Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

What annoys me about that Libs and Greens super deal is you'd have to have below 0 knowledge of how politics (or gently caress, anything involving negotiation) works to be angry about it.

It's like being outraged at the state of origin players for being traitors to their teams or something for daring to play with others for a shared goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

starkebn posted:

Where the gently caress does language like this come from? RDN has in no way moved in on the Greens trying to gently caress it up. He's intelligent, compassionate, knowledgeable, perfect for the job. What has he done that is so against Greens values that make him so different to Bob Brown?

They passed something through the senate that the Libs wanted, once. Clearly this means Di Natale is secretly hoping to be the next Libs leader.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Recoome posted:

you guys really loving suck at being not baited

Here's a tip

LibertyCat posted:

Jerk detected! This user is on your ignore list, click to view post anyway

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Anidav posted:

Newspoll 50-50

Australia: :shrug:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Recoome posted:

I am channeling Cartoon's layout with this post.

Love hearing about this stuff Recoome, keep it up.

Is there some form of redress you can have for this? Like if an independent were blatantly racist, would we have no recourse until the next election?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Knorth posted:

Next debate is going to be on Facebook apparently, hmm, I'm betting it's going to be tedious

Nothing but the most milquetoast questions will get past the moderators.

"Malcolm, you seem to have the momentum of a runaway freight train. Why are you so popular?"

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

Nono its me crying drat you hormones. Also he was trying to take my picture after i pushed him away from me so i "grabbed" "his" "phone" and "threw" it on the "tracks" in rage. So welp.

What a creep. Good on you Synthy for not taking his poo poo.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Recoome posted:

A chick traitor to the cause posted this

There we go

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The Australian posted:

Strong, independent Coles bravely tells marxist fair work to gently caress off.

Found the Arsestralian headline for you

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Reading this thread has gotten a lot more confusing lately

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

CP you better put these on imgur or something so they can be shared far and wide. I don't want to hotlink it and have your domain get hammered.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

"--it might even allow a numpty like me to be elected"

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

If Labor were to get in (say with a Greens - NXT alliance) if they were knocked out at the next election in 2019 what's to stop the Libs loving up the NBN again? This is why infrastructure projects fail.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Also if this Facebook debate really goes ahead we should bend our collective will to getting a question through to both candidates:

"If the boats have been stopped then why are there still people in detention? They should have been processed by now."

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Konomex posted:

Question. With preference deals largely being symbolic - people having to copy out their how to vote card. With the liberals raging on about putting the greens last in every electorate. Does this not semi legitimise the greens as a force to oppose the liberals? I'm not sure I put any faith in the idea that preferences will mean anything anymore.

Hopefully the two major parties both bleating about the Greens a lot makes them stick more in voters' minds. It's free publicity in a way.

Snod. posted:

I'm certain questions similar to this have been asked and they always waffle about process and procedure and speak in circles until everyone forgot the question

:smith:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Some ALP members have said outright that they're preferencing Libs first, but they're not exactly singing from the same hymn sheet. Let me see if I can dig up some names.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

My Google-Fu is failing me but have we talked about this?

I think that beats undeclared houses any day :lol:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Can someone warm up the "gently caress JOE HILDEBRAND" gif please?

He's been named as moderator for the Facebook debate on Friday, 6PM I assume EST.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

"Our first question has 1 million likes and comes from Joe Q Citizen. He asks - 'Why do you keep picking complete dickholes to be the moderator for these debates?'"

