Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Starshark posted:

Off-topic but how did the internet discover the phrase 'pearl clutchers'? Six months ago it's no-where to be seen and now it's everywhere.

A slate article from 2012 says it was already a cliche in feminist circles at that time. :shrug:
http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2012/01/pearl_clutching_how_the_phrase_became_a_feminist_blog_clich_.html

Pretty sure its recent popularity has actually come from MRAs though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

CrazyTolradi posted:

I thought all millennials hated their parents and did the opposite of what they were told?

Serioustalk, keep in mind this is the age group of people most likely to be engaged by social media campaigns which the Greens and, to a lesser degree, Labor do far better than the LNP.

Here comes dat boi

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Starshark posted:

No. I'm not even surprised he's doubling down.

(I have no idea how to embed tweets, you'll have to take my word on this one)

Click on a tweet and then just c/p the url straight in. It's all automatic.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXMej__yTmE

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Minimum income proposals aren't inherently left or right wing.

Yeah, but the right's far more likely to hold the view that the pain of being in poverty is the only thing that motivates scroungers and that basic income would see plummeting productivity as bludgers sit on the couch collecting cheques.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

BBJoey posted:

the current US election shows that self-proclaimed liberals are more than happy to take this view of the world

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Source your quotes

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

quote:

one would want people to see Marxism as a doctrine of liberation of the things most oppressing them, not the advancement of Idealist notions of gender and sexuality that they have never subscribed to.

:lol:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

sidviscous posted:

I think it's an awful lot of words to say "your genitals are the be and all end-all of gender and loving get over it and stop letting the conservatives link it with marxism because I'm a marxist and it's making me look bad"

Yeah this is exactly what it is, mixed in with a failed prolier-than-thou, "All these marxists are students and academics, not blue collar workers like myself a real dirt-under-the-fingernails journalist."

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Yeah but I heard that thorium would make an entirely safe and cheap power supply with absolutely no weapons produceable waster and it's the Greens fault that we're still using co- :suicide:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
So what happens if doctors don't follow this deal and instead keep children from being returned to detention? Surely the association can't override a doctor's ruling of the need to provide duty of care? The libs could hardly go back on the deal, that would be an image nightmare.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Anidav posted:

Isn't Malcolm not showing up kinda damaging to Malcolm or does no one care about Sky News?

It's a terrible idea for Malcolm because no one cares about Sky News, but other media outlets are probably going to run stories on how much of a loser he is for not showing up.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Cleretic posted:

They're also too identifiable to be able to do much with their stunts. They were good in the Howard era not just because Howard and his time gave them a lot to play with, but also because they were still targets small enough that they didn't have their faces plastered on blacklists. They were able to fly under the radar enough to make a spectacle right in the face of someone important.

Yeah this was actually on show in that episode. One of the women was able to give Plibersek and Shorten a rat, while Craig got told to gently caress off by security at the Turnbull thing.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Should have been listening during RE mate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu5bBDRpzPM

starkebn posted:

Isn't there something in the bible about this? This isn't a problem people haven't seen coming.

gently caress should have read the rest of the thread first.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jun 9, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Yeah pretty sure it was the dude who pissed off Poseidon.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

hooman posted:

That's not very environmentally friendly, we want sustainable multiple use killing machines.

It rhymes with Kill-o-tine.

Not if you pronounce it correctly it doesn't. :colbert:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
tbf to the coppers, a pair of scissors are like double the knife!

So what's the deal with not randomising the ballot papers? Just to make the job easier for vote counters and scrutineers?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Cleretic posted:

Someone gave me a red title for having bad opinions back in February, and I still don't know which opinions they were.

Probably Fallout-based. I was pretty angry about Fallout for a while.

The right reaction to Fallout. I've been playing it again recently and there's just so much poo poo that's lazy.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Tommofork posted:

Funnily enough they probably think the Democrats are still a party.

Someone tried to tell them, but they said it too quietly.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Periphery posted:

The requirement to have paid staff on scene before work is allowed to commence has some serious implications for the CFA, the CFA volunteers and the safety and success of operations. It also has to have some fairly significant funding impacts as well. Who is forking out the cash for the changes?

Apparently the EBA also includes a requirement that every CFA unit gets road crash rescue certified. This has some people in the SES worried that it's part of a play to take that role from the SES - currently the biggest provider of RCR in the state and also a volunteer organisation. While I question the fact that such a vital thing as cutting people out of cars is largely in the hands of volunteers, I think there could be some real issues with transferring that highly skilled role to another volunteer organisation with not nearly as much experience in that area. In the interest of full disclosure: I'm a SES volunteer.

I thought the paid staff requirement was only for stations with both volunteers and paid staff. It really doesn't seem that drastic. Maybe I'm wrong though?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

DancingShade posted:

Also gently caress preferencing and all that bullshit. I number every single relevant box because gently caress your backroom deals.

