Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
That sitout razors edge was pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Roman is a perfectly serviceable big-but-not-that-big-man who would have been mired in the upper midcard/Kane "The champ needs an opponent for this C-PPV" level in the last few eras and can play his role in creating a 4* match against 5* talent but has been massively overpushed and overprotected because Vince and the other parts of the inner circle hitched their wagon to the next homegrown "The Guy Until He's Broken Down Or 40" creation and there's not much to lose if they're wrong since WWE is now a toy licensing company first, a film studio second and a wrestling company third.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I think the biggest problem with Roman in general is just that he's not suited for how hard they're pushing him, but I think the biggest problem with Roman now is they've inextricably linked him to the controversy surrounding how he got here. For almost the entirety of his ascent to the title they were simply ignoring the fan rejection and pretending he was a beloved underdog and everything was going great, and that was stupid and tone-deaf but consistent to both his character and story arc, right up to Stephanie going full-on Dark Empress and making Roman out to be the people's champion. Silly and objectively stupid, but consistent.

For some reason, once they finished the Wrestlemania push they decided it was time to give some sort of concession to reality, and Roman became the smirking too-cool-for-it-all not-a-good-guy they acknowledge a lot of the crowd dislikes who sort of openly bullies people, except he's also the champion everyone should love and the people opposing him are weasels and heels so you should like him, and they then proceeded to book him against maybe the guy the people who dislike Roman most want to see succeed in AJ and are now following that up with Seth, who that same crowd also specifically wants to cheer.

Even if I was never on the Roman train, they were making a consistent case for him and by just ignoring the whole thing there was at least a chance he could establish his own identity. Now they've made a huge part of his identity specifically about a ton of people disliking him.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I'd like him more if WWE would stop muting the crowd mics and the commentary team acknowledged that he is getting booed out of the building rather than the crowd being 50/50 and wacky and nonsensical in [CITY NAME] Maggle

Evilosity
Apr 20, 2007

It's like velocity, except evil. Seriously.
As my weird Newfie Dad would say, he is hard, good and kind.
Hard on grub, good for nothing, and kind of foolish. Words of wisdom.

Rogue Copter Pilot
Apr 12, 2005

a dead whale or a stove boat

with john cena the meme was "i hate john cena the character, not john cena the person." with roman, every interview i've read he comes across as entitled, wondering why he's not popular, telling people who don't appreciate him that they don't know what they're talking about.

i don't like the character or the person.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Ostentatious posted:

Asking for a friend, is Roman Reigns good or bad?

Please don't troll, this is a serious question for serious people

No, he is the.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Roman doesn't have the skill set to go above being the top of the midcard and yet here we are

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Roman has been and always will be that other guy in the Shield I didn't care about.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I agree word for word with forums poster JOHN CENA.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

good wrestler, good character when they let him have a mean streak, is the whiny and entitled "millenial" vince claims to hate in real interviews, terrible john cena, an even worse rock

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmPKjrh7kN0

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Eh.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Roman Reigns is the living embodiment of WWE not listening to its fans and this will always taint him. Doesn't matter how good or bad he is. That's why when he does something bad they tell him he sucks and when he does something good they tell him he still sucks.

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

He's a wrestler that is good at the main event WWE style and plays his part very well when he's put with. He's by no means a bad wrestler and I generally expect his matches to be good.

Unfortunately everything else about him just loses it for me. He's a poor talker when he's doing anything other than grinding out a few catchphrases laden lines then standing there looking half asleep. He's booked against people that outmatch him in most qualities and while this generally results in good matches it also leads to short sighted situations like returning Rollins as a heel to be his sacrificial lamb. Almost every crowd boos the poo poo out of him or is totally indifferent to him. I don't think the situation is going to get any better either, its been bungled way too many times.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
He's a trash fire

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

some say he's the new diesel but he's really the new randy orton

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

some say he's the new diesel but he's really the new randy orton

i want Roman to shatter his wrist when he cocks his arm too

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
He's the best heel on the roster by far.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

I like roman he can be cool sometimes,

edit: The shield was cool

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I love when people say he is whiny or entitled when every other top babyface in history has thrown bigger hissy fits if the fans rejected them.

There is one exception, John Cena.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Brock Lesnar posted:

i want Roman to shatter his wrist when he cocks his arm too
rude

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

I love when people say he is whiny or entitled when every other top babyface in history has thrown bigger hissy fits if the fans rejected them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i28UEoLXVFQ

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Ever since Sons of Anarchy ended, Roman is the worst actor in a lead role on tv

cams
Mar 28, 2003

the exact second the shield broke up, i stopped finding roman reigns interesting and have not felt anything like that since

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

i heard someone once say the Roman Reigns is lazy, is this true?

is he a lazy larry?

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

Ostentatious posted:

i heard someone once say the Roman Reigns is lazy, is this true?

is he a lazy larry?

he's a relaxasaurus roman

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

roman should drive a segway to the ring

edit: and away from the ring. the match should end and he should immediately get on the segway

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
a regular tv show with a protagonist as disliked as roman reigns would last about three episodes

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Good point. Wat.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Seams posted:

a regular tv show with a protagonist as disliked as roman reigns would last about three episodes

orange is the new black keeps on ticking.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

pressedbunny posted:

He is the 7 booked like a 10 so everyone thinks he's a 5. Or 4, I suppose.

Yup.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

my other response to this is that very few top babyfaces got as consistant of a rejection so early into their tenure

There, again, is one exception. John Cena.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Roman Reigns is good, but the way he's booked is the way I would like to see Cesaro get booked instead. I'm going to resent Roman for this until I get what I want.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Roman Reigns is The Ultimate Warrior.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

Who do you like better John Cena or Roman Reigns?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

RacistGuidingLight posted:

Every other wrestler has the deepest pools thing going against him. He talks mostly fine minus a few trash fires about magic beans and that period last year where he'd change up his motivations weekly and ya, his catch phrase is kinda grating. "The Look" isn't a tangible quality but it ain't bullshit neither. He looks like a leading man from his thousand yard stare to his cleft chin to his narrow jaw and soft, pouty lips. Arbitrary? Learned? Whatever. People react to it. Often with resentment.

I don't understand this point. What I'm saying is that on the current roster I could probably name like 15 guys who are better at wrestling than Roman is and it's bullshit that a man like him is on top given the depth of the talent pool. And Jesus Christ if you think Roman is fine at talking then your perception of reality is so different to my own that I'm not convinced we live on the same planet.

The look is horseshit because a troll with a hugeass beard was the most popular face in recent memory. It's an antiquated conception of what sells to a modern market that should have died long ago.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
He does not make me want to watch wrestling.

He makes me want to not watch wrestling.

He is a bad wrestler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I have no desire to watch Reigns and he's actively caused non-wrestling friends to not want to watch. He does not have the charisma for this position.

• Locked thread