Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Anidav posted:

The ALA is still here though!

A NEW political party standing in the Brisbane-based federal seats of Griffith and Forde is proposing a ban on migrants from Islamic countries entering Australia for 10 years.

Ignoring the hiliarity of an anti-Islam party being called ALA, their proposed laws would be unconsititutional, wouldn't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Gorfob posted:

The only ethical solution is to use humans as fuel.
that, or compost shitposts into biomass for energy generation

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Recoome posted:

of value came outta this continant before British occupation amirite?
Stop the boats?

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Anidav posted:

The amount of LNP voters whose main vote deciding conern is Medicare but will still vote for Liberal :allears: :suicide:

Or those OAPs who know the Libs will look after them, despite the last 20 years of pension increases showing otherwise.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
I don't hate poofters and lesbos, I just hate the idea of them being treated the same as me.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
A bellwether is a castrated male sheep.

:eng101:

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

gay picnic defence posted:

Why is that a problem?

Because there are people in Northern Ireland that strongly identify as British, to the point of killing people who think otherwise.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

bowmore posted:

and we totally need it too

Well we haven't been attacked since WWII so it must've been worth it!

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Having compulsory can stop stupid poo poo happening. The UK had 46.5 million elegibile voters, and 17.4 million voted to leave. That's less than 38% of the electorate.

A referendum here would never get up on such weak support.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
I happened to be in a place where commercial FTA TV was on last night, holy poo poo the LNP team are carpet bombing it with ads every single break.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Are there any good explanations for how Senate below the line preferences are calculated/exchausted now?

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

open24hours posted:

Could use a reel, like a receipt printer.

This is probably the best argument against it. I wonder how other countries justified the expense.

In the US, it seems to be because politicians/electoral officials have unhealthy financial interests in companies selling high tech voting equipment

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Van Badham is saying that Hansard says Feeney voted for ME...but the division on the second reading to the 2013 Bill suggests otherwise: http://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo...plication%2Fpdf

Feeney, D, appears in the Noes

If anyone's got a twitter account they might like to point that out to her. After all, a good journalist would respect factual corrections like that.

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jul 1, 2016

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
lol nice goalpost shifting. Feeney also voted no in the division to have a second reading of the Marriage Equality Amendment Bill 2009: http://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo...esCount=Default

It took me roughly 30 minutes to detail two times he's voted against ME in the Senate, and I'm not even a professional journalist

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

2009 is a long time ago in this debate, and a lot of MPs have changed their mind since then.

OTOH, "never" is a pretty absolute claim that only requires a single counter example to invalidate it. For a person whose profession is to report facts it's not ideal to take so little care or let being a partisan shill cloud your judgement.

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jul 1, 2016

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

You Am I posted:

I don't know where they are getting the data from since counting is on hold till tomorrow

Antony Green is a witch.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Gridlocked posted:

This is where we get to see if the heuristic of "Postal votes generally favor the gov't" holds up. A reasonable number of seats will swing back to LNP if they do.
Also need to bear in mind the relationship between aggregate opinion poll data and pre-election/postals, as the LNP only began to close the gap in opinion polls halfway through the campaign.

May as well just wait a few days to see how it all works out.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

they're currently predicting Eden-Monaro will go to the ALP, which will be wonderful if true, because the loving media can shut up about it being a bellwether seat.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Cartoon posted:

Katter will almost certainly back them into government and is anti same sex marriage. So +1 = 76

Sorry SA, the new fleet of 65 ballistic missile submarines will now be built in Qld.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
So the Liberal candidate will probably retain the seat Grey, which he's had for a long time now. Why in the gently caress were people in Whyalla voting for the Liberal candidate? If it was Pt Pirie you could attribute such patterns to lead poisoning, but Whyalla?

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Stoca Zola posted:

We weren't:
http://vtr.aec.gov.au/HousePollingPlaceFirstPrefs-20499-6983.htm
For example.
Whyalla is only 20% of Grey and according to poll bludger always votes strongly Labor but we're stuck with what the rest of Grey votes for, unfortunately. I don't know anyone who votes Liberal here.

Indeed, it does seem that after 2pp Whyalla and Pt Augusta don't care too much for the tories: http://vtr.aec.gov.au/HouseDivisionPage-20499-183.htm#tcpbpp

Kind of sucks that they're countered by all the rich seachangers in Pt Lincoln and farmers.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Kat Delacour posted:

I dunno. Horses are pretty big and they need big distances to genuinely race. Where exactly are they going to hold it?

Other countries, bet online, bypass local regulators entirely.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
And now we've gotten rid of the lovely voting system the old "unrepresentative swill" line isn't valid

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Jumpingmanjim posted:

For maximum hilarity, there should be no pairing arrangements in the parliament.

