Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/ellencoulter/status/737810543235371009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Grouchio posted:

How the hell did Australia manage to vote a Trump-esque dickhead like Tony Abbot into Premiership anyways? Are things that bad down under compared to here? Have there been worse PMs before?

Just to check, is it basically impossible to watch anything on youtube because of the draconian internet laws?
Abbott got in because the previous government had a massive internal fight that lasted several years. Abbott and Trump are nothing alike, and anything you read that tries to push the comparison is worthless.

Things are okay, but it's hard to think of areas the current government isn't loving up to one extent or another. There have been worse PMs than Abbott (but not for decades), and the jury is still out on Turnbull ( it he's an improvement unless you are a right wing nutter).

The only issue with watching stuff on YouTube are a few geoblocked things.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Grouchio posted:

Aren't the internet speeds there notoriously strangled by national law?

It's an infrastructure issue, and the program to fix it (the NBN) is one of the major points of debate over the last few years.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Santorum maybe?

Abbott is fundamentally an establishment man. He left the seminary because he liked the institution of the church but felt it spent too much time helping people. He's a hardcore monarchist half a world and half a century away from it being a mainstream position. You can make superficial comparisons to Trump (like the way they talk about their daughters) but their life story, personality and ideology are intrinsically different.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Amoeba102 posted:

So, you'd pronounce the party name Allah?

:pusheen:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/738288685230129152

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Anidav posted:

Isn't Switzerland kinda right wing?

Minimum income proposals aren't inherently left or right wing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Quantum Mechanic posted:

gently caress Warringah, it can float off into the sea
I didn't expect you to support ocean dumping.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/WarringahLabor/status/741186648998707200

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

ZealousQ posted:

Side question: who's good to follow on Twitter for the election? I have Ozman Faruqi, Ghost who Votes, and Antony Green, but who else is worth keeping tabs on.
Malcolm Farnsworth is pretty good for wonkish stuff about voting and political history.
Kevin Bonham and William Bowe (the Poll Bludger) are similar, but tweet more about current stuff.
Greg Jericho is Grog. Just remember to mute whatever sports poo poo you don't care about.
Mark di Stefano, Bernard Keane, Latika Bourke, Mark Colvin, Katharine Murphy and Lenore Taylor are all decent journos who are really active on twitter, and are probably where I hear a lot of Auspol news from.
David Pope is the best cartoonist in the country.
Aus Gov Just Googled is hilarious.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/smurray38/status/742320617999867922

Konomex posted:

Question. With preference deals largely being symbolic - people having to copy out their how to vote card. With the liberals raging on about putting the greens last in every electorate. Does this not semi legitimise the greens as a force to oppose the liberals? I'm not sure I put any faith in the idea that preferences will mean anything anymore.
Somewhere between 20-40% of people follow How to Vote cards exactly (it seems to vary by electorate, and by party allegiance), and they have an effect beyond that (people who might switch around parties a bit but still follow the same general trend). Antony Green has a few articles about it, as do some others.

I WANNA BE A TWINK posted:

What 11 seats are the Greens putting Liberals up? I've heard they're not marginals, so don't get why they would do that.

I'm guessing they're running open tickets.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Jintor posted:

aren't most refugees fleeing radical islam terrorism though

And most gun deaths aren't the result of terrorism, but that kind of thinking isn't going to Make America Great Again.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

LibertyCat posted:

Most gun homicides are with pistols but the media always blames the "AR-15 assault rifle" (when assault rifles haven't been used in spree shootings in decades).
Ahahaha, a gun fetishist who hasn't heard of DC vs Heller, you really are an ignorant fuckwit.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

LibertyCat posted:

I'd have thought, from the context of the discussion, it would be obvious I was talking about massacres committed by a single person in recent history. Frankly I don't give a poo poo what happened 100 years before I was born during a war. That's not the subject of the discussion and you know it.

Stuff that happened 100 years ago during a war is irrelevant, but a gun law passed 200 years ago because of a war is a vital pillar of modern democracy. Gotcha.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

ScreamingLlama posted:

(A question I've been meaning to ask, too: If you're an electoral candidate, are you allowed to vote for yourself?)
How else do you think the Democrats get votes?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Can someone tell me how allowing 30 000 people who are on TPVs (so are already in the community) to live here without that over their heads cause "chaos"? In a country of 23 million+?

Treating them like human beings only encourages them.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Lion Hat got 0.66 of a quota last time on first preferences, which would be more than enough to elect him in a DD even if everything else went against him.

Trapezium Dave posted:

Has there been much speculation about how the Senate is likely to break down? Is it too hard to say anything at all with the new rules?
It's generally too hard. You can look at who is up for re-election and make some broad guesses about trends, but picking who wins the 6th seat is impossible at a normal election. Throw in a DD reducing the quota and the new rules and you've got an even bigger mess.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 19, 2016

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

So someone went 'Well why vote Greens if their preferences flow to Labor anyway?' and I didnt know enough about how the new system works to refute. How does it work now?

Your preferences will only go to Labor if you write a number in a Labor box.

Previously if you voted 1 Above the Line your preferences would be allocated according to the wishes of that party. Now if you vote 1 AtL you vote for all the members of that party (in order from top to bottom) and nobody else. If you want to support more parties, you have to write more numbers.

