Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

The Nastier Nate posted:

Howie didn't king make poo poo, and if he didn't hit the golden buzzer I'm convinced one of the other judges would have. She reminds me of a young Zoey Deschenal and America loves its quirky MPDGs.
As much as I hate to praise singers on AGT, she is very good.

She reminds me of a young Regina Spektor if she grew up idolizing Taylor Swift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
The kid magician act was really bad, imo.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
First of the live semifinals tonight. 11 acts, I think only 5 go through. How many will be sacrificed on the altar of Ms. Twee?

Performances (from the AGT subreddit, with a few comments)

*Sal Valentinetti, Jazz Singer
*Blake Vogt, Magician
*Edgar, Family Band
*Lori Mae Hernandez, Stand-up Comedienne (and current enemy of the Trump redditors it would seem)
*Musicality, Vocal Group
*Deadly Games, Knife Thrower Duo
*Tape Face, Mime (darling of r/AGT)
*Jon Dorenbos, Magician
*Grace VanderWaal, Singer/Ukulelist (/god of carnage)
*Malevo, Malambo Group (pre-recorded apparently)
*Laura Bretan, Opera Singer

Thoughts on acts:

Sal: That was competent. Depending on Grace's performance, he may be sacrificed though. I'd back him though if it comes down to it.

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 31, 2016

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

My roommate hates the Italian kid and thinks he is fake but as an Italian American who used to go downtown to the bakeries with my uncle all the time as a kid while he shot the poo poo with.mobsters while I stuffed my face with coffee and cannolis I find him pretty funny.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I've definitely known a few people a bit like him--I might even have a couple in my family!

Blake: Oh look, a stage illusion. Seemed like enough time to get over to the stage or at least do the switch, but it didn't wow me. Sacrifice on the altar!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It was so obviously a body double like jesus christ

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It was so obviously a body double like jesus christ

Yeah he sucks. And his wife looks exactly like him. I had to rewind it because I thought they were twins.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Edgar: it's not like there's anything wrong with it musically, but it seemed like it took a bit to get started. Also SO INSPIRATIONAL pre roll. Pass.

Also, is there a supercut of all the "this is your night" spiels from the judges?

Lori: the people in this thread are mad at her: https://m.reddit.com/r/agt/comments/50e84t/season_11_semifinals_1_discussion_thread/?sort=new

Could she get a spite vote from me to piss reddit off? Probably not, but better than more singers. Sacrificed.

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 31, 2016

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Yoooo that girl just roasted Nick Cannon holy poo poo.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Musicality: two shots of SO INSPIRATIONAL tonight. Is this pre-roll a no h8 ad?

Born this way? Oh my god this is a no h8 ad

did glee do this song? Sacrifice.

Uncle Deadly: Glad to see no one got an arrow to the neck. I might have to give an edge to the quarterfinal act, but I'd like to see them again. Howie seems like he needs some water for that thirst though.

Tape Face: So so stupid, but I like that type of silly. Piss on Mel and Simon for stealing the limelight though. Please let him win without saying a single word.

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 31, 2016

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Jon Dorenbos: So the addition was useless...and I think he hosed up one of the states. Still, neat concept for a trick, and it was nice to see Simon get taken down a peg...though he seems to be constantly amazed by the magic. Might take him over Blake.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

I think football magician messed up. I can't think of any other reason the Hawaii quarter was in there.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
All shall be consumed by the 12 year old with the ukulele and the songs about being original.

That or the Radiohead guy. FLESH.

Two indie for me man. It doesn't matter what I think though, for I am but a guy phone posting about a 12 year old with more success coming her way than I will ever have. SO INSPIRATIONAL???

And I really should be rooting for her because original music and all, but I can't get past the indie thing and the swing back to singers after years of non-singers. I feel like a liar given how I titled the thread. poo poo.

Malevo: Little Riverdance in the middle there, but I'm liking how this act is shaping up. Put em through!

