Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Mandzukic sucks and I don't know why the English commentators were jerking him off throughout the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Vrsaljko will hopefully replace Srna, yes. It would be good for Srna to rest and for Cacic to try playing with a different RB against an opponent that's not so formidable (Czechia).

Srna being Srna though I can see him getting off the plane half an hour before the game and emotionally proclaiming that he will give 120% for his father, for Croatia, etc.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

sassassin posted:

Mandzukic sucks and I don't know why the English commentators were jerking him off throughout the game.

Because he has done well at pretty much every club he was played for?

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

Doctor Malaver posted:

Vrsaljko will hopefully replace Srna, yes. It would be good for Srna to rest and for Cacic to try playing with a different RB against an opponent that's not so formidable (Czechia).

Srna being Srna though I can see him getting off the plane half an hour before the game and emotionally proclaiming that he will give 120% for his father, for Croatia, etc.

Are you Croatian? I've enjoyed your posts in this thread.

I'd be happy with your team doing well, I enjoyed the game yesterday and would quite like Modric, Rakitic and Kovacic to tear poo poo up. Pity about Lovren though.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

julian assflange posted:

Because he has done well at pretty much every club he was played for?

They were praising his performance in the game, which was bad. Apparently lazily sauntering out wide while Rakitic yelled at him is "great workrate and movement".

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

sassassin posted:

They were praising his performance in the game, which was bad. Apparently lazily sauntering out wide while Rakitic yelled at him is "great workrate and movement".

Oh right. Doing a Berbatov

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
He did produce a great cross that should've resulted in a goal

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Insanely Sikh posted:

Are you Croatian? I've enjoyed your posts in this thread.

I'd be happy with your team doing well, I enjoyed the game yesterday and would quite like Modric, Rakitic and Kovacic to tear poo poo up. Pity about Lovren though.

I am. Thanks! :)

edit: Hey brolic, where are you from? You write 'We' both in this and the Italian thread.

Doctor Malaver fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jun 14, 2016

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Doctor Malaver posted:

I am. Thanks! :)

edit: Hey brolic, where are you from? You write 'We' both in this and the Italian thread.
I am American-Italian, just having a goof as the thread creator

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
cant you just pick one

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Breath Ray posted:

cant you just pick one
the united states is a country of immigrants forums user breath ray

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtDX4v330pI

I'm glad that a year in England didn't take out the Balkans from Bilić.

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard
What are the odds that Mandzukic gets subbed? I don't rate him anymore and even with the crosses we've been putting into the box, he doesn't seem to be getting on the end of them.

He reminds me of a Croatian Giroud

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Filthee Fingas posted:

What are the odds that Mandzukic gets subbed? I don't rate him anymore and even with the crosses we've been putting into the box, he doesn't seem to be getting on the end of them.

He reminds me of a Croatian Giroud
the odds are very high. probably for kramaric.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Massive crush on grunge frontman Rakitic

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
switching my slav card from my birthplace/ethnicity(ukraine/russian) to hrvatska

what a team

edit: lol nm, god drat it, we are all brutes :(

vivisectvnv fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 17, 2016

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

woops wrong thread

Pand fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 17, 2016

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

What a loving disgrace...

After the first 60 minutes or so we were two goals up and Czechs looked completely harmless. Their first attempt at goal was... beginning of second half? I don't think that any other team on this tournament was so dominant in both games so far. For a moment I thought we could be European champions. Then Modric's injury and hooligans.

Now I don't know any more. We'll lose to Spain, that's for sure... and I don't know whether our players will be able to pick up their spirits sufficiently to defeat the big names in knock-out phase.

edit: Can we lose a point because of the hooligans? Like Serbs did in qualifying?

Doctor Malaver fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 17, 2016

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Doctor Malaver posted:

edit: Can we lose a point because of the hooligans? Like Serbs did in qualifying?

idk, but you even lost a point yourselves in qualifying because of nazi poo poo, remember?

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

rear end cobra posted:

idk, but you even lost a point yourselves in qualifying because of nazi poo poo, remember?

Ah, Croatia....your return tickets for za dom.......? Yes, they are spremni.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

The tears on Facebook are delicios. I am such a bad person for enjoying this.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

biglads posted:

lol

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
This means for for

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

rear end cobra posted:

Ah yeah I forgot.

biglads posted:

:pwn: We need a :croatia: smiley that will have crying Joe Simunic.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Is ti true that it wasn't "ultras being dumb" but "ultras being dumb to protest against the FA and their corrupt president"?

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Yes, absolutely. It's more than that though. The infamous Zdravko Mamic is the boss of Dinamo Zagreb, the First Vice President of Croatian FA and the most influential person in Croatian football. He is a corrupt, aggressive, histrionic thug who repelled many attempts of Dinamo's supporters and ultras to remove him from the club.

It's the rival ultras however who probably performed this attack. Under Mamic Croatian football (both the league and the national team) became overly dominated by Dinamo Zagreb, to the detriment of Hajduk Split. Dinamo has like 10 times Hajduk's budget, help of referees when needed, spots in national team to promote players, NT played all the major games in Zagreb although Split has a much nicer field... So Hajduk's ultras metaphorically speaking act like IRA or ETA terrorists -- unable to make a change through legal means they attack the institutions with destruction and terror. Their narrative is that they are sticking it to the man, fighting for their club and city, against corruption, etc.

