Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will you be voting in the UKEU Referendum?
This poll is closed.
Remain - Keep Britane Strong! 328 15.40%
Leave - Take Are Sovreignity Back! 115 5.40%
Remain - But only because Brexit are crazy 506 23.76%
Leave - But only because the EU is terrible 157 7.37%
Spoiled Ballot - This whole thing is an awful idea 61 2.86%
I'm not going to vote 19 0.89%
I'm not allowed to vote 411 19.30%
Pissflaps 533 25.02%
Total: 2130 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

LemonDrizzle posted:

No it doesn't, the British pronunciations are "mee-thane" and "mee-thyl". "Meth-il" with a short 'e' is an American thing.
I've not heard anybody, chemist or not, say mee-than-ol or mee-than-oic acid, and if I did I'd assume it came out of some spoken word archive on moonshining in the back hills of Kentucky, not British English.

I've heard mee-thyl from southerners where it is specifically methyl, but that seems to be dying along with pronouncing ethyl as ee-thyl instead of like ethanol.

JFairfax posted:

I'm sorry you're an apologist for an organisation which so far probably has the all time world record for number of children abused by it's members.
JFairfax confirmed to not stand for are national anthem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Tesseraction posted:

Did we manage to go through May without anyone cool and good dying?

I'm dying inside

but I'm not cool or good

mrpwase fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jun 1, 2016

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

gently caress, Caaaatoooooooo

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

nobodyssweetheart posted:

We're not all bad. We gave the world Blues music and ice cream cones.

Real roots blues came out of Africa. Just because you bought it doesn't mean you made it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jedit posted:

Real roots blues came out of Africa. Just because you bought it doesn't mean you made it.

I bought this car that means I made this car. I'm a mechanic now.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jedit posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcvd5JZkUXY

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tesseraction posted:

Did we manage to go through May without anyone cool and good dying?

Carla Lane.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

I've not heard anybody, chemist or not, say mee-than-ol or mee-than-oic acid, and if I did I'd assume it came out of some spoken word archive on moonshining in the back hills of Kentucky, not British English.

I've heard mee-thyl from southerners where it is specifically methyl, but that seems to be dying along with pronouncing ethyl as ee-thyl instead of like ethanol.

JFairfax confirmed to not stand for are national anthem.

As someone current studying chemistry, I can say we all pronounce methyl/methane using the mee-th sound, and methanoic acid as meth-an-oic. Yes, it's not consistent, but this is the English language we're talking about here.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jedit posted:

Carla Lane.

Don't recognise her but alas, that's at least two for May then.

Do you think this'll be the year we lose Brenda?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

JFairfax posted:

I'm sorry you're an apologist for an organisation which so far probably has the all time world record for number of children abused by it's members.
brb, going to post this epic burn on /r/atheism.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

nothing to seehere posted:

As someone current studying chemistry, I can say we all pronounce methyl/methane using the mee-th sound, and methanoic acid as meth-an-oic. Yes, it's not consistent, but this is the English language we're talking about here.
I'll mark this as a plus for Remain. We can import two-thirds of our chemistry teachers from Germany, where they've had an actual consistent system of pronouncing chemical nomenclature since the 19th century. Except Bavaria.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

nothing to seehere posted:

Do you still all belligerently say tit-anium instead of tie-tanium?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Guavanaut posted:

I'll mark this as a plus for Remain. We can import two-thirds of our chemistry teachers from Germany, where they've had an actual consistent system of pronouncing chemical nomenclature since the 19th century. Except Bavaria.

there is a reason english and not german became the main science language

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

there is a reason english and not german became the main science language
Yes, two world wars and one world cup and all that. During the chemical revolution and the birth of quantenmechanik German was the international language of science though.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Guavanaut posted:

Yes, two world wars and one world cup and all that. During the chemical revolution and the birth of quantenmechanik German was the international language of science though.

