Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Oh yeah, if anyone's interested Switzerland is holding the referendum on universal income this Sunday. Polling suggests >60% of people will reject it though

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Well it depends (a lot) on what canton you're in but Europe in general has that weird fascist undercurrent

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
People I know in Sturt are giving NXT their first or second preference purely because they hate Pyne.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
All? It's possible for him to get 2 or 3 max. Some seats in metro Adelaide are the safest Labor seats in the country.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
He might get all the Lib seats in Adelaide but the huge regional ones that are the size of Belgium or whatever are hardcore Lib territory and I'm not even sure if he's running a lower house candidate in them anyway.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/jun/03/aboriginal-sacred-site-up-to-8000-years-old-destroyed-by-cultural-vandals
Aboriginal sacred site up to 8,000 years old destroyed by 'cultural vandals'

quote:

Scratching out of ochre stencils on Derwent valley cave wall is ‘devastating’, says Clyde Mansell, chairman of Tasmanian Aboriginal Land Council

Vandals have destroyed a sacred Aboriginal site in Tasmania by scratching out hand stencils which traditional owners say were made during large clan gatherings up to 8,000 years ago.

Two ochre stencils on a cave wall in the upper reaches of the Derwent valley were found destroyed by members of Tasmania’s Aboriginal community on the eve of Sorry Day, which marks the anniversary of the Bringing them Home report into the stolen generations.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
IIRC over 49.1% 2PP is the number the coalition have historically won elections with. It's been a while since I've seen the actual number so maybe the decimal point is slightly different but the actual point I'm making is that 50-50 or just under is definitely in the coalition's favour. But then again, I guess the trend against them could continue.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Just warning you, gender is one topic Grundle is consistently terrible at writing about. At least I always got that impression back in the megathread days when all his articles were copy/pasted here.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Even if I was insanely rich I don't think I'd ever spend my money on a swimming pool if I lived on the beachfront

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Lid posted:

Ummmm... change places?

EXCLUSIVE

Labor will preference the Greens ahead of the Liberals across the country and is considering a deal with Nick Xenophon, which could see the Independent Senator pick up three Liberal seats in South Australia and possibly even Cabinet Minister Christopher Pyne's seat of Sturt.

One of these days NXT will have to loosely support one party over the other and it will seriously take the wind out of his sails either way. He's still avoiding it by running an open ticket as his voter base is an incomprehensible blend of ostensibly progressive and conservative voters but preferences deals and/or a hung parliament will probably see him support one of the L parties more than the other. I imagine those three SA seats will be pretty important this election and the amazing thing is one of them is one of those ultra-conservative semi-arid rural seats that has voted Liberal with a very comfortable margin for decades.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
lol

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
These are the people I've got in the seat of Adelaide

GUY Sophie The Greens
RIVISH Adrian Family First
TIDSWELL Matt Animal Justice Party
LOCK Tyrone Liberal Democrats
COLOVIC David Liberal
ELLIS Kate Australian Labor Party
HILL Joe Nick Xenophon Team

loving lol at this guy:

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Scylo posted:

Facebook says 10k viewers.. that's a tiny number

They scheduled it for 6pm on a Friday night. It's almost like they wanted people not to watch...

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Apologies for the Buzzfeed link

Heaps Of People Couldn’t Watch The Debate Because Their Internet Sucks

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
I'm not a nazi but

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Their faux Aussie blokes are always hilarious

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Anidav posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I0wae57nJ0
"Who just wants to get ahead with an investment property!"

How out of loving touch do you have to get to run an ad on this on TV?

This authentic aussie tradie wears a silver chain while he operates a circular saw

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Anidav posted:

The NXT guy was a dick.

Said no to his htv card and he went ona small rant about voting for real change

Who trains these monkeys?