Of course, it's bullshit. Whatever happens it won't affect Mamic and his cronies. If anything it makes them stronger. It's a lose-lose situation for everyone except other teams in group D.

edit: Based on currently available information, the ultras weren't from Split, at least not predominantly. Some Facebook posts about planning the interruption leaked to the public and they seem to be Dinamo's ultras. In any case, it was carefully planned. There were rumors about the attack days before the game. Croatian police warned French police in advance.

Doctor Malaver fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jun 18, 2016

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Doctor Malaver posted:

Yes, absolutely. It's more than that though. The infamous Zdravko Mamic is the boss of Dinamo Zagreb, the First Vice President of Croatian FA and the most influential person in Croatian football. He is a corrupt, aggressive, histrionic thug who repelled many attempts of Dinamo's supporters and ultras to remove him from the club.

It's the rival ultras however who probably performed this attack. Under Mamic Croatian football (both the league and the national team) became overly dominated by Dinamo Zagreb, to the detriment of Hajduk Split. Dinamo has like 10 times Hajduk's budget, help of referees when needed, spots in national team to promote players, NT played all the major games in Zagreb although Split has a much nicer field... So Hajduk's ultras metaphorically speaking act like IRA or ETA terrorists -- unable to make a change through legal means they attack the institutions with destruction and terror. Their narrative is that they are sticking it to the man, fighting for their club and city, against corruption, etc.

Of course, it's bullshit. Whatever happens it won't affect Mamic and his cronies. If anything it makes them stronger. It's a lose-lose situation for everyone except other teams in group D.

edit: Based on currently available information, the ultras weren't from Split, at least not predominantly. Some Facebook posts about planning the interruption leaked to the public and they seem to be Dinamo's ultras. In any case, it was carefully planned. There were rumors about the attack days before the game. Croatian police warned French police in advance.

Dinamo ultras' posts are obvious jokes, especially the ones about flares being already planted at the stadium and stuff. We won't really know anything until the cops publish their names.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

mcustic posted:

Dinamo ultras' posts are obvious jokes, especially the ones about flares being already planted at the stadium and stuff. We won't really know anything until the cops publish their names.

How else could they have got there given the thorough bag checks and cavity searches? It's a conspiracy designed to remove the best teams from this tournament so France can win.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Doctor Malaver posted:

it had to be Torcida

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Croatia continues the tournament with only a €100.000 fine for the FA. Whew.

The reactions to the hooliganism have been insane for the last couple of days. The running joke is seeing ORJUNA in everything and everyone. You see, the Croatian president (not the president of FA, the President of the Republic of Croatia) accused the hooligans of belonging to an organisation that existed literally a hundred years ago. It was a political/terrorist organization of Yugoslavian nationalists. It wasn't even the recent communist Yugoslavia but the Kingdom of Yugoslavia. Are we now the craziest EU state or is Poland still at the top? I was disgusted by the whole situation and afraid that we'll be kicked out of the tournament so I didn't watch any games or follow the media much.

Not sure what to expect from tomorrow's game. We are definitely advancing to the next stage. If we're third we're probably going against England, if we're second, we're going against Italy. It would probably be better to be third because after England we'd have a team from group F (Hungary? :downs:). After Italy we'd have Germany. Modric is injured and won't start so no chance to defeat Spain and end the first in the group.

Also the hooligans could attack again - in any of our matches. I hope the players stay mentally strong.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
ayyyyyyy

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Perisic has been fully sic all tournament. The hrvatska boys are in a really good position if they can see this out.

I love cats
Feb 8, 2012

Doctor Malaver posted:

Modric is injured and won't start so no chance to defeat Spain and end the first in the group.

I guess you were wrong. Haha!

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

I love cats posted:

I guess you were wrong. Haha!

Yeah! :D

Note that we didn't only lack Modrić... The first eleven included Rog and Jedvaj. They are both 20 and they played three games each for the national team. Pjaca is also not the first choice. It's our B team! Our B team with two Dinamo Zagreb players beat Spain, lol.

I don't know what's going on! Turns out that our wacky and predominantly despised manager might know a thing or two.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Rog and Jedvaj are also very good. Jedvaj is at the very least better than Vida.

How much do all Croatians love Perisic right now?

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

We love Perišić a lot! He's not a surprise, many expected him to be our most dangerous player.

Not sure about Jedvaj, though. Spain's goal is mostly his fault, he left open space for David Silva. But he's young and didn't have much practice with the national team. It's great to have a promising young defender - that's this generation's weak spot.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Bookies are giving only slightly better odds that we will defeat Portugal. I'm surprised - they managed 0 wins in the easiest group of the tournament. Catching up to Hungary for gods sake. I didn't watch them play much though so maybe I missed some dormant strength...

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Doctor Malaver posted:

Bookies are giving only slightly better odds that we will defeat Portugal. I'm surprised - they managed 0 wins in the easiest group of the tournament. Catching up to Hungary for gods sake. I didn't watch them play much though so maybe I missed some dormant strength...

Ronaldo started doing the thing where he drags them in to prominence again. He was very good today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
I bit the bullet today and put 20 quid on Croatia to win the tournament outright. Reckon if they can do Portugal this evening it's p much a clear run through to the final for them

• Locked thread