Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

DancingShade posted:

Of course. Bow to your betters peasants!

*takes photo of dilz in glass of $5000 wine*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

hooman posted:

Arm all penguins with pistols.

Pretty sure they shoot well enough already

:smug:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Cartoon posted:

Five years on and one hundred thousand people are still displaced. The cores continue to irradiate the ground and sea water with no viable 'shut down' strategy in place. Safe as houses.

Enough about the grid m8

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Jumpingmanjim posted:

While you morons are arguing about nuclear power for the millionth time, north sydney beach front property is falling into the ocean for the second night in a row.

allahu akbar

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Dude McAwesome posted:

nuclear does have the sickest k/d

sweet ay

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It's a terrible idea for Malcolm because no one cares about Sky News, but other media outlets are probably going to run stories on how much of a loser he is for not showing up.

Sad!

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
The show was about as informative as this thread and more enjoyable so quit your bellyaching.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
just build palm shacks like the one soag lives in, if it gets washed away build a new one tomorrow afternoon

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

well I mean technically yeah

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

starkebn posted:

Not that I'll be changing my vote to Labor but I thought that Bill was pretty straight forward with his answers on Q&A last night. I fell asleep at the end so I don't know if asylum seekers were asked about though (probably not, western Sydney lol)

The 'small business owner' complaining she wouldn't get a tax cut because she had more than 2 million in revenue(?) was a pretty good one.

The question was couched in terms of "would you open up camps to media?" as opposed to "would you close the torture camps?"

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Seagull posted:

labor are racist bigots, hope that helps

that's why they're popular

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

tithin posted:

Reminder - Don't read auspol

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

EXAKT Science posted:

You can't tell me what to do

:dance:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

CrazyTolradi posted:

Why vote for the Sex Party instead of Greens?

He likes the idea of preference whispering

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

iajanus posted:

Hmmm.... what are these envelopes that were in my mailbox?

It's postal votes!

What to do, what to do...?

I guess I'll put that 1 in there, Ken.

Two fresh postal votes, from us to you! You're off the mark!

No loving democracy sausages in the envelopes, sadly.

you're supposed to number every box

I'm not surprised that you're as bad at election voting as you are at mafia voting

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Wayne Swan is a surplus-fetishising dope

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
REID (NSW) ballot order

1 CARTER, Marylou
Family First
Legal Practice Manager

2 LAUNDY, Craig
Liberal
Member of Parliament

3 TSIREKAS, Angelo
Labor
Health & Building Surveyor

4 KANG, Ju
Christian Democratic Party (Fred Nile Group)
Business Development Manager

5 MANTEL, Alice
The Greens
Lawyer

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
pretty annoyed about labor preferencing CDP 2 Greens 3 in Reid

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Laserface posted:

yo, I am in Reid we should hang out

yeah probs

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

EXAKT Science posted:

Wait, corporations aren't people in 'Straya?

Corporate tax is flat 30%, individual tax is between 0 and 45% depending on income level.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

I WANNA BE A TWINK posted:

....why?

You know you can just go here and see the order for all divisions right: http://www.aec.gov.au/election/candidates.htm

it's a break from pissfirearms I guess

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
how fukken good is yilmaz but ayy lmao

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Seagull posted:

I like how the racist impressions aren't racist

muslim yilmaz isn't a race

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

freebooter posted:

And on the topic of "stick with this mob," I've noticed that over the past few days the ~*~*~The Narrative~*~*~ in the media seems to have settled on "Labor is doing well, but there's not enough dissatisfaction in the populace to vote out a first-term government." Which very much strikes me as the media gallery being hung up on the last election and not properly analysing this one.

I've been doing a fair amount of doorknocking / phone banking over the past two months and that's kind of the overall vibe I've picked up tbh. So many people either don't know or don't care what is happening.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Zenithe posted:

I too am shocked that this actor speaking lines he was given to speak by a political party, is not actually a genuine tradie.

When I saw it on TV it sounded overdubbed

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

iajanus posted:

At times like these I wonder what it must be like to be one of the average Australians who apparently have no conception of what happens in politics or the media beyond a perfunctory appreciation, but that just comes home after work, watches whatever the latest renovation or Kardashian show is on tele, smacks their wife around a bit and then goes off to sleep happy and contented. Must be nice not having so much going through one's head.

your curiosity can be satisfied by reading your mafia posts

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
electricians are called sparkies because of sparks and also because who the hosed can be bothered saying "el-ec-trici-an" when it can be shortened ya bloody drongos

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
annabel crabb for campaign cabinet has a few journos in a bar drinking cocktails including sam maiden, heh

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Anidav posted:

Reachtel 49-51 to coalition.

this was 0 change

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Cleretic posted:

I've been doing doorknocking and phonebanking one day each, every week, all month. HTVs will be the last leg.

I'm so tired...

same

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

ZealousQ posted:

Weirdly enough, no. Once people realise you aren't asking for money, they're actually really keen to talk. I think part of it is that Australians are really hesitant to get into political discussions on a meaningful level with friends, and this gives them an outlet.

It helps that we're not just trying to win their vote, but also legitimately listen to their concerns and pass it onto the candidates.

I've shifted a few voters just by knocking on their door. Easily a dozen people this election have told me that they'll be voting Green because we're the only ones who bothered to ask their opinion.

this does absolutely not represent my experience doorknocking this election

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
this week looks kinda depressing but holy loving lol UKpol

10 shadow cabinet members resigned :rip:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Cartoon posted:

Yeah but it was you they were responding to.

I'm not sure if this is serious doorknocking advice or :ironicat:.

Interestingly in the hundreds(?) of conversations I've had with people, nobody has ever raised "the economy" or "jobs" as an issue. The closest was in my very last conversation yesterday when a lady asked what impact Brexit would have on Australia.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Spudd posted:

Hang on the election is fuckin' Friday?

no

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
All is well. This is the best of all possible worlds.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Starshark posted:

I hope you're quoting Voltaire.

I am the best-natured creature in the world, and yet I have already killed three men, and of these three two were priests!

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Anidav posted:

Maybe they're too busy being realtradies or something. Who knows.

It's just that the liberal Campaign has been so uneventful and boring and will probably lie about not touching medicare.

And yet still win based on polling. It's kind of baffling but I'm not sure if the Coalition PV is over-represented or not.

People are disappointed with Turnbull but the less-informed voters don't have any particular animus against him or Morrison personally (despite continuing utterly wasteful and damaging LNP policies).
Howard was partially right the other day when he spoke about not detecting anger in the electorate - it is there, but it's not widespread in the way the anti-Abbott sentiment was.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Hey Cartoon

GOT HIM YES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

so I havent been following the election too hard but I have a friend who I might be able to convince to vote alp, but hes complaining that they dont have any policy other than "turnbull sucks". apart from the gay marriage vote, what are they actually doing. telling my friend the lnp are gutting medicare to fund tax breaks and stuff isnt enough

do they own a house?

• Locked thread