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Comic title: nice state you've got there; it'd be a shame if anyone... SMASHED IT

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

GlenMR posted:

You see these images on Twitter every so often, and it just defies belief that these things actually happen. Some of them are just so preposterous.

quote:

My three-year-old stepson was jumping on the bed and wouldn't behave, so I shot him dead. (TX, 5/19)

quote:

My three-year-old stepson was jumping on the bed and wouldn't behave, so I shot him dead. (TX, 5/19)

quote:

:stonk:

Ban all guns and arrest all gun owners now

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Theres a wordfilter in my brain that changes "Such is life' to "im an idiot" and i cant turn it off

It's a good filter

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Easy response: have a giant Turnbull (like Chicken Parmi's ones) morph into TAbbott. Tagline: Has anything really changed?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

ScreamingLlama posted:

Are the Sex Party running any lower house candidates? If not, I'll just vote Greens for lower and Sexies for upper. If the Dems ever loving manage to get past the lovely new electoral rules and get reregistered, New England can have a goon candidate.

Why do you want to vote for the Sex Party?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Can someone tell me how allowing 30 000 people who are on TPVs (so are already in the community) to live here without that over their heads cause "chaos"? In a country of 23 million+?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Where are you guys getting your ballot orders from?

Anyway, this independent in my area was already hilarious since he'll be Makin a Difference (we're in Makin, you see) but now I see his picture in larger-than-postage-stamp format and he even has a delightful moustache and beard that will never meet combo!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

NXT's Makin candidate is a Chaplain. Hrm.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Makin (bacon)

code:

1	    ZAPPIA, Tony	    Australian Labor Party
2	    SNAPE, Keiran	    The Greens
3	    COOMBE, Paul	    Family First
4	    ALDRIDGE, Mark	 Independent
5	    GREENBERG, Zarina	    Animal Justice Party
6	    REYNOLDS, Graham	    Liberal
7	    BOSSIE, Craig	    Nick Xenophon Team

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Kat Delacour posted:

the average Liberal voter will see "Family First... Oh, I like families. I'll mark them number 2"

What will actually happen

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

You could use my question, maybe it might get some traction:

"Mr Turnbull, you claim to have stopped the boats since the Coalition has been in power. If that is true, why are there still people on Manus and Nauru awaiting processing? It's not like there's more people coming in for processing according to you."

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Am I going to be able to watch this farce on TV at all?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Scylo posted:

These questions are much better than the questions at the last debate

Agreed. No mention of boats so far

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Kat Delacour posted:

Shorten owned the same sex marriage debate there.

Definitely.

What Shorten was talking about, Joe, you pillock, is the plebiscite would allow homophobes a public voice to spew their hate.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

If journalist's reactions to the #faketradie thing goes to show anything, it's that I should put my time in the SC thread on my CV.

Also crossposting from Nauru thread. :smith:
http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/jun/20/the-worst-ive-seen-trauma-expert-lifts-lid-on-atrocity-of-australias-detention-regime

Gonna need someone to nut up and watch ACA tonight so we can compare and contrast their version to this.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I'm mildly hopeful of a Labor-Greens minority government but then I see Shorten wussing out on the Medicare privatisation stuff (he wouldn't commit to it on 7:30 last night) and I worry again.

Just because Turnbull denies it doesn't mean they aren't thinking of it. They've been instituting policies for the past three years that are chipping away at Universal Healthcare. What's the downside? If you win the election saying that Libs were planning to privatise Medicare, good job, well done. If the Libs win and privatise Medicare, you're vindicated. If they don't, everyone will have forgotten by 2019 anyway.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Cleretic posted:

Sure would be nice to be an adult in good economic times. That sounds like it'd be fun.

You'd think so but then you get old and somehow the good world economic state was because you worked hard and these punk kids just need to get a job rather than complain...

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Sorry it doesnt work like that

Yep. Just as Obama invaded Iraq and created ISIS, everything that has ever happened, even while the Libs were in power, was Labor's fault.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

hooman posted:

Cameron has resigned.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Suck poo poo pigfucker.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I don't understand the UK Labour ministers calling for Corbyn's head. Is it simply because they lost the referendum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Cheers for the answers all.

How anyone could look at Joe Hockey and Scott Morrison as uh-um-uh-treasurers and think "yep, good economic managers there" is beyond me. Of course they don't look at them, they just do what the radio tells them. My Dad was in hook, line and sinker to the 350million pounds a week line.

• Locked thread