First preference votes determine federal funding, so even if your vote eventually goes to a major party you can help a minor party achieve enough legitimacy to receive funding or to increase the amount they receive. Around 60M total gets allocated, so it's not pocket change.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I'm really interested to see how many people vote 1-6 AtL.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Lionhat got 0.66 of a quota because he was in first spot and people thought they were voting Liberal

Yeah, and a good position combined with a decent name will probably get someone over the line this time too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Trapezium Dave posted:

Is this for the Senate too, and does it count for both above and below the line voting (i.e. it goes to candidate 1 regardless)?
Yeah, ~$2.50 for both the House and Senate, assuming a 4% threshold is reached. It's worth noting that roughly half a dozen independent Reps candidates and several parties got funding despite being electorally unsuccessful.

For the Senate the Group receives funding if it gets 4% first preferences after looking at above and below the line votes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Even with 50-50 polls a hung parliament is still far from certain. The 1990 election was 50.1-49.9 (AGAINST Labor) and Labor still had a margin of 9 seats. There are more independents now than there were then but it's pretty easy to have a close 2PP vote that still results in a majority government with a margin of 5-15 seats.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Tgent posted:

Lmao is that actually running on tv?

Yup, saw it a few times this evening during the Bond marathon.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Anidav posted:

So the Nationals are dying a slow and painful death. With Xenophon and The Greeens looming around looking to pick up seats, it seems to be a more immediate problem for the Liberals since they don't have a reliable bank on preferences. This election is starting to sound more and more like QLD every day.
The Liberals can cannibalise the Nationals too, since the agreement not to run against each other only applies if there is a sitting candidate. Antony Green pointed out that the Nationals have lost more seats to the Liberals than to Labor over the past few decades.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

freebooter posted:

And on the topic of "stick with this mob," I've noticed that over the past few days the ~*~*~The Narrative~*~*~ in the media seems to have settled on "Labor is doing well, but there's not enough dissatisfaction in the populace to vote out a first-term government." Which very much strikes me as the media gallery being hung up on the last election and not properly analysing this one.

I think that's a pretty accurate read of the mood of the electorate, to be honest.

I can't see the next election being this close though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

starkebn posted:

the problem with the ad is no fault of the actor in it

I didn't think the acting was great either.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Amoeba102 posted:

Sold!

And my original post was a joke about how all the right wingers preference other right wingers with innocuous sounding names to the unfamiliar. I'm pretty sure it's just "Yeah, animals are cool and good".

Someone asked about this on a friend's Facebook wall, and it was pointed out that the AJP get decent ranked preferences from Labor and the Greens but not from the Coalition or the Lib Dems.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Count Chocula posted:

I don't get the outrage over #faketradie b/c I trust actors way more than manual laborers & don't get the Aussie 'tradie' fetish

It's not outrage, it's amusement at how naked and lazy the pandering is.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Plus you get white collar jobs with nicknames like chalkie and sawbones.

Count Chocula posted:

Yeah but the real problem isn't that there was an actor in a political job, it's that we think having a poo poo job makes somebody wise.
Yeah, trade jobs are poo poo, nice classism you've got going there.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Count Chocula posted:

But like why do people encounter/think about/fetishize working class jobs to the point where they give them cute nicknames? It stands out to me as an outsider.

It doesn't just happen to blue collar occupations, since you get things like sawbones and chalkie and shyster and pollie and journo and muso. Giving things nicknames is pretty common in Australia, regardless of context.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/BevanShields/status/745154682708844544

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/woolworths/status/745067983244910594

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Zenithe posted:

1/5 Green voters doesn't support same sex marriage?

Essential's poll from a few months ago puts the figure at 2%, but it's been higher in previous polls.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Seagull posted:

it's still mind boggling that of all things labor won't flip on instantly for the popular vote is letting gay folks get married

A Labor MP is more likely to support same sex marriage than a Labor voter is, and that's been true for a few years now.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The redistribution means it's probably no longer a bell weather seat but it'd still be good to see.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Maybe Morrison and Bernardi should have just chosen to not take offence at being called homophobes?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Anidav posted:

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull says Coalition MPs will still be able to vote against gay marriage, even if voters back it in a plebiscite.

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull says Coalition MPs will still be able to vote against gay marriage, even if voters back it in a plebiscite.

loving lol

If the Libs have a conscience vote then gay marriage will pass. Turnbull knows this and is trying to avoid pissing off the right wing nut jobs.

The whole exercise sucks and is a waste of money and is an excuse for a good old fashioned gay bash, but the end result is going to be the legalisation of same sex marriage.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Anidav posted:

I'm not sure. Do we have a list of pro and anti marriage libs?

Yeah, the Guardian has one. I'm phone posting but it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Support amongst Labor MPs is pretty close to 100% now, so it really doesn't take many Coalition MPs to get it across the line.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

open24hours posted:

He only just won in a landslide? Who's going to replace him? Rees-Mogg?

He said he was retiring before the next election anyway.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Anidav posted:

I find it odd that the Boomers in the UK want to leave the EU but the Boomers in Australia would never vote to leave the Commonwealth.

It's not odd at all, they're completely different.

Britain joined the EU in living memory (and it wasn't never not controversial), Australia has been a part of the Commonwealth since there has been a Commonwealth. Being a member of the EU has significant material effects on the day-to-day lives of the average Briton, while being a member of the Commonwealth lets us send politicians and sportspeople to fairly pointless gatherings every few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

xPanda posted:

A triple negation! Rarely seen in the wild.

Haha, oops.

• Locked thread