Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
didn't get a chance to watch the match how convincing were Italy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

corn in the fridge posted:

Like a decent team in a group of fail tier teams. Congrats on already goign to the knock-out rounds, Italy.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

corn in the fridge posted:

Good tactical play, no real brilliance - solid playing overall.
Belgium was really slow in setting up their plays, everything was in the hands of Hazard or trying to use Lukaku as a pivot, but Italian defence always managed to reposition faster and close spaces.
Also, we cashed on Belgian defence sucking: our counterattack was very effective, but nothing really exceptional.

A team with a good attack will slice us up. Just field at least one good full back and a defensive midfieder who can set up plays and we're toast.
A team with a good defence - we're not going to score against them.

So, better than I expected!

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I have faith in the Juve defence single handedly winning me my work's fantasy football with their brass meatballs.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Gigi Galli posted:

Yes, although that's where he was with Cesena and Juve like 100 years ago or whatever. He never played as a forward until he went to Sunderland.

4/11 of yesterday's team were in Cesena, who in 2011 ended up last (and got relegated, obviously). Candreva, Eder and Parolo stayed the whole year, though Giaccherini got sold to the shits a couple of days after that picture.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Jose posted:

seems italy are the only team who know how to defend

i really like this clip showing how Italy defended: https://twitter.com/TheAnalysisVids/status/742466507549069312

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Just returned home from London and am here to say Forza Azzurri and get hosed Belge

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

what a team

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Charlie Mopps posted:

i really like this clip showing how Italy defended:

This is great

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Marc Wilmots is so loving dumb though, I'm not convinced this will work against a better team (which we won't face for awhile) because hazard and de bruyne were out wide and noted garbage man fellaini was in the middle, all italy had to do was make sure that their defensive shape overloaded on the wings, when the ball went to the middle they would just reload possession and try it again. Looks like David Moyes' United.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

straight up brolic posted:

Marc Wilmots is so loving dumb though, I'm not convinced this will work against a better team (which we won't face for awhile) because hazard and de bruyne were out wide and noted garbage man fellaini was in the middle, all italy had to do was make sure that their defensive shape overloaded on the wings, when the ball went to the middle they would just reload possession and try it again. Looks like David Moyes' United.

It really was a lesson in how to waste every possible advantage you have. I think future performance really depends on how real that defensive tactic was, and of course that isn't going to work against the Germany's of the world, but that would absolutely nullify teams like Spain.

I'm hopeful, I think the result on Friday will tell us a lot. If conte does do one thing well it's make sure that nobody gives up and underestimates the opponent (boia chi molla etc)

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i have always been italian and i believe this is our year lads

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I imagine if you watch most big club games from this angle, you'd find that all of the teams move in the same way. It's nothing special.

What this clip really shows is the Belgian fullbacks' unwillingness to make the overlapping run. What are they even holding back for? Italy's slow as poo poo, just double back if you lose the bal.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Vegetable posted:

What are they even holding back for? Italy's slow as poo poo, just double back if you lose the bal.
they are noted center-backs Laurent Ciman and Jan Vertonghen

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Vegetable posted:

I imagine if you watch most big club games from this angle, you'd find that all of the teams move in the same way. It's nothing special.

What this clip really shows is the Belgian fullbacks' unwillingness to make the overlapping run. What are they even holding back for? Italy's slow as poo poo, just double back if you lose the bal.

Indeed, but clubs have way more time to fine-tune their off-the-ball movements.
That guy made another couple of videos - the first goal and 5 minutes from Germany-Ukraine. It kinda shows how, sometimes, the team doesn't really cover all the spaces while blobbing left and right.

Belgian fullbacks - I completely agree, that's the first thing I noticed. They're free to make the run, and whoever has the ball doesn't look to them or only asks for a triangle. Through passes were rare.

Char fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jun 15, 2016

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

https://twitter.com/SalvioEspo/status/742728157724311553

this is me

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Always been an Eder fan.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

canepazzo posted:

Always been an Eder fan.

lol

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Three of My Best Garbagemen are goal scorers for the national team. Nice.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Conte is doing the big turnover, only Barzagli and Florenzi will still start. Supposed lineup is

Sirigu; Barzagli, Ogbonna, Darmian; De Sciglio, Sturaro, Thiago Motta, Florenzi, El Shaarawy; Immobile, Zaza

Insigne must be feeling pretty bad.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Gigi Galli posted:

They must have a bad personal relationship or something. Maybe Insigne will get a chance under Ventura.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Gigi Galli posted:

Conte is doing the big turnover, only Barzagli and Florenzi will still start. Supposed lineup is

Sirigu; Barzagli, Ogbonna, Darmian; De Sciglio, Sturaro, Thiago Motta, Florenzi, El Shaarawy; Immobile, Zaza

LADRI RUBENTINO TESTA DI CAZZO CONTE, WHAT DID I SAY ABOUT THE NORTHERN CONSPIRACY

/hops on Vespa

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Insigne developed some kinda injury or other during one of the stages, got sent home and miraculously healed up for next sunday match (against Fiorentina, natch, where he scored, double natch). Surprised Conte even called him up tbh.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Albania will be totally unable to deal with Fully Rested Surprise Starter Insigne in the final

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Can't wait to smash those iberian cunts with this garbage rear end squad

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Yes please do, I honestly think Croatia would have been a much tougher match

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Simone Poodoin posted:

Yes please do, I honestly think Croatia would have been a much tougher match

Absolutely, I'm pretty pleased despite the absurdity of the two sides of the tournamen tree

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Would it be Italian to get through their hell bracket to the final and get destroyed by like Poland or Switzerland?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

dex_sda posted:

Would it be Italian to get through their hell bracket to the final and get destroyed by like Poland or Switzerland?

It would've been very Italian if we qualified in third and then beat Germany and France or something.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Gigi Galli posted:

It would've been very Italian if we qualified in third and then beat Germany and France or something.

True.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Conte is starting Bonucci who is on a yellow, meaning if (when) he picks up another he'll be out for the Spain game.

The wig has gained sentience.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gigi Galli posted:

Conte is starting Bonucci who is on a yellow, meaning if (when) he picks up another he'll be out for the Spain game.

The wig has gained sentience.

don't the yellows get annuled from the group to the knockout stages?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mans posted:

don't the yellows get annuled from the group to the knockout stages?

Not until the semis.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Well that was poo poo but Bonucci didn't get carded so I consider that a win.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
[img OHHH NOOO] Italy fucks up the Ottomans yet again in ANOTHER master troll

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Second lepanto p much

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Italy finally making up for the war

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Crossposting but gently caress it

https://twitter.com/hashim0307/status/745723024205287424

Buffon is a cool dude

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why are people saying this is Italy's weakest squad in history when they seem even in theory to be so well organized?

I don't understand, you've had years of clearly uninspired Italian teams who were clearly not caring about world and euro cups, this team has clear hunger for success, i love them.

Plus, Juve's entire defense is there :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Mans posted:

Why are people saying this is Italy's weakest squad in history when they seem even in theory to be so well organized?

I don't understand, you've had years of clearly uninspired Italian teams who were clearly not caring about world and euro cups, this team has clear hunger for success, i love them.

Plus, Juve's entire defense is there :getin:

There are no skill players other than Insigne who can't get a game to save his life. I agree it's a very organized team and I see what Conte is doing now, but there is 0 creativity from this side, and that's what people are talking about when they say it's the weakest squad. I don't think that would be the line if Marchisio and Verratti were available, to be honest.

• Locked thread