. My room overlooks the pool and while the windows block out most of the sound I ended up having to sleep with ear plugs. Front desk didn't want to turn off the music no one was listening to for some reason.

Finally saw a few episodes of the new Top Gear UK thanks to being stuck in a hotel and having cable. New cast isn't that bad but it sure as hell isn't as good as the old guys. Have they done any 'challenges' where the guys actually have to interact outside of the office?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

GG this bike can seriously get up and go now, even into 30kph headwinds. Those wheels have a point where you feel their aero effect begin to kick and it's just wonderful to be giving it a rip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

GG this bike can seriously get up and go now, even into 30kph headwinds. Those wheels have a point where you feel their aero effect begin to kick and it's just wonderful to be giving it a rip.

I have a pair of oval concepts 978's (zipp 808 cheapies) that I'll occasionally put on my road bike and it's true, you can really feel where the break-over aero effect kicks in. For me it's about 24mph or into a stupid-rear end in a top hat headwind. Otherwise they're loving boat anchors and take forever to spin up, for me at least. I normally ride Easton EA-70sl wheels that don't weigh anything and spin up really quickly. I must say I absolutely love my specialized allez. Best bike I've ever owned. I had those 978s on the bike for a 100 mile charity ride and most of it had a offset tailwind. Those wheels were spinning at 24-32 mph the whole way and it was loving fantastic :killdozer:

Moto-chat: I've noticed too, that drivers are getting worse as time goes on and access to cheap smartphones gets better. Seeing people with coke-bottle glasses driving 65mph down the freeway while having their phone in their face is way too common here. The saving grace for me would be that as a moto, I could ride in the HOV lanes on I-10 on the West side of Houston both to and from work. My bigger worry is my wife leaving me if I pick up another bike, and I'm not even joking.

• Locked thread