Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Mithranderp posted:

‘I think there does need to be give and take on both sides, and this idea that sex is kind of a woman’s right to absolutely withhold, just as the idea that sex is a man’s right to demand I think they are both they both need to be moderated, so to speak’

- The Prime Minister for Women and Indigenous Australiasns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I really dislike the politics of superannuation because all the articles around it are like this, outlining the policies without spelling out how it actually affects people/who it even affects and then capitalising on the same misunderstanding with scare campaigns..

"The government is coming for your super"*#$^

* If you had disposable savings of over $500,000 during your lifetime to put into your super tax haven account rather than anything else in life like children or mortgages or nice cars or Nintendos or something
# If you earn enough money from your super per annum to be taxed on your super earnings that means your super balance is sky high because you were already earning a poo poo load of money
$ By the way you also know the super contributions we're all forced to have aren't even taxed in the first place, don't you?
^ Really, nobody is being affected or 'double taxed' by this except the extremely well-off who aren't going to loving vote for us for financial reasons anyway because the Libs have their number. Literally. They are probably on the high roller political donor list.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I think the constant attacks and mentions are potentially increasingly their viability and breaking the 2PP strategy.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
That's hosed, I hope he's getting charged for racial abuse if they're even considering his phone.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
If he's known to the police box he probably makes a habit of it, and might not have anywhere else to be. Maybe they want some white coats to come get him? I don't know how many witness statements they'd need to make a case for that when he's white.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Recoome posted:

Mm yessss this dumb racist person must be mentall ill. OF COURSE it's mental illness I mean what else could it be

I can't tell whether you're upset that I unfairly characterised mental illness or racism but: what everyone else said. I don't even think that little police office is a proper station, they're probably working it on a rotation from the station down Flinders Lane, and they recognised him. Nobody needs to be there that often to be recognised (unless they work there), much less recognised as a serial racist pest. Even the goths/emos/subculture of choice don't really hang out at Flinders St Station anymore.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Recoome posted:

No sorry hang on, everyone who disagrees with me has schizophrenia/homosexuality is a mental illness.

I don't think it's his ideology that is symptomatic of something not being quite right but rather the fact he hangs around a train station trying to starts fights over it.

Pickled Tink posted:

You cannot label someone as mentally ill or deficient just because you do not understand why they are motivated to do things.

This is the response to what I'm actually trying to say, so w/e. I wasn't trying to suggest that everyone with clinical depression is a secret racist or something, just that it's a loving weird choice of hobby.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
:thumbsup:

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Nothing worse than being late to your erection.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I don't feel like it's throwing the election, I feel like they're playing to the negative message and explicitly using coalition budget measures so the coalition can't criticise their choices. So they cherry picked from a rotten bunch to find something just reasonable enough to push a message of savings from middle-income welfare from FTB-A and HECS 2% from 50k is like a slow simmer towards the current 4% at 54k. Then for some reason I guess Newstart changes mean people under 25 can rot on the streets if they are unemployed?

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

drunkill posted:

And just like that the NBN is dead.

Good job Murdoch, you won.
E: labor to continue HFC rollout, rip fiber (except for a few extra places but not many)

It has been dead since the Liberals were elected and burnt money ripping up the existing agreements and replacing the board/branding. Nobody is going to start over a third time until HFC/fttn is even more worthless than copper was then.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPmDiOcDIpU

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
In alternative poo poo Liberal candidate news,

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/jun/13/liberal-candidate-in-hot-water-for-tweet-attacking-frozens-kristen-bell

quote:

A Liberal candidate for next year’s Western Australian election who came under fire for obscene Facebook posts is again in hot water – this time over a two-year-old tweet.

Daniel Parasiliti, who is challenging the former government minister Michelle Roberts in the seat of Midland, reportedly criticised the use of Frozen actor Kristen Bell in a beauty product advertisement, saying she had a “head like a half-eaten pie”.

Parasiliti last month apologised after it emerged he had made a graphic sexual comment to a woman in a Facebook post eight years ago, when he was 21, after she challenged his views about Kevin Rudd’s apology to Indigenous Australians.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Seriously you can loving stop now

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I'd like to go through worthy minors in the senate ticket before hitting Labour and Coalition, and the hardest part is going to be knowing who to not number, or even if I should shove them below majors in some order to avoid fundies deciding an exhausted vote. Is there a guide I can look to before the election, or should I just go to Greens volunteers on election day? I've never actually taken a how to vote so I don't know if they even cover the senate. I'm in VIC.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

EXAKT Science posted:

How is a vote for the greens a vote for the libs when you don't use fptp?

Congrats! You are more engaged in our election procedures than the general population.