Well make sure you don't this time and exhaust your vote before reaching all the shitheel right wingers.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

AgentF posted:

What's the theory here? If your vote is exhausted before it reaches the right-wingers then doesn't it mean that the non-right wingers have lost anyway and been eliminated? In that case, wouldn't you want your vote to go to the least horrible right-winger?

I could be wrong, but isn't this all sorts of hosed because of quotas, your first preferences might get well above their quotas and have that run off to your second preferences and so on? So in the end if everyone you want gets above their quota your vote could be directed to someone you don't want.

I suppose you're still right that it might be better even then to direct your preference to the least objectionable, but I'd still be exhausting it before I got near the neo-nazis.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

cum_dumpster posted:

i see you have nothing worthwhile to contribute as usual.

keep it up

:ironicat:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Personally I hate Islam and Muslims because of how bigoted they are towards those god drat faggots.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

cum_dumpster posted:

guess where the irony lies?

i dunno, i mean, its kinda funny how you to dont wanna join in an adult conversation

I know when I want to have an adult conversation I immediately tell everyone the argument is pointless, because, "lol internet who needs that rite, there are starving kids in Africa and you want infrastructure?"

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Jintor posted:

aren't most refugees fleeing radical islam terrorism though

No they're all obviously sleeper agents trying to take our booze and pork away from us.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Skellybones posted:

Blair Mountain, 50-100 coal miners killed by local police.

And private police, and as a test of new airforce doctrine :suicide101:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

LibertyCat posted:

Factually incorrect, but this isn't the place for the debate. TFR would be happy to enlighten you.

Note an "Assault Weapon" (political term for scary black rifle) is different from an "Assault Rifle" (a specific technical term)

Except you're also incorrect. It was illegal in America between 1994 and 2004 to purchase AR-15s manufactured between those years. You could purchase earlier models, or AR-15s made without certain attachments though.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

LibertyCat posted:

This is not the same as "Apparently AR-15's were illegal in the US between 1994 and 2004".

It's also not the same as, "no they weren't."

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

LibertyCat posted:

"Automatic Rifle" has a specific meaning - part of that meaning is it has a mode where if you hold the trigger down and it goes BANG BANG BANG. Automatic Rifles have not been used in US Civilian spree shootings in decades. Demanding bans on them is pointless as they're already heavily restricted and have vanishingly small levels of violent crime.

Doesn't this sort of contradict your earlier argument that weapons bans just couldn't work in the US and that it would take a huge amount of resources in order to be barely effectual?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

Guys, I just had a thought today.

What if the Brexit causes a recession in Britain, which leads to significant ASX losses which leads to Labor wins?

I know it's a long shot but man, I can imagine the guy who thought "yeah let's have an election after the UK referendum" to get his rear end beat.

There have already been massive ASX losses. Down 2.1 percent today, because of a poll showing leave was ahead 5 points. The EU said they'd punish Britain if they left and the US looks like they're about to change their interest rates. I think you're probably spot-on.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
On the other hand, guns aren't addictive and don't give you a chemical high that alleviates your lovely and monotonous life. It's not really a 1:1 comparison.

Banning drugs didn't work, so why would banning hand grenades? :shrug:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

MiniSune posted:

Hmmmmm. Suspect AP is some fundy party but will look in to it. Seen some of the independents work around so will look in to him as well. I dont mind a decent independent (voted for Andren back in the day)

CDP will of course be last. Rest TBD.

Anti-paedophile party is Derrin Hinch's party.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Mad Katter posted:

I thought that was Derry Hinch's Justice Party.

Huh it is too. Sorry, my mistake.

e: I don't want to see Ricky replaced by Hinch. :(

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
McEwen
1 MITCHELL, Rob Australian Labor Party
2 ANDERSON, James The Nationals
3 BARKER, Neil The Greens
4 JERMYN, Chris Liberal
5 LEE, Ross Independent
6 ANDREW, Tracey Australian Country Party
7 TRUSCOTT, Jeff Rise Up Australia Party
8 VAINA, Cathy Animal Justice Party
9 LONG, Dorothy Lorraine Family First Party

Not the worst.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Wrageowrapper posted:

Whats a Democratic Labour Party and can they get away with DLP?

I'd imagine Wilkie has this.

Mid 20th century anti-communist Labor party splitters.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Wrageowrapper posted:

Well if they are anti-communist then what is the bloody point?
:shrug:

They like the Catholic part of the Labor party, but don't like the labour part.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
https://whatlaborreallythinks.com.au

This is an anti-labor ad. lol.

libs: We are literal monsters!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

CrazyTolradi posted:

What loving kind of name is Sly?

It's an American and Canadian form of Sylvester.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
gently caress Joe Hildebrand

• Locked thread