Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

open24hours posted:

I think a bachelor's in a trade would have the same stigma as an apprenticeship, but I don't think tradies are the real problem here. If you want to be a plumber you don't need to go to university and people who employ plumbers wouldn't expect you to have, but if you want to be an office admin or whatever things are different.

I don't think it would necessarily, vocational learning streams in highschool have a huge amount of stigma too. There's definitely an understanding that if you're not 'smart enough' or have too many behavioural problems to complete VCE you go into VCAL or their equivalents or drop out and apply for an apprenticeship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
seriously guys it's just poo poo article to try to drum support up to make university more exclusive

every time you see Group of 8 University say thing you can just safely ignore it forever because they don't actually care about university students

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I just think it's odd that making university far less exclusive, would probably fix the issue they think exclusivity would.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
It's probably some ploy to reduce CSP's in order to replace them with more international students. Gotta get more money somehow.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
Lockheed Martin has chosen Melbourne to open a new research lab... Probably to research more fat multi-billion dollar contracts that they can lock our Government into, ffs.

Where's the mention of the JSF's in the msm, it's mentally draining when such a massive loss of money from a corrupt program goes by so silently.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/us-military-giant-lockheed-martin-to-open-13-million-research-lab-in-melbourne-20160731-gqhzgb.html

"Defence industry giant Lockheed Martin will spend $13 million on the science research centre, which the company describes as a first outside the United States.

"These days, it's just data, data, data. It is the ability in a conflict situation to analyse that data and then make the correct decision," said Raydon Gates, chief executive of Lockheed Martin in Australia.

But the research will go beyond computers, examining advances in robotics, "machine learning" and hypersonic flight.

Australia has committed to a multibillion dollar purchase of 72 F-35 stealth fighter aircraft designed by Lockheed Martin, despite concerns over delays and cost overruns in the project.

The US, Denmark, Japan and Israel are among other countries in the F-35 project, but Canada pulled out last year after a change of government.

But Mr Gates said the F-35 was now "going extremely well", and that the decision to base the new research centre in Melbourne reflected a 55-year relationship between the company and Australia, with the aim of connecting to local scientific talent."

LOL, yeah sure, the JSF program is "going extremely well".....

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Recoome posted:

seriously guys it's just poo poo article to try to drum support up to make university more exclusive

every time you see Group of 8 University say thing you can just safely ignore it forever because they don't actually care about university students

That wasn't really my goal. I think it's important to mention everytime the glut of graduates gets any media attention.

There is so much misunderstanding of the employment issues faced by graduates in their field. It can be very lonely and self-esteem crushing when the people/boomers in your life keep suggesting One More Course could fix it or continue to repeat the tired old lines about "Oh what do you mean you couldn't get a job? I thought they were crying out for *insert your field here". It's a terrible feeling and it's compounded by the knowledge of debt you may never repay (false debt or real debt, it's a tax burden you have to bear until it's gone).

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Also kill me now that there are that many education graduates. What the absolute gently caress. Fingers crossed not many did the mas-:suicide:.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Sorry mate. Milky Moor had one, I just got the Grad Dip though. We both graduated in 2012 I think, I don't know if he's given up but I certainly have.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Yeah already planning on heading over to sell my soul in the education mines of the UK. Just didn't realise it was that bad here.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Kat Delacour posted:

Sorry mate. Milky Moor had one, I just got the Grad Dip though. We both graduated in 2012 I think, I don't know if he's given up but I certainly have.

He did

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
And I'm three weeks in to semsester two of thr MTeach! Wooooooo :suicide:

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Bonus extra: I have to shell out an extra $185 for a mandatory literacy test. That hurts the ol' student budget.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
I know someone that's in his final trimester of masters of education and already has some schools interested in him, maybe that's the benefit of doing that particular degree at a regional uni? No idea

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

WAR FOOT posted:

And I'm three weeks in to semsester two of thr MTeach! Wooooooo :suicide:

you poor bastard

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

My family's regional but I moved suburban when I got into UoM. I'm decently comfortable moving to the country to work - Apollo Bay has expressed interest, and they've got a craft brewery.

I was just hoping I could stay somewhere where you don't get ostrasized for being the gay.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

WAR FOOT posted:

My family's regional but I moved suburban when I got into UoM. I'm decently comfortable moving to the country to work - Apollo Bay has expressed interest, and they've got a craft brewery.

I was just hoping I could stay somewhere where you don't get ostrasized for being the gay.

I hear Norway is nice.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Also kill me now that there are that many education graduates. What the absolute gently caress. Fingers crossed not many did the mas-:suicide:.

I gave up before I even graduated. Realised that there were way more insanely dedicated teachers than I.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

WAR FOOT posted:

My family's regional but I moved suburban when I got into UoM. I'm decently comfortable moving to the country to work

Good, because you'll need to. Or move to England. That's the only places I've seen MTeach grads get steady work. Me? I moved out to the country and don't even get callbacks. If you're a guy, be prepared for that, too.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

You do know that every teacher needs a Masters, right? Or an equivalent? From Junior to Secondary... and maybe for some ECE roles.

