Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

silicon valley was right

tabs are better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Reopened this Bitch.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

tabs are good.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
all man style.
hard tabs only.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
    

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

do space indenters really just mash away on the space bar

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Shaggar posted:

all man style.
hard tabs only.

This.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

how do you know if your code will look the same on other computers when you are using tabs?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
who cares? anyone who isn't an idiot will have the same tab stop as you and anyone with a custom tab stop will see what they want to see.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Bloody posted:

I guarantee you there are people out there that mash on the space bar and also don't use any kind of auto indent

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Shaggar posted:

all man style.
hard tabs only.

yep.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

I guarantee you there are people out there that mash on the space bar and also don't use any kind of auto indent

i wish them a speedy recovery from their head injury

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Silver Alicorn posted:

the other day i saw a guy with notepad++ installed on his computer. hosed up

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lampey posted:

how do you know if your code will look the same on other computers when you are using tabs?

that's like the whole point. let em see it how they want, i dont need to dictate their style choices. they can render it in whatever font they want too

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

tabs motherfucker

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Bloody posted:

this

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Bloody posted:

that's like the whole point. let em see it how they want, i dont need to dictate their style choices. they can render it in whatever font they want too

do you never do this
code:
int gently caress(char a,
         int butt)
{
oh but you do embedded so it's all global and you never run past 80 lines and have to do poo poo like that

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

use a mixture of both in each file to punish those who prefer different from yourself

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
most programmers don't understand how ASCII tab stops work and should not be allowed to use them

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

GameCube posted:

do you never do this
code:

int butt)
{
oh but you do embedded so it's all global and you never run past 80 lines and have to do poo poo like that

resharper reformats everything I see to match its style rules so it doesn't matter

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

does a tab count as more than 1 character against the line limit? does your choice of tabs or spaces affect the your line width?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it counts as however many characters the tab stop is set to

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

programmer whose tab key inserts four spaces

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
there is literally no reason to ever use spaces except to be an rear end in a top hat

barcoded
Jan 4, 2007

there is a huge difference between the two in python lol best programming language

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

meaningful whitespace is the work of satan

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
like seriously i have better things to do than explain to every junior scout who comes on board why their tab-filled comment box looks like trash in everyone else's editor. nobody misunderstands spaces

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
spaces forever who knows what garbage software future readers will be subjected to and you can't expect mouthbreathers to set their own tab stops properly

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Tabs to indent, spaces to align.

By which I mean only ever use tabs, because loving around vertically aligning things is piss garbage for autistic children.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

Shaggar posted:

all man style.
hard tabs only.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

GameCube posted:

the other day i saw a guy with notepad++ installed on his computer. hosed up

jesus

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

GameCube posted:

do you never do this
code:
         int butt)
{

code:
int gently caress(
	char a,
	int butt
) {

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
i clear all whitespace out of my code and don't comment any of it

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What kind of fucker moron changes the display settings for tabs. Why would you make it display as anything other than 3-4 spaces instead of one. that's the whole point of a tab. You're not smarter than my formatting bitch.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
i used to think spaces were the way to go, but now i live in a world where people use two spaces for indentation, and i would gladly switch to tabs just so i can actually see when things are at different levels

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I turn on whitespace symbols in whatever dumb editor I'm using that day so that I can bear witness to everyone's past sins.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

old jobs coding standard was either 4 or 5 spaces

we also did 100% of our development (> 1mil lines) in Microsoft visual c++ 6.0. this was in 2010

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Jabor posted:

Tabs to indent, spaces to align.

By which I mean only ever use tabs, because loving around vertically aligning things is piss garbage for autistic children.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

GenericOverusedName posted:

I turn on whitespace symbols in whatever dumb editor I'm using that day so that I can bear witness to everyone's past sins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
having a character for tab is a super dumb idea and you're bad if you use it

• Locked thread