Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Can somebody please find the audio to that so we can put it over Joe Hockey Dryer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
"This slants the Coalition’s offerings away from policies that would appeal to their thoughtful traditional supporters, and towards superficial policies that appeal to the apathetic and ill-informed."

:allears:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo WA... finally starting to realise the libs aren't good for us.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

MonoAus posted:

Give it another week, we'll soon forget.

Forget what?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

MonoAus posted:

The libs aren't good for us.

Oh right.....

wait, forget what?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Arm all penguins with pistols.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Birdstrike posted:

Pretty sure they shoot well enough already

:smug:

NOICE

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
The big issue with Australia's infrastructure is that we had a national telephone and (just starting) broadband provider, who all things considered did a pretty good job given their mandage was "Make sure all Australians have access to a phone, even if they live in Outer Bumfucksville, Nowhere". The government then decided that selling off this profitable provider was a good idea and also handing them all the infrastructure (rather than just privatising the resale wing and keeping the infrastructure nationalised) while simultaneously handing them the requirement to provide service to literally every person in our enormous hugely spread out country.

Trapped between the requirement to service everyone and the requirement to produce profit Telstra became a huge pile of poo poo because they did no maintenance and didn't bother to upgrade anything and even installed super subpar tech which throttled the hell out of internet speeds (which they also made deals with new developments so Telstra was the only provider they could use!).

The government then decided to build a national broadband network to replace all the hosed copper wire in asbesdos filled pits that our current broadband chugs over except the government changed half way through and decided that instead of new infrastructure we should keep using all the old hosed infrastructure and bought it all back off telstra for fuckloads of money basically spending a massive amount of money for negligable benefit to any consumer. So now our original broken infrastructure that we privatised in order to hand out tax cuts during a mining boom has been bought back 20 years later and 20 years more degraded instead of the planned fibre to the premises rollout.

That's kind of the summary of why our internet is so poo poo.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

KennyTheFish posted:

And a reminder about what the specific change suggested was. Currently the press has a statutory exemption from the prohibition on deceptive and misleading conduct in the trade practices act. the government proposed to remove that. The press fought the government for the ability to deliberately lie to people.

I thought it was because they were going to be forced to adhere to the code of conduct they themselves wrote. As opposed to having signed up for it and then doing literally nothing to adhere to it.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
"Why can't you guys take a racist joke?"

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
"The Institute of Public Affairs has accused the Coalition of relying on the same language as Bernie Sanders and Jeremy Corbyn to defend its superannuation changes.

The free market thinktank also says the public is seeing the fruits of the campaign it began waging against the government’s super changes three weeks ago, as more Coalition MPs start to understand how unfair the proposed changes are."

I can only boggle.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Snod. posted:

Can we swap LibertyCat for Negligent?

Can we swap both for the sweet release of death?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

CrazyTolradi posted:

Using shitposts for power generation runs the risk of meltdown due to Negligent.

Leading to the poo poo-Post Apocalypse.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
This sure is loving depressing.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jun/07/the-great-barrier-reef-a-catastrophe-laid-bare

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
The Empty Suit vs. The Empty Chair.

The debate nobody wanted, that nobody went to.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I think that "HA-HA"-ing at people who bought houses on the beach for extremely high prices with no awareness about the dangers of included is a bit gross in this thread. The responsibility lies with the council for allowing that land to be developed in the first place and not instituting a buyback and or restoration scheme and the developers who built on the land without sufficient protection. Yeah the guy is a rich idiot, but the only things I know about beach management, coastal erosion and king tides are things I've learned from people in this thread.

That said though if they did include a "your house will probably fall into the sea" document with the package when he bought it, then I have less sympathy.

Basically a rich victim of terrible land management is still a victim.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

ewe2 posted:

And I learnt those things in high school, so unless this rich idiot and his friends are all poorly educated, I fail to see how they could not have done a smidgeon of diligence when buying a house on a loving beach. You know, beaches, where those waves come from.

Councils never do anything like your suggestion until its too late and then it becomes a NIMBY shitfight (see: Byron Bay councils for the last 30 years), although I agree some sort of Australia-wide code should be developed but hahaha that will never happen. Once the money pours in, government from council up just rolls over. Developers say, we just sold the land, its not our responsibility, councils say people want to build there, and wouldn't accept a zoning plan preserving the first dune, its not our responsibility, and now the owner of a condemned wreck cries foul. Sometimes its just a tragedy of the commons, and without federal support, no council can hold off developers and greedy state politicians for long.