In fairness, I took that test and was annoyed that I got a bar graph with no extrapolation of which particular policies I agreed/disagreed with. It may as well have spat out which Friends character I was, except people usually actually know what the characterisations of the Friends were.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
This could be good.

Election 2016: Victorian dairy farmers in safe Liberal seat say they will take their anger to the ballot box

quote:

Alex Robertson, who represents the advocacy group Farmer Power, said the feeling among dairy farmers was that if the Coalition and Labor were not going to listen to them, "we're not going to vote for them."
While Simpson had always voted Liberal, everything was now on the table in this election, said Mr Methven.

Mr Methven said when he spoke with his friends, most of them had talked about voting independent.

I don't expect a revolution of Greens votes or even a swing big enough for a safe rural seat to switch hands, but there seems to be a lot of articles talking up the discontent with the big two.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
He probably doesn't exist.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Yeah.

I assume it was a politically strategic move, as 1 less liberal seat is 1 less liberal towards house majority, but I've got little sympathy they're getting poo poo for it. Last and Second Last is all well and good but it's Fred loving Nile.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Kommando posted:

This one poster is dominating the conversation. Is there nothing else to talk about?

Sounds like an election campaign to me.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
The little variations in state law around reproductive rights and services are a real kick in the dick.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Nevermind the electoral fraud, he's complaining that Dominos Pizza is closed when he lives 20 minutes walk from any number of tasty restaurants on Chapel and at least a half dozen pizza places alone in between! This man is a cretin!

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Hi, I'm standing for the party of the rich upper class! I eat literal garbage food and complain when they are closed!

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I'm in Melb Ports too so I am looking forward to Danby getting dropped, hopefully because we went Green not Blue.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Antony Green is running a guide on senate HTV tickets from submissions he receives from the parties.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/federal-election-2016/guide/snsw/htv/

I'm confusing myself about whether I should keep numbering after 6, to outline bad to worse, because if 50% of votes (for example) exhaust after 6 preferences there could be weird poo poo with quota's unable to be passed on to further preferences. Antony Green's blog suggests:

quote:

The new electoral system is likely to give the final seats to the parties with the highest partial quotas at the start of the count, which is why the above table is a useful guide.
http://blogs.abc.net.au/antonygreen/2016/06/2016-senate-calculators.html#more

But I'm still a bit fuzzy on whether that will be a good or bad thing.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Yeah, the Liberal HTVs in particular are going to make that unavoidable, but I am hoping that we are largely secular enough that even the average Liberal voter will see "Family First... Christian whaaaat ?" and make their own order.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Possibly. But I do think Family First has a lot more media recognition for their Christian roots than that. Also there are plenty of people, especially in financially conservative Liberal voting industries like IT and Engineering, who make a point of knowing which religious groups and businesses to boycott.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Mr. Turnbull, your campaign seems to have the momentum of a runaway freight train. Why are you so popular?

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Yeah IMO the overall vote is second place to how many house of reps seats they are either taking or putting serious pressure on. The more this continues the more validation there is for ending the 2PP reporting model, which in turn impacts their viability because nobody votes for the greens because the greens can't form government because ....

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I'm not even sure how they could spin it unless they use staff quarters and claim they are refugee accommodation ..,. Oh, that's what they're going to do isn't it.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Shorten owned the same sex marriage debate there.

gently caress Joe Hildebrand. They just killed an MP for her beliefs in the UK.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Hurf do primary school kids pay HECS you numpty moderator.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Turnbull is stumbling a lot more than I thought he would.

Is he really shaken up by the polls or is he usually heavily scripted/used to dixers?

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
And whoever gave Shorten his coaching deserves a lot of praise, regardless of political views that's significant growth in his communication.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
*mic drop*

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
poo poo he's still going

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Right now I am picturing that part of the Facebook debate where Joe Hildebrand asked Shorten if he really thought Australians would be so bad during a SSM plebiscite, then video of that guy saying death to traitors freedom for Britain a few times, then a really poor pixelated zoom in on a still shot of Hildebrand at the debate while horns.wav plays.

I cbf making the video.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
They are still child torturers and concentration camp guards and I'm not changing my primary vote from Greens but I am impressed with the Labour campaign and policies and would/will be very happy at them forming government.

Fingers crossed they make it out of this launch without mentioning THE BOATS and ruining the otherwise solid message.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
They mussed up the hair of an investment banker, rubbed some dirt on his cheeks and put him in a safety vest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I guess most journalists earn more than I thought.

My partner was saying this morning that he wished ABC News 24 had less politics in the morning and more general news. I said it's an election so of course that's all they're doing because they don't have to think of anything to say - they can just play clips of what everyone else is saying. "Oh, so it's like Australia's Funniest Home Videos for journalists then"

• Locked thread