It's kinda interesting that he's running candidates in the eastern states because half of his policy platform is about "sticking up for SA" which will actually mean going against the interests of his constituents in the east when it comes to funding allocation or water allocation upstream in the Murray. Plus he'll eventually have to support either the Liberals or Labor in a tight election (probably Liberal) which will hurt him because so many of his core voters are former Liberal and Labor voters. He'll end up backed into a corner for a few reasons.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
NXT's core demographic is that weird 20-25% of Adelaidians who vote third party (not including Greens voters) who all voted Democrats in the 90's and half of whom will jettison him the moment a hung parliament forces him to return to his Young Liberal roots. There's no interstate equivalent, or at least not one that he could tap into.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Stumbled across this paper today
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs11538-015-0126-0

quote:

Abstract
Ocean dynamics is known to have a strong effect on the global climate change and on the composition of the atmosphere. In particular, it is estimated that about 70 % of the atmospheric oxygen is produced in the oceans due to the photosynthetic activity of phytoplankton. However, the rate of oxygen production depends on water temperature and hence can be affected by the global warming. In this paper, we address this issue theoretically by considering a model of a coupled plankton–oxygen dynamics where the rate of oxygen production slowly changes with time to account for the ocean warming. We show that a sustainable oxygen production is only possible in an intermediate range of the production rate. If, in the course of time, the oxygen production rate becomes too low or too high, the system’s dynamics changes abruptly, resulting in the oxygen depletion and plankton extinction. Our results indicate that the depletion of atmospheric oxygen on global scale (which, if happens, obviously can kill most of life on Earth) is another possible catastrophic consequence of the global warming, a global ecological disaster that has been overlooked.

http://russgeorge.net/2016/06/17/plankton-will-stop-making-oxygen-by-end-of-century/
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology-science/science/global-warming-could-choke-every-6933261

quote:

“By 2100, the earth at sea level could have atmospheric oxygen levels comparable to the top of Mount Everest today. And as far as I know, people cannot normally stay on Everest without oxygen masks for more than a few minutes,” Petrovskii said.
Professor Petrovskii explained: “Global warming has been a focus of attention of science and politics for about two decades now. A lot has been said about its expected disastrous consequences; perhaps the most notorious is the global flooding that may result from melting of Antarctic ice if the warming exceeds a few degrees compared to the pre-industrial level. However, it now appears that this is probably not even close to the biggest danger that the warming can cause to the humanity.”

Welp, nice knowing you all. Lol at the poll in the Mirror article though

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Count Chocula posted:

Please tell me this isn't real Australian slang.

fair shake of the sauce bottle mate

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Orkin Mang posted:

not bad. but seriously supcunts

hey mang, what's going on

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

I think on q&a there was a question about creative industries providing higher rates of indirect employment than mining. Anyone know where the evidence base is for that?

These are different years unfortunately. This was before the mining industry shed like 50,000 jobs in 14-15 so the difference is probably even wider.
Arts:
http://arts.gov.au/sites/default/files/creative-industries/sdip/strategic-digital-industry-plan.pdf

quote:

Creative industries are part of the emerging services economy in Australia, contributing more
to the economy both in terms of output and employment than is commonly known.i
 $31.1 billion industry gross product in 2008-09;
 an average growth rate of 3.9 per cent in real terms, faster than the broader economy
(over the ten years to 2008-09); and
employing 438,000 people, or 4.8 per cent of total employmentii (based on the 2006
Census)
In 2008-09, the creative industries made a larger contribution to GDP than a number of
traditional industry groups, such as agriculture, forestry and fishing; electricity, gas, water and
waste services; and accommodation and food services.ii
Mining:
http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/8415.0

quote:

EMPLOYMENT AT END JUNE
2013-14: 186,194

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
The libs actually haven't bothered to send me anything. I've gotten plenty from Kate Ellis and Robert Simms but maybe they've just given up on this seat. I vaguely remember getting a really hilarious one I think in 2010 from their candidate saying he could really relate to voters in the CBD because he once owned an investment property here :psyduck: There was also a photo of his daughters at the horse races in formal dresses and those stupid hats with some quote from them like "Dad's such a card! He's always talking about politics and how he can improve things!"

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Just a nice South Eastern Australian secession with SA and Tassie would be good. Maybe we could even enter into a federation with New Zealand. :unsmith:

Ideally you want the border to be at just the right latitude that it includes Adelaide and Canberra but excludes Sydney/most of NSW/the seat of Grey. That way we also get a few more cool mountains too. Obviously it wouldn't go further west than the WA border.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

When Alex learns that Britain has decided to leave the European Union, he’s shocked by just hold normal everything seems. But the calm doesn’t last as Alex is suddenly accosted by a giant living coin from the not so distant future.

In this horrific future where Britain has left the EU, four story busses lie strewn about the streets of London after a failed plan to cut costs, the Queen’s Guard have been replaced by flying reptiles with machine guns and the River Thames runs red with molten lava.