I want to say that it's legislation that took effect from this year.

Yeah, basically. For now, at least. Love teaching, hate the baggage that comes with it, hate the 'it's such an easy job! you get summer holidays!' bullshit you get, hate the fact that young guys get so much poo poo that you're expected to take as a joke or as part of the process of being a young male graduate (eg: don't go near any students, ensure you always have witnesses to anything you do, whatever. Melbourne Uni basically had a subject on 'what not to do'). I've applied for part-time, full-time, 'teaching assistants', 'curriculum assistants', old schools, new schools...

No, I'm not bitter, why do you ask?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Pauline Pantsdown and Anthony Albanese (from the Pauline Hanson Documentary).

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Milky Moor posted:

No, I'm not bitter, why do you ask?

Preach.

I got a job back in IT. It's not as high starting salary as graduate teacher but I have job security, potential to earn more over the long haul, and I'm underworked if I'm anything. I don't regret studying teaching, I think the concepts are still valuable as a person working with other people and maybe will make parenting easier when I get there, but I do regret my expectations that I would be a teacher and work so hard to make IT exciting and accessible and everything would be awesome and-

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Kat Delacour posted:

Preach.

I got a job back in IT. It's not as high starting salary as graduate teacher but I have job security, potential to earn more over the long haul, and I'm underworked if I'm anything. I don't regret studying teaching, I think the concepts are still valuable as a person working with other people and maybe will make parenting easier when I get there, but I do regret my expectations that I would be a teacher and work so hard to make IT exciting and accessible and everything would be awesome and-

Likewise. The sheer amount of stuff Melbourne Uni threw into their degree at least has always found a use for me somewhere.

Oh, and if you do move to the UK for teaching, be careful - I've heard that UK schools do shady things to Aus grads. Things like 'Sure, we have a few Math classes for you over here' but then it's a bait and switch and you wind up teaching art or something. I've seen a few Grads go through it.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

The SPC teacher at Unimelb flat-out told me to get groundskeeping to take the door of it's hinges, if I get a solo office, or an office where the other staff are comfortable with it. :sigh:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
https://twitter.com/GhostWhoVotes/status/760011243167952896

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

:eyepop:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Goodbye Campbell Newman goodbye.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Could the NT become a one party state?

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Comstar posted:

Doesn't the NT have a history of providing absolute landslide smashing or unworkable parliaments?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Comstar posted:

Never.

Territories arent states.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I get why everyone's leery about the census this time, but mostly I'm just wondering how badly the online system will handle the load. I dunno if the census has been online in the past, I haven't had to do this before, but I can't really trust the Australian government to have an online system that works without the load being focused on one single day.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Cleretic posted:

I get why everyone's leery about the census this time, but mostly I'm just wondering how badly the online system will handle the load. I dunno if the census has been online in the past, I haven't had to do this before, but I can't really trust the Australian government to have an online system that works without the load being focused on one single day.
You could do the census online last time if you chose to.

But unless you have a VPN and all sorts of anti tracking gear I wouldn't trust this mob not to connect your electronic data to your census ID. Also boycott this census. They could collect the unique IDs to get longitudinal data in any number of ways that didn't rely on them attaching your personal details to the data.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

What do you do about the Census if you just don't go home that night and just stay up all night out and about?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Man it sucks that I am travelling interstate that night

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Very excited for the census site to politely request that I come back and try again with Internet Explorer 6.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Amoeba102 posted:

What do you do about the Census if you just don't go home that night and just stay up all night out and about?

I was hunting pokemon all night, honest

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Cleretic posted:

They'll use the power of the cloud :yaycloud:

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Kat Delacour posted:

I got a job back in IT.... I have job security
it might seem like that now, but shitloads of IT work in Australia is either being outsourced, or automated, or both. Maybe it's a case of the grass being greener, but it seems to me that teaching is a better long term bet than IT.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Mr Chips posted:

it might seem like that now, but shitloads of IT work in Australia is either being outsourced, or automated, or both. Maybe it's a case of the grass being greener, but it seems to me that teaching is a better long term bet than IT.

First, you have to have a job to get before you can have any security, and once you have that job you have to be permanent which can take years - if ever - in teaching.

Second, I had someone today who told me their password was wrong. I said come up and change it. They said I have the right password it's just not working. I said that means it's the wrong password. They arrived with their username and password on a postit, we changed it to match, and they still couldn't sign in. I told them exactly what to type and they still said "it's broken". I typed it in for them and, magically, it worked. I'll be fine.

G-Spot Run fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Aug 1, 2016

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Kat Delacour posted:

I'll be fine.

...she said, the black pool of hatred within ever-growing, steadily gnawing away at her soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
They're just like children really, lovely innocents learning to live. I am always very clear and instructional and polite. Then when they leave I close the door and tell my colleagues "what a numpty"

• Locked thread