To the extent that, in certain fields, England was considered a bit of a backwater; John Littlewood's PhD produced a result that was already well known on the continent for example.

On the flip side, the UK was the centre of some important movements. Vector calculus is almost all Englishmen behind it because it was used for problems in electromagnetism, telegraphy and the like (which the UK were the world leaders in) - whereas on the continent they tried to solve the same problem with complex numbers or quarternions, which is why everything is named after Cauchy, Riemenn and other continental mathematicians.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

In ACAB news: Inquest into the Birmingham Pub Bombings to be re-opened after it's come to light that the police were warned about the attacks but failed to act.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

MrL_JaKiri posted:

To the extent that, in certain fields, England was considered a bit of a backwater; John Littlewood's PhD produced a result that was already well known on the continent for example.

On the flip side, the UK was the centre of some important movements. Vector calculus is almost all Englishmen behind it because it was used for problems in electromagnetism, telegraphy and the like (which the UK were the world leaders in) - whereas on the continent they tried to solve the same problem with complex numbers or quarternions, which is why everything is named after Cauchy, Riemenn and other continental mathematicians.
I was thinking mostly of the org. chem sphere, because that's where we started talking, and German language publications were definitely world leaders there during the second chemical revolution/pharmaceutical revolution/whatever we're calling it now.

Journals were a mix of English, French, and German, and I won't deny that there were important contributions from the French and British chemists of the time, but if you'd asked any of them what language their descendants would be publishing in for the academic sphere by the year 2000, all but the most jingoistic would have probably guessed German. Then WWI happened and there was an organized boycott of Central Powers publications by most of the rest of the academic world, which understandably set German back quite a bit in chemistry and the new sciences like quantum physics.

I would say that it's a bit unfair, because the war was the fault of monarchs and governments and alliances and imperialism, not the fault of academics, but there were certain events in the Great War that can be tied heavily to chemists on both sides, so maybe that was the source of some of the anger.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Guavanaut posted:

Yes, there are exceptions like methanol but in general if you asked a British chemist to say the name of some methylated compound or complex such as methyl magnesium bromide, methyllithium, 5-methylcytosine, or whatever, they'd use the "mee-thyl" pronunciation.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I don't know how anybody manages to pick this stuff up. I did, and I have no idea how.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
In other chemistry news, a some drug traffickers in Norn Iron hid a stash of meth (meeth?) in one of those kinder egg capsules and a child accidentally found it.

This is now gone social media wild as "child finds meth in kinder egg" with all the implications of that. Ferrero libel ahead?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

In other news, the OECD has lowered its growth forecasts for the year, from 2.1% in February to 1.7% now. Our balance of trade deficit is rising further.

Cameron is saying that Brexit is shite for our economy:

https://twitter.com/David_Cameron/status/737929209088249856

Despite the OECD saying the referendum itself is doing enough damage as-is.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Guavanaut posted:

but there were certain events in the Great War that can be tied heavily to chemists on both sides

The last couple plus years, for example, wouldn't have happened without the Haber process

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Haber got severely punished later on though. Mostly for being a Jew rather than for the whole explosives and war gases thing though. :(

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Would you say he was not correctly applied djew process? :v:

Also:

strong economy / getting on

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Tesseraction posted:

Would you say he was not correctly applied djew process? :v:

Also:

strong economy / getting on

Quick, someone alert the media that they're missing out on a hot new hashtag: Brexiety

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
For all that the Tories bang on about instilling confidence in private investors, they sure are poo poo at it.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Trump is visiting the UK on 24 June.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Party Boat posted:

On the same day as the referendum result is announced.

This is it, isn't it. This is where Revelations starts.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Party Boat posted:

Yep.

As I waited for my counter-revolutionary midday commodity to be prepared I leafed through today's Daily Mail which was conveniently placed to offend me, and it is basically spewing jizz at the idea of Boris's pledge to bring in the Australian-style points system for immigration.

