Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Roman Reigns is a good wrestler who is horribly miscast

Let's see:

His look is good, but he looks like a dick. He should be a heel. It's like making Diesel a face and how it ruined him. And Roman Reigns isn't nearly as likable as 'Big Sexy'

His personality is basically being a petulant dick who doesn't care about people. (Except his uces of course) This would be great as a heel. The whole 'gently caress you I'm too cool for this but then I'm also a badass who wins anyway' makes people hate him as a face, imagine how it would work as a heel.

He's a perfectly good wrestler, but he doesn't fit as a face at all. No one wants to see Roman Reigns sell all match. Even his best face matches have been when it's AJ Styles or someone bumping around for him and letting him be the guy getting the heat. The WWE formula is for a face to sell all match and then make a big comeback, this does not suit Roman Reigns (or with all apologizes to Ricky Steamboat, most modern fans)

He is also overshadowed by too many people. Making him the new John Cena is mind bogglingly dumb when the real John Cena is still around being better at it than him. People like the rest of the Shield more than him.

His ring attire sucks. His theme sucks. His promos suck.

Just let him be the smirking badass heel and he'd probably end up getting over huge as a face. But his current character is garbage and he's going to keep getting booed forever even if he becomes a cross between Michaels and Misawa in the ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Yeah the only good parts of that match were Big Show selling his balls and the convoluted finishing sequence

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I don't think it's fair to compare Reigns vs AJ to AJ's matches in Japan, because NJPW has horrible booking (especially in match) and also almost every match is the same and can only be saved by the individual efforts of the workers in question. I realize that seems like a crazy critique compared to WWE and also I do love NJPW, but god drat look it's another match where the heels are interfering freely right in front of the referee and he doesn't give a poo poo oh look how evil the bullet club are they have a ladder and the referee doesn't care oh no AJ Styles has won how dastardly *repeat for 50 years*

oh wow both men dove back in the ring at a count of 19!!! and there's cody hall lurking

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

ThePariah posted:

Yeah those Roman vs AJ matches had zero interference and weren't overbooked at all.

There's a difference between interference and overbooking in the main events and NJPW having seemingly every match involving a heel have constant interference and weapon usage directly in front of the referee.

It's like attitude era WWE except in a promotion with work rate. It's loving weird

And the overbooking definitely took the first AJ/Roman match down a notch and there's no way it was better than his Japan stuff anyway

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
If Roman got super fat and started using splashes and hip attacks he'd become awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Erick Rowan is definitely worse than Roman Reigns

• Locked thread