Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Grouchio posted:

You mates seriously need state media reforms around so the press can actually have differing opinions for once. Talk about poo poo luck with that Tony short stick.
Are there no internet demonstrations and underground stuff trying to call the media out on this poo poo or what? Who watches the watchmen after all.

We have the ABC, which is one of the most trusted sources of news in the country, and its state based. Which is why the LNP try to gut it at every chance. They have a thing where they have to be neutral though, so every centrist ALP members has to be balanced by a cockhead tory. The LNP has this big witchhunt every so often and they accuse the ABC of leftwing bias, which inevitably fizzles out when the reports come back, again, about how neutral they are.

There is a senator for the greens who raises internet based questions a whole bunch, and has been doing cryptoparties round the nation, showing people how easy it is to dodge the data retention laws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Grouchio posted:

Aren't the internet speeds there notoriously strangled by national law?

Sort of. The internet speeds are strangled because the biggest telco, Telstra, had a monopoly on the communication infrastructure for a very long time, and had no reason to upgrade its copper pipes. Then the previous ALP government came along and said "This poo poo is hosed, we are going to build a fibre to the home network which will last for the foreseeable future". The LNP came along and said "No, thats going to be too expensive, we can build fibre to the node, and then use copper for the last run, and that will save money and time". The LNP won the election, took over the network and proceeded to gently caress it good and proper. Telstra, on the assumption that it was going to lose its copper network, did exactly zero maintenance beyond using duct tape and hope to keep it running for a few extra years and now thats what the LNP bought off them and are hoping to use to deliver poo poo internet speeds with.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Byolante posted:

anti-science lunatics who hate organised sport and vaccinations but coast by on inner city melbourne being filled to the brim with middle class pearl clutchers

fun fact, this group is actually the most likely to listen to scientists, and is the least ideologue party around.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

To be fair, the Libs plan to tax ttr schemes will hit people who use it and that is by no means only high income earners.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Noice

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

LibertyCat posted:

I think it's complete bullshit, yes. Belief systems are man-made and there is no reason they should be considered equal.

I don't see why having the "oldest continuing culture in the world" is something to boast about when practically it resulted in a terrible quality of life for its practitioners.

Pretty sure that the indigenous owners of Australia were doing just fine before your ancestors came along and stole their land.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Cleretic posted:

Someone remind me, do we post Grundle as a good columnist, or a poo poo one to bitch about?

I mean I know which one I think he is, but I need to make sure we're all on the same page.

He is usually ok, but as was said before, anything related to gender, just put it in the bin.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Coles tells fair work to gently caress off.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-09/coles-refuses-to-boost-penalty-rates-despite-fair-work-ruling/7496114

quote:

Supermarket giant Coles has defied the Fair Work Commission and refused to boost penalty rates for workers who have been left worse off under a controversial wage agreement struck with the shop assistant's union.

The decision means that employees who work mostly at nights and on weekends will continue to be paid less than they would be under the conditions of the award, which is the basic safety net for retail workers.

The agreement raised base hourly rates of pay, but cut penalty rates, dividing the Coles workforce between those who work predominantly during the day on week days, and those who rely on penalty rates.

The Fair Work Commission last week found that some of the 77,000 Coles workers covered by the agreement would be left out of pocket, and asked Coles to lift penalty rates.

By law, any agreement must pass the better off overall test (BOOT), which stipulates no worker can be left worse off than under the award.

The agreement between Coles and the Shop Distributive and Allied Employees Association (SDAE) was originally waved through by the commission last year.

But the process ground to a halt after a part-time Coles employee from Queensland, Duncan Hart, claimed it would leave substantial numbers of workers worse off.

Coles and the union argued that the wage shortfall for those who relied on penalty rates would be made up for by an array of benefits contained within the agreement, including blood donor leave, natural disaster leave, domestic violence leave and War Force leave.

However, the commission rejected this argument.