Further in it talks about Elliott Johnson (AKA the activist bullied to death) and pours scorn on Clarke (the accused) while taking a hilarious tangent to imply that he's been cheating on his NHS nurse wife with a Tory activist, with no relation to the case other than "she was in the court room" which would make sense as she was involved in the campaign and knew the deceased.

And a little further in it reaches an interesting bit about the election expenses, interesting in that it actually brings it up despite this being bad for the Tories, but also because it refers to the Tory chairman as "Lord Crony" :laffo:

Speaking of those expenses, Michael White has done another good piece about it. The highlight, AKA "why isn't this front page news?" is measured, specifically talking about how the other papers are letting C4 and the Mirror do the heavy lifting so that they don't accidentally step on each others feet with the investigations, nor bias the police investigation. The Mail, he points out, is happy to dig at Cameron because they hate his wing of the party.

But the most interesting thing is what has been alleged: that the Tories used Push Polling in the General Election. A horrifically dirty trick.

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007
Jeremy Corbyn: The Outsider is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94ptAcbfKP0

What do people think?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Heisenberg1276 posted:

Jeremy Corbyn: The Outsider is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94ptAcbfKP0

What do people think?

You're a people - what do you think?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Tesseraction posted:

As I waited for my counter-revolutionary midday commodity to be prepared I leafed through today's Daily Mail which was conveniently placed to offend me, and it is basically spewing jizz at the idea of Boris's pledge to bring in the Australian-style points system for immigration.

Ah yes, the system that has literal offshore detention camps like something from 2000AD.

The closer we get, the more I've accepted we're going to vote to leave the EU because the British electorate are just that hateful.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Apparently someone is leaking Corbyn's PMQs to Cameron before he answers them. So Cameron's complete non-answers and unrelated personal attacks are with time to prepare for them.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Ah yes, the system that has literal offshore detention camps like something from 2000AD.

The closer we get, the more I've accepted we're going to vote to leave the EU because the British electorate are just that hateful.
The camps bit is terrible, but Britain would have those anyway if there were any offshore territories that weren't more profitable as tax havens or feudal fiefdoms. Instead there's just a bit less horrible onshore detention camps.

The points bit is interesting, because it could mean an end to national quotas or European preferential treatment, wherever in the world you're from, whether you're Black or White, Buddhist or Muslim, whatever, you will (theoretically) be admitted based on your merits. This comes with all the problems of meritocracy, but is arguably better than doing it based on nationality/Europeaness.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Baron Corbyn posted:

Apparently someone is leaking Corbyn's PMQs to Cameron before he answers them. So Cameron's complete non-answers and unrelated personal attacks are with time to prepare for them.

Jesus loving Christ.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Baron Corbyn posted:

That's seriously pitiful. But then I am talking about a man who would gently caress a dead pig's mouth for the approval of his peers.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Baron Corbyn posted:

I did wonder how he ever managed to come up with such a devastating zinger as "your mum" off the cuff.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Guavanaut posted:

The camps bit is terrible, but Britain would have those anyway if there were any offshore territories that weren't more profitable as tax havens or feudal fiefdoms. Instead there's just a bit less horrible onshore detention camps.

The points bit is interesting, because it could mean an end to national quotas or European preferential treatment, wherever in the world you're from, whether you're Black or White, Buddhist or Muslim, whatever, you will (theoretically) be admitted based on your merits. This comes with all the problems of meritocracy, but is arguably better than doing it based on nationality/Europeaness.

Being white +10 points.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Being white +10 points.

Being Eastern European -30 points

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
i wonder what happens if the result of the referendum is a very close vote for leave, eg 51 v 49. will cameron attempt to engineer remaining (we will go back to the negotiating table for a better deal)? it would certainly be the end of him but it's not a clear mandate to go. and similarly if it was the reverse then you can probably guarantee another referendum in the near future (and the total implosion of the tories)

• Locked thread