But: buying a house is not a small thing, you know. You have to take some responsibility for your decisions, and if not for choosing a house, then what the gently caress else can someone with more money than sense get away with? Too late to blame the council now, too late to blame everyone else, and the problem gets handed on to the next generation, and I'm betting they'll do gently caress all as well.

I didn't learn anything about this in high school, so maybe I'm poorly educated as well but I don't think much coastal/land management is understood or even had as a known unknown by the general populace.

I don't disagree with anything you said, but I do think it should be councils/state governments making these kind of decisions and not bowing to unscrupulous property developers.

I know idiots will scream "nanny state" but we do need to protect people from these kind of things. I don't own a house, if I did buy one I would probably do research into things that could affect it, however I wonder how different the views of the thread would be about this if it was low income housing that had sunk into a swamp rather than the homes of the rich falling into the sea.

Councils and the states failing to protect people through political cowardice and being compromised by capital still doesn't really make victim blaming ok.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

asio posted:

Lol they can afford a 2$mill house. They aren't victims.

Lemme give you some perception. Median income in my area is $577/week. That's not much more than the pension. People who can afford to buy a second home losing their first does not a victim make. You can't go full liberal "equality for the rich as well as the poor" on this one, give up and get back to polishing the guillotine.

I strongly disagree that a person's net worth determines whether systematic failures have screwed them or not. Honestly this cuts perilously close to "rich refugee" arguments.

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Clearly there's a difference between low-income housing (people live there because they can't afford to live elsewhere) and beachside minimansions (people live there because they can afford to live anywhere and choose to live there) though.

So it's ok for some developments to be built unsafe and others not to be based on the socio economic bracket of the occupant?

I've never stopped sharpening my guillotine, and from the statements the guy made in the article he seems like a rich shithead. However none of that makes it ok that this problem wasn't addressed by the very processes that are meant to protect people from poo poo like this happening. Pointing at him and laughing misses the systematic failures that let this happen and he has a point that if you're buying a property anywhere, the government has a responsibility to ensure that it is safe, and when they aren't, to correct or repossess and destroy them.

I don't see how "was built on land that cannot support it" is any different to "was built full of asbestos", both should be repossessed by the government due to them being unsafe and the owners compensated. Further developments without sufficient guidelines (don't build on first dunes, don't fill houses with asbestos) should be banned. A lot of the thread seemed to be missing that point when laughing at rich mans pool fall in sea.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

asio posted:

If not the wealthy land-owning liberal-voting class, then who is responsible for the state of affairs re development guidelines? Seriously, I'm drawing a blank because I thought it was the relationship between capital, real estate and politics that was to blame, not because the greenies haven't yet legislated the protections.

I think we might be arguing at cross purposes.

I've been arguing it's the responsibility of councils and governments to legislate in order to prevent poo poo like this happening and to be more proactive.

I think you are arguing that the reason they can't/haven't is because of the relationship between capital, politics and development which the rich themselves are responsible for.

I don't disagree with you, but that also doesn't make it ok when the rich are screwing over their own, as opposed to their usual game of screwing over the poor. I don't agree with the rich being able to screw over anyone and we should be putting more systems in place (especially taking that opportunity when other rich people are angry about it) to prevent it.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Frogmanv2 posted:

I dunno, it seems pretty pointless to pay for insurance against flooding when you live in Alice Springs.

I think that insurance companies shouldnt try to weasel out of payments like in the Brisbane floods example, but picking and choosing what you are insured for isnt bad.

But why would it cost anything to insure against flooding in alice springs?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

the correct deterrence for white collar crime is a bullet

That's not very environmentally friendly, we want sustainable multiple use killing machines.

It rhymes with Kill-o-tine.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
This was assumed yesterday but here's the confirmation.

"Police confirmed Sourian did not stab anyone and the three bystanders, who include an 82-year-old woman and 65-year-old woman, are in a stable condition in hospital."

Man with knife runs at cops, cops open fire and shoot knife man and 3 bystanders.

EDIT: Apparently it wasn't even a knife, it was a pair of scissors.

hooman fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jun 10, 2016

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Magog posted:

Good to know police are fuckups here too. If that edit is true though, god drat.