Laura: So this girl's apparently won Romania ' s Got Talent very recently. And unfortunately, she might steal more spots now. SO INSPIRATIONAL times 4.

Night folks. Cull the singers.

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 31, 2016

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
WTF was Fonzie doing there? Seems like such an awkward plug.

Grace Vanderwaal continues to have this poo poo on lock-down and I don't mind it as much as I do with other singers because all of her songs so far have been originals. That being said, she definitely won't need my votes so I'll be sending mine to Malevo, Tape Face and Deadly Games.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

I like Malevo but I think their act would be so much better if it was their drums I was hearing. Maybe it was my TV but I couldn't discern any of the actual music/sounds they were making. At times it even looked like they weren't even drumming to the music.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Dunkin save is up: Edgar, Laura and Tape Face are on the bubble. The Idolification will come regardless, but save Tape Boy for as long as you can please.

Grace through, fak u Howie. Please let a golden buzzer go home finally.

gently caress. gently caress gently caress gently caress Malevo gone Sal through. No more singers FUCKKKKK

"But there's not THAT many singers u guise, stop freaking out" no this is why you cull the singers, man I'm extrapolating from reddit comments

Eagles? Jon Dorenbos through. gently caress the judges for the singer golden buzzers still.

Tape Face is the Dunkin Save, and passing zone is the wild card, with a promise to involve Simon. Yas. Not going to like this Judge pick regardless. You stack most of the judge singers against each other, and they might all go through. gently caress.

Did all go through. gently caress me. We're all screwed in the finals, and piss on the judges for setting this up.

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 1, 2016

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
So many singers, jesus christ.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Part of me wants to see Tape Face win just to see how he reacts to winning a million dollars (does he break character?) but I'm hoping Viktor Kee wins it all.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

lifts cats over head posted:

Part of me wants to see Tape Face win just to see how he reacts to winning a million dollars (does he break character?) but I'm hoping Viktor Kee wins it all.

If Tape Face breaks character they should immediately take the check back. It won't matter though because no one will stand up to the juggernaut that is Grace Vanderwaal. When Nick called her up against Lori Mae Hernadez and Musiciality, just the applause line alone told everyone on that stage who was going through.

For next week, as long as Sofie Dossi and Brian Justin Crum don't poo poo themselves on stage, they are locks for the finals. Victor Kee and Team Rocket are strong possibilities. Rubix cube, Calysta Beiever and Kadie Lynn will likely get culled.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Hey, apologies for all the poo poo I spew while love blogging these things. I'd at least hope by putting it in one post, it's not going all over the thread. I really don't want singers if you can't tell. We've gone too many seasons without one winning for me to slide back. And the fact that none of the singers the judges chose are out yet baffles me.

The Nastier Nate posted:

If Tape Face breaks character they should immediately take the check back. It won't matter though because no one will stand up to the juggernaut that is Grace Vanderwaal. When Nick called her up against Lori Mae Hernadez and Musiciality, just the applause line alone told everyone on that stage who was going through.

For next week, as long as Sofie Dossi and Brian Justin Crum don't poo poo themselves on stage, they are locks for the finals. Victor Kee and Team Rocket are strong possibilities. Rubix cube, Calysta Beiever and Kadie Lynn will likely get culled.

Sofie and Brian seem like good picks barring any screw ups, but never underestimate a sob story. Not to mention all the so inspirational hype around Calysta, she might still get through regardless of how she does. I'm fearing an all singer top 5 in the finals right now, maybe I should give the show a break next year if it goes that way.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
It's time for more fun/disappointment. How many more singers will we get tonight? How much bitching and pissing will I do in the meantime? Will the passing zone's act with Simon be cathartic in any way? Will any golden buzzer singers please be done with? Will we get more inspirational stories (of course we will)

Or does it even matter, since Grace seems to be destroying all the competition for some reason?