Now Alex and his handsome sentient pound must travel back to the past and sway the vote for European solidarity, by proving that all you need is love.

This erotic tale is 4,200 words of sizzling human on monetary unit action, including anal, blowjobs, rough sex, cream pies and living pound love.

:eyepop:

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

tithin posted:

Fascinating developments in brexit territory last night

Scotland & NI have the power of Veto on Brexit ALSO! the EU said that there's no way for Scotland to remain in the EU while it's a part of the UK.

So either Scotland or NI uses its power of Veto and pisses off most of England, or Scotland votes to Secede.

Two fucken birds one stone.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Death is certain next week.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Devliering for Mayo :haw:

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Redcordial posted:

Hahahah, I hate that pile of poo poo.

Not only can he break tables, but he can break the rules of our lexicon too, what a loser.

Looks like the Xenophon candidate has 52% 2PP in his seat so he'll probably lose it :buddy:

It's one of the weirder Liberal safe seats around; look at the first election that first saw him elected as member.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...4b0f4303810a590

quote:

How's this for a final pitch?

Back to the Coalition and costings, just so we are clear: the final pitch from the government is welfare recipients (and pensioners, even though we don’t mention that explicitly in our documents) will pay (if they don’t come up well after a data matching exercise) for the election goodies we’ve rolled out over the past seven and a half weeks.

I could say grannies for dunny blocks but that might be rude.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Oh btw, don't accidentally put the potentially benign-sounding "Health Australia Party" anywhere near the top of your ballot paper, since they're actually human garbage fires.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_Australia_Party

quote:

The Sydney Morning Herald has reported that the Health Australia Party is against Water fluoridation in Australia, and its manifesto "reveals a preoccupation with homeopathy, home birth and conspiracy theories about medical research", and the party supports chiropractic treatment of infants with colic.[8] The party describes this as support for informed consent for immunisation.[9] Health Australia Party's National Party President Professor Kerry Bone stated in an article titled "Why is there a need for the Health Australia Party?" that "True freedom of choice in health care, facilitated by a supportive and empathetic government and informed by balanced media representation, is what we seek."[10]

Royal Australian College of General Practitioners deputy chair Dr Sue Page has criticised the policies of the Health Australia Party. Professor John Dwyer, from the Australian Health Reform Alliance[7] ("a coalition of peak health groups working towards a better health system for Australia’s future"[11]) stated that he was "concerned" that the Australia Health Party could be elected based on its polling position in NSW, stating: "Even allowing that they're well-intentioned, the policies that they're putting forward are dangerous and frankly ignorant."[7]

quote:

The #1 Victorian Candidate Dr Isaac Golden stated in his article titled 'Corruption in the Pharmaceutical Sector: Why the Health Australia Party is needed' that "the Health Australia Party was created in 2015 largely in an attempt to expose and counter the damaging effects of this insidious influence on Australian healthcare systems.[14] and "to respond to the well funded, sustained and coordinated attacks on natural medicine in Australia which have placed our homeopathic profession at risk, as well as all natural therapists".[15]

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Kat Delacour posted:

And that's just the ones that are selling. I've been keeping an eye on the market nearby - there are a lot of "O.N.O.", "buyer wants to sell!" on private sales, and auction results are showing a lot of passed-in at seemingly reasonable (for the inflated market ideals) vendor bids.

Wait, does that mean... it's happening?

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Unfortunately Pyne will probably keep his seat. Last election there were six seats in SA that were so safe that they were never forced to preferences to determine a winner, but this year there is only one candidate in any SA seat polling above 40% - Pyne.

Looks like the LNP seats Grey and Mayo (home of garbage fire Jamie Briggs) will go to NXT so that will provide a small amount of silver lining in a grim election night. NXT running an open ticket and polling at 21% mean that basically all the other 9 SA seats could do unexpected poo poo.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
No sausage sizzle what the gently caress is this, step up your game Antarctic polling booths

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
lol that filter doesn't even do any facial recognition thing, it just obscures most of the picture

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Anidav posted:

What is interesting is that neither party has exceeded the margin of error so it's really a coin toss.

And also there is a candidate with ~20% of the vote with open tickets/undeclared preferences running in 11 SA seats so... yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Lol, they won't bring back Abbott. The right faction will back Morrison. Even Bishop is more likely than Abbott.

• Locked thread