A couple of the witnesses spoke about scissors and there's a photo of the scissors on the ground at the scene so it seems that way at the moment, but not officially confirmed yet.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

SynthOrange posted:

Thanks. Feeling much better today. I was a bit 'Ugh I shouldnt have smashed that phone' but today is 'Hey at least I smashed up that phone' :v:

Anyway, rip jobs and growth

Urgghh gently caress. Good job for putting all your eggs in the mining boom basket Australia.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I honestly didn't think my posting was that controversial. It's not like I was talking about refugees or racists, which is what usually motivates someone to change my avatar.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Shorten pledging to support all the policies of the LNP that are the reasons people vote Labor.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

I still don't know why they give him work...

maybe it's because he'll draw literally anything.

I can't imagine why The Australian of all papers would hire a racist...

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Basically the libs have sufficiently shagged the whole NBN that if Labor tries to go back to it's original policy it will never make it's own costings due to the huge amount of overhead to change it again. In which case the libs get to jump up and down and scream HUGE LABOR WASTE. It's poo poo, but the Libs won this one, the NBN didn't get far enough along for the liberals to have to spend much political capital in gutting it and throwing money at their mates.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

He's not technically wrong, the danger that gay marriage poses to children has stayed exactly the same at 0.

That said though, you have to loving wonder how such reprehensible bile spewing assholes are ever preselected.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Can someone warm up the "gently caress JOE HILDEBRAND" gif please?

He's been named as moderator for the Facebook debate on Friday, 6PM I assume EST.

It's the HOOMAN SIGNAL!

*spits on hands and rubs them together*

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
This is much better than talking to an idiot.

http://iview.abc.net.au/programs/sammy-js-playground-politics/LE1525V001S00#playing

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Ahahaha, a gun fetishist who hasn't heard of DC vs Heller, you really are an ignorant fuckwit.

Wait.. Libertycat a hopelessly naive, uneducated idiot making decisions based on knee jerk reaction rather than reasoned best outcome?

SAY IT AIN'T FUCKIN SO!

Alternatively a really lovely troll.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

SynthOrange posted:

Bob Katter: I hadn't heard about Orlando shooting because I don't watch the news

lol

No gay people in his electorate to report it to anyway.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Greens reversed their decision to preference Fred Nile candidate above Lib candidate.

I'm glad this happened, honestly preferences should be directed to the least reprehensible and I don't like seeing the Greens doing otherwise even to "make a statement".

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

You Am I posted:

Oh cool he's going the 9-9-9 route

I like how it's "simpler" taxation, not "better" taxation.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Triangle man, triangle man, triangle man hates person man, they have a fight, triangle wins, triangle man.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
"Mr Turnball based on your statement today that 'Homophobia is to be condemned everywhere,' why is the liberal party directing preferences towards homophobic groups like the Fred Nile party?"

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
It really says something when Joe Hildebrand is the worst thing about a facebook debate, with questions from News.com.au between Malcolm Turnbull and Bill Shorten.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

LibertyCat posted:

I don't consider myself a Nazi but I am very strongly Nationalist. I am greatly in favor of civil liberties for citizens - Demolishing mosques etc is the opposite of that.

I do think the middle eastern culture is dreadful (esp for women, LBTQI and nonbelievers) and there is no reason to encourage its spread by letting people from those regions enter in large groups.

I think remote communities that have no possible hope of being economically sustainable should stop being subsidized, negative gearing distorts the economy, we are letting too many people into the country in general, and the resulting population growth is straining our existing services and is bad for our quality of life.

If NZ want to take refugees, let them.

Other countries are way more racist/xenophobic than us but this thread makes out like we're the worst of the worst.

You are blaming foreigners for the results of actions taken by rich Australians, gutting our social services, infrastructure and flat wages are directly because of large business and wealthy individuals grabbing more for themselves at the expense of others.

Doesn't it worry you that the hardline right wing nationalists that you decry in other countries are exactly the same hard right wing nationalists you support here? You're no different to them, just transposed from one culture to another. You put feelpinions above outcomes and then blames easy targets when poo poo doesn't work out like you think it should. If you were born in a culture that stoned women you'd be on the front lines supporting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Recoome posted:

I'd like to meet the demographic this ad is supposed to be reaching out to lmao

~swing voters~

• Locked thread