Pay deals to revert to previous agreement

In a press release today, Coles said the 77,000 workers would now revert to the previous agreement, dating back to 2011, but that it would continue to pay the higher hourly rates contained within the disputed agreement, to ensure no Coles worker's pay would be suddenly cut.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

open24hours posted:

It shouldn't really be legal to buy and sell property, or at least residential property, that can't be insured. Either the government should become an insurer of last resort, or they should be zoned so people can't live there. It's in no one's interest to have people losing their houses.

Its in the interest of the repairer/rebuilder.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

open24hours posted:

Yeah this is another thing. When you take out insurance on your house you should be insured against everything. None of this 'well you weren't insured against meteor strike so too bad'.

I dunno, it seems pretty pointless to pay for insurance against flooding when you live in Alice Springs.

I think that insurance companies shouldnt try to weasel out of payments like in the Brisbane floods example, but picking and choosing what you are insured for isnt bad.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

If you are insuring against everything, i would have very little faith in insurance companies removing services that arent needed.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

You Am I posted:

Oh cool Labor is supporting the Coalition with cuts to family payments :smith:

They are making the hard decisions. Like they always do, to take away from those most in need.

They wont make the hard decisions like close corporate tax loopholes. gently caress the ALP with a bus.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Solemn Sloth posted:

lol, Labor are preferencing Abbott ahead of that dude who isn't Abbott

of loving course they are.

got a link?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

tithin posted:

Abbott's a walking talking attack line, this is them giving themselves future ammo

And its still stupid, because its not like the LNP doesnt have a plethora of other walking talking attack lines. Anyone with half a brain could come up with decent talking points to crush the LNP in the polls.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

LibertyCat posted:

Please, if I bought you an angry av, I'd try to actually put a little effort into it. Give me more credit than that.

Also ponies are so 2012.

Why on earth would anyone give you credit for anything?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

LibertyCat posted:

"LibertyCat is such a fuckwit

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

LibertyCat posted:

I'm not a religious extremist and I have no desire to commit violence, don't have a problem with women and gay people, and I doubt I'd pass that religious hocus-pocus down to my kids, hope this allays your concerns Forums Poster solemn sloth.

^^ the victims do matter. Many surveys have shown the majority of Muslims aren't exactly accepting of the LGBTI community. If Islam grows in Australia and they carry that trait with them, it's bad times ahead if you're gay.

Why the Left pretends Muslim immigration has no downsides is a mystery. I think Australian Liberty Alliance is now my #2 vote.

Yes, because the church is a shining beacon of all that is tenderness and compassion towards LGBTQI folk. You dense fuckstick.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Has the ALP released its list of preferences yet?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Anidav posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W95RHO6_Gw4

Can I have an avatar of Katter blowing his gun and smiling pls.

I like the way his little pinky is up like he is holding a delicate cup of tea.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Chortle

John Howard is running for the senate in WA.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Ten Becquerels posted:

I forgot I was in Julie Bishop's electorate (Curtin, WA) until this election season started and people put signs with her face on it all over the place.

ARCHIBALD, David - Australian Liberty Alliance (I had to look these guys up, their policies include 'stopping the islamisation of Australia', as well 'advancing the natural family')
GLANCE, Viv - Greens
CALLANAN, Melissa - Labor
BOULTER, Sandra - independent
BISHOP, Julie - LNP

Julie gets to go last, though it'll make gently caress all difference because Curtin is pretty safely Liberal, don't think there's been a non-Liberal MP here except for Allan Rocher, who was a Liberal then decided to go independent. Lots of old rich people in the area - Curtin encompasses a lot of the rich coastal suburbs plus Peppermint Grove, Mosman Park and the like.

yeah, im in here as well, by literally 1 road, in two directions. Im about 50m from the upper left hand corner of the electorate.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Ten Becquerels posted:

I'm pretty close to the border as well, a little way down the street from Scarborough Beach Road. That corner store that had the owner protesting on the roof is right near my house. I had no idea he was there until after he got down.