Some tory gets sick, no confidence motion passes, government implodes!

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

drunkill posted:

All these numbers are for 50 years into the future, so it isn't so crazy if you think hhat HSR replaces ~60%+ of domestic flights within Australia with a connected Melbourne to Brisbane route and an expansion to Adelaide in the works.
Don't forget, Sydney and Melbourne will keep growing at 4-5% PA for the next 50 years too.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

starkebn posted:

"Bombing More Civilians: The Solution To Extremism" by Tony Abbott

I know what will fix the middle east - more violence!

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

DancingShade posted:

Well I'm just looking forward to doing my part and filling out my personally identifiable census

I'm going camping that night so won't be filling it in.

Kat Delacour posted:

gently caress youth unemployment, the boomers who already control most of the wealth and homes need jobs because being on the pension is icky.

edit: the grogonomics is a better article.
counting down until the unit doing the HILDA research is defunded, like the BEACH healthcare one was

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Redcordial posted:

Sit down and shut up, Four Corners is about to air. I'm definitely going to need a beer or two to stomach this one, loving predatory humans getting their kicks from torturing others.

preditction: people react less to this episode than the live animal exports one

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

freebooter posted:

Remind me what's bad about the census this year?

Identifying people is a problem if you want them to give as honest as possible responses to surveys. That's why medical population health research (to pick one example) goes to such lengths to anonymise participant identities and blind investigators.

Plus it's not really statistical data, so the ABS shouldn't need to collect it.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I don't see how it would be useless for statisticians. It would let you track specific trends down to the individual. It would be incredibly useful.

If the government wanted to compile a dossier on you, they would, very quickly with or without this information. My feeling is that the pros of far better social research outweigh the cons.
If you're tracking an individual, then it's not a trend, and it's not better social research. The ABS are not allowed to share specific statistical records with other government agencies, their remit with the census is to come up with an accurate as possible snapshot to mark a point in time, and use that to recalibrate all their recurring inferential stats. Names are tangential to this, and it's a well known phenomenon that people will answer differently when they know a survey is not anonymous, thus degrading the reliability of the census.

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 26, 2016

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Freudian Slip posted:

If you are tracking people over time, you can pick up trends that you can't find using aggregate data.
I know where you're coming from (last year I designed/built a system to protect/audit/log access a large amount of patient/clinician transactional data for pop health researchers, so am aware of how it can be used), but it seems like restrictions on the ABS sharing data will likely mean that either the ABS will need to add a lot of analytical capabilities they currently lack, or the data will be less useful than it otherwise would be if DOHA etc had it.

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 26, 2016

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Cartoon posted:

Sold for in 1994 - notionally 292.4 million but

http://www.tai.org.au/documents/dp_fulltext/DP4.pdf

So there you have it Rod it was by any measure a loving disaster and a shiney example of why you should never privatise public assets. I'm getting really loving sick of the new "Trump" statements from these empty suits. A loving bare faced lie is still a bare faced lie. gently caress off muppet! And where was the actual journalism from the ABC? Too busy patting themselves on the back for the NT story I guess.

Option C: the Commonwealth maintained a decent shareholding (HSBC Nominees has about 20% IIRC, so something in that region) then they could've at least made some decent revenue from dividends. Probably a better bet than the farce with Telstra and the future fund, and continually loving up telecomms policy so that Telstra can collect rents until the end of time.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

You Am I posted:

can back down from things that he believes in, like the carbon pricing and treatment of refugees
Assuming he believed in those things to start with

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Recoome posted:

The universities which comprise the Group of 8 generally espouse pretty poo poo public opinions
would you be surprised to hear that some G8 unis let the Liberal party use University property for fundraising events at no charge?

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Kat Delacour posted:

I got a job back in IT.... I have job security
it might seem like that now, but shitloads of IT work in Australia is either being outsourced, or automated, or both. Maybe it's a case of the grass being greener, but it seems to me that teaching is a better long term bet than IT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Laserface posted:

Some forms of "IT" are being outsourced but ultimately its gonna be a long rear end time until anything in Australia is at a point where its all work from remote cloud based poo poo supported by India or whatever because we have no decent quality internet.

the last 3 places I have worked have all wanted someone who spends time walking around the office and interacting with people to build rapport and work with them rather than against them. You cant outsource that.

the only thing IT jobs in Australia have going for them is that Australian management is so dreadfully conservative that they will be slow to reorganise around tech that can lower onshore headcount. I worry about people getting into entry level customer/client facing support roles today, the progression that was available 20+ years ago when I started just isn't there any more, and the pay for those roles is terrible now too.

• Locked thread