Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

kane's better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I think the biggest problem with Roman in general is just that he's not suited for how hard they're pushing him, but I think the biggest problem with Roman now is they've inextricably linked him to the controversy surrounding how he got here. For almost the entirety of his ascent to the title they were simply ignoring the fan rejection and pretending he was a beloved underdog and everything was going great, and that was stupid and tone-deaf but consistent to both his character and story arc, right up to Stephanie going full-on Dark Empress and making Roman out to be the people's champion. Silly and objectively stupid, but consistent.

For some reason, once they finished the Wrestlemania push they decided it was time to give some sort of concession to reality, and Roman became the smirking too-cool-for-it-all not-a-good-guy they acknowledge a lot of the crowd dislikes who sort of openly bullies people, except he's also the champion everyone should love and the people opposing him are weasels and heels so you should like him, and they then proceeded to book him against maybe the guy the people who dislike Roman most want to see succeed in AJ and are now following that up with Seth, who that same crowd also specifically wants to cheer.

Even if I was never on the Roman train, they were making a consistent case for him and by just ignoring the whole thing there was at least a chance he could establish his own identity. Now they've made a huge part of his identity specifically about a ton of people disliking him.

• Locked thread