That dude was a champ.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Anidav posted:

Hey guys, I got a submission form to submit a question for tonight's Facebook debate with no guarantee it will be asked but I have a form here to ask it.

Can someone ghost write a really good question for me to put in?

Mr Turnbull, Are you very proud you have shoveled billions of dollars to telstra and ruined Australian internet by delivering a substandard, slow, expensive mess of an NBN, or are your extraordinarily proud?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Freudian Slip posted:

Is SHY in 1st or 2nd position in SA?

Looks like 1, with Simms in 2

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Recoome posted:

Apparently there was a UPF Rally in Perth today.

I did not know this was on.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Snod. posted:

Does anyone actually listen to AM radio? Asking for a friend

I do.

I was at a party, just chatting to some random and it turns out she worked for the ABC newsradio, and I was the first person she had met who admitted to listening to it.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

thatbastardken posted:

turnball is crook as a dog, going to lose the election because he got the flu

shoulda supported public healthcare before going amongst the proles mal

Hopefully he takes doewn the entire press gallery and a bunch of pollies so they all lose their voice and cant say poo poo.

also, lol if you think Turnbull uses the public health system. He would have a dr flown out to where ever he is to follow him round.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

wombat74 posted:

Already has, asx is down 3% as investors switch to "safehavens". Nikkei is down 7.

Nikkei hit limit down and just said "fuckit. we arent trading anymore"

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Does anybody have a website where you can do draft ballots? Or get a brief summary of what each party/independent tends to stand for? I know like 7 years ago there was a really solid one but I can't see if they're doing it again for this one. I have to get my postal ballot in today

AEC.gov.au is your best bet right now. belowtheline.org isnt going to be up.

What electorate?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Warringah, Tony Abbott's backyard

(Also I'm still going to reply to your PM, just had a really busy few weeks)

http://www.aec.gov.au/election/NSW/Warringah.htm

Good luck finding out what the candidates stand for. To my knowledge there is no central repository where that information is stored.

And no worries duder, hope all is well.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

starkebn posted:

Yeah, even if you think you'll do a much better job than any Labor candidate you should only go after those nasty Liberals because apparently they're the only ones who've been attacking you?

Paul Keating was cool when he was laying down sick burns in question time, what happened Paul?

Paul Keating started mandatory detention for asylum seekers.

gently caress Paul Keating.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

https://newmatilda.com/2016/06/28/helen-razer-is-wrong-why-leftists-should-vote-for-the-greens/

Some light reading explaining why Helen Razor is wrong. Again.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

bee posted:

I'm volunteering for the Greens at the polling booth on Saturday. Has anyone got any tips for me, as I've never done this before? It's not actually my own electorate, they're just short on members out that way. It's a pretty low income area with a lot of crime, or at least it was the last time I used to work out that way.

Most people will try to avoid you. Have a short line you can say in a couple of seconds ready so you can say it as you hand someone a card. I used "Vote greens in the senate" a hell of a lot.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-30/fears-about-indigenous-rangers-program-funding-beyond-2018/7551736

A program that provided jobs to indigenous australians, and protected the environment? Im just amazed its lasted this long.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Does he have strong opinions on how the hugos should be awarded?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

thatfatkid posted:

The chaser van skit was painfully unfunny. They deliberately misinterpreted what Leyjonhelm said and then harassed him with a lovely strawman.

How did they misinterpret what he said?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Frogfingers posted:

Yes it does. Whatever your "critique" is comes from a place of you not knowing what the gently caress you're talking about.

Welcome to conversing with amethyst. Remember, his name has meth in it for a reason.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Frogfingers posted:

I thought it was safe to come out of hiding when I saw that mills and ratbag were gone. Evidently not.

Oh there is a never ending stream of shitbags in here.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

thatbastardken posted:

Sunburned, but not as badly as last time. I had to restrain my mother from beating him to death.

Why? Why would you do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Anidav posted:

Why do The Greens have a Jewish hater squad?

They dont hate jews, they hate the israeli government. A slight distinction, but an important one.

• Locked thread