ACTS:

Jayna Brown, Singer
Kadan Bart Rockett, Magician
Kadie Lynn Robertson, Singer/ Guitarist
Viktor Kee, Juggler
Linkin' Bridge, Vocal Group
The Passing Zone, Comedy Juggling Duo
Calysta Bevier, Singer
Steven Brundage, Magician
Sofie Dossi, Contorionist/ Aerialist
The Clairvoyants, Mentalist Duo
Brian Justin Crum, Pop Singer

Jayna: Too busy posting to pay attention, not that it matters anyway. No more signers.

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 7, 2016

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Did they goof that magic trick up? I could see another person in there after the last kid came out.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

Did they goof that magic trick up? I could see another person in there after the last kid came out.

Possibly? It seemed like they were having trouble keeping that house up. Maybe if they were a little taller it would have locked in place.

WHAT ARE YOU POINTING AT????

Kadie: I suppose Idol wouldn't allow younger singers, but what is preventing the younger singers' voices from changing as they get older? Hoping for a cull of this girl, given the response she got.

But did you know that Kadie Lynn took 12 years to age?

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 7, 2016

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

Can we just take as read that Howie will say "America needs to vote!" for some part of his judging every time? He doesn't need to actually repeat it.

(edit: Is this show actually about anything besides "Heartwarming montages"? . . . applies to either This is Us or AGT, I suppose)

A Big Dark Yak fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 7, 2016

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Viktor: Spaceman with balls that light up. The effect of the lit balls rolling through the fog was kind of nice though. Can he make the finale a little more interesting than just juggling though? And did Mel just say someone else other than Grace might win? HERETIC

Also: why is there a Deepwater Horizon movie? Was this an heroic event we needed to know about?

Linkin Bridge incoming, and SO INSPIRATIONAL is also likely. gently caress we're getting at least 3 singers tomorrow aren't we? No more Idol.

Passing Zone: Too much setup for too little reward. Go home.

Calysta: More than anyone, she seems to personify the "story over substance" poo poo that grinds my gears. Almost everything about her has been about how brave she is and how inspiring she is. Some of the other acts have it going on for sure, but it doesn't feel as overt as it is with her. I really should just sit next season out if acts like this continue to get played up over the interesting ones.

Brundage: Would be nice if we could get a close up of the face to verify. Kind of loses the impact.

Sofie: Could go through on that, but the singers will likely devour her.

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Sep 7, 2016

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Results are up. Sofie, Steven and Victor are on the bubble. Not the results I was hoping for. Please don't let singers take the top three spots.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Sofia is gonna win this instant vote over Victor for well... obvious reasons... sucks because Victor (and Sofia to be fair) are basically the most talented people who performed last night.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Well, all the magic acts against each other, and the Clarvoriyants get through. So we get five singers in the finals. poo poo.

Brian through to the finals, and we FINALLY take out a Golden Buzzer.

Linkin Bridge also through. All may die to Grace though.

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Sep 8, 2016

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Just watched it today, I felt like Soffi Dossi's act was missing something without the bow and arrow. Too many singers in the finals, but I kinda like the ones that went through. Either way, I'm sticking by my prediction that real life manic pixie girl Grace Vanderwaal will crush everyone under her ukulele.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Sweet Jesus, it's almost over. I just want one of the non-singers to be in the top 5 and I will be satisfied. We'll likely have to reset the singer counter after this season.

Also: DALE

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Why is Pitbull happening?

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Why is Pitbull happening?

Ten acts tonight, so I guess they have little time to fill. Also because DALE.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
This is so stupid.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Mel B rocking the same haircut as John Travolta in Pulp Fiction.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Low rent Sinatra impersonates are a dime a dozen.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Isn't this kinda sorta what Sofie has done previously? It's neat, but I don't think she can score top 5 like that.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Mel B with that Kenny Powers haircut.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Did Linkin Bridge ' s grandmothers die as well?

Having more singers to back them up feels like cheating to be honest. And those song choices, top 40 everywhere.

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 14, 2016

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Dunkin donuts have given me a dunkaccino. Which I am not sure is a a thing , exactly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Jesus Christ, its either this song or Nosa Doma for opera singers. Every single time.

• Locked thread