Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
I haven't, but I wonder what it's like. Anybody been??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I went to one, I gotta say it was pretty B-yacht-chin'

Aug 4, 2010

yea i have theres lots of boats

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Yes. I used to do total loss valuations so I got to go for business. It was interesting, there were babes, boats, and sometimes babes NEAR the boats

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

i think it would be cool to build a boat from logs and sail the seven seas, living off of turtle blood and my own piss

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Yossarian posted:

Yes. I used to do total loss valuations so I got to go for business. It was interesting, there were babes, boats, and sometimes babes NEAR the boats

Oh my! Got any pictures to share??

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
No :( we can't have pictures of bikini babes, I won't be tricked u wiley manticore....

Illavick
Sep 15, 2012

WHENA MINA RENA VATIVE
is that like some sort of sex thing? Because if so then I clearly have not.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
I've been to a few boat races, in college I dated a woman whose entire extended family were big players in the modified outboard scene.

these guys

they haul rear end

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I've been to some boat shows.

I recommend you wear shoes you don't mind taking off 300 times.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Doctor Butts posted:

I've been to some boat shows.

I recommend you wear shoes you don't mind taking off 300 times.

Why no shoes?

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

my grandfather just posts and all i got was this lousy joke, so what
yes, theres one at the javits center every year

i went once and it was boring as poo poo.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
pssst. hey kid. u wanna buy a boat

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
dis poo poo will blow your loving mind kid

*opens jacket revealing boston whaler*

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Bip Roberts posted:

pssst. hey kid. u wanna buy a boat

Yeah! I wanna sail!

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

boat races are like NASCAR in that you go for the crashes except when race boats crash they completely disintegrate like some sort of Star Wars A New Hope x-wing explosion

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
Many. I own 3 boats, one has 3 bedrooms, ama

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Bishop posted:

Many. I own 3 boats, one has 3 bedrooms, ama

what's your favorite scene from captain ron?

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
I'll get the ball rolling. The ft Lauderdale or Miami boat shows are the two I go to annually. You can tour yachts (my next boat will be a Lazarra in the 60ft range), but they have everything down to zodiacs. There's also all kinds of booths where they show off electronics: radar, chart plotters, radios, etc.

You can drop some coin at a boat show

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

A boat show is like a gunshow but with a lot less hunks

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

and a lot more boats

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

Bip Roberts posted:

what's your favorite scene from captain ron?
ive actually never seen it which is criminal considering how often I boat in the Bahamas

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Digital Fingers posted:

and a lot more boats

a lot more stocky dudes in pastel polos and loafers with no socks too, i reckon

and sunglasses worn on the back of their head

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
Boat shows are cool and chill and most people go just to window shop and see what the newest toys are. It's like an anime convention (maybe)

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Justin Tyme posted:

boat races are like NASCAR in that you go for the crashes except when race boats crash they completely disintegrate like some sort of Star Wars A New Hope x-wing explosion

hell yea they do and the pilots just skip across the water like a smack upside the head

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER

Bishop posted:

Boat shows are cool and chill and most people go just to window shop and see what the newest toys are. It's like an anime convention (maybe)

Are they less full of mouthbreathing idiots than most car shows?

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Toadvine posted:

hell yea they do and the pilots just skip across the water like a smack upside the head

lol sick

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

Smashurbanipal posted:

Are they less full of mouthbreathing idiots than most car shows?
id say so. There's people that obviously can't dream of affording what they're looking at but they are just enjoying touring a 10 million dollar yacht and nobody cares. There's a poo poo ton of 1%ers around too. The rednecks tend to gravitate towards the insane speed boats

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxKOON5rXYo&t=172s

its hard to find good modified outboards crash footage on youtube but this is a good video of how fast they go out of the turns

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist
I have been on boats plenty of times. I got sick once though when it was crazy choppy. The next time that I went out, I took dramamine and drank beers at 8am. You should do this before a boat show. You will be relaxed and not sea sick at the convention center.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I met a business model at one.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bishop posted:

Wanna see that Captain Abraham cosplay now. At least the stench of fish at a boat show is more pleasant than an anime convention.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Why go to a boat show when marinas are usually open to the public.

cub
Sep 6, 2014

by Shine

notZaar posted:

Why go to a boat show when marinas are usually open to the public.

sometimes i go to the marina at the reservoir and sit and watch the boats come in after a long day. i try to imagine all the places they have been and the things the have seen. where did they go? to the spillway? over by the submerged farm silo? watersking? what did they see? another boat? a floating log? i sit and i huff canned air and imagine it was me in the boat and that everyone else in the world was dead.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
boat shows are neat so are rv shows and other shows like that

i mean you are not going to have the time of your life but trade shows and similar type shows can be cool to see what is going on in some industries and broaden your horizons or just see some neat and cool stuff even if you arent in the market for it

also a lot of the poeple there are super pumped about the subject matter and will happily talk to you just dont lead them on or make them think you are a potential sale if your just there for s&g (shits and gigles)

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I have never been to the actual show, but have gotten loaded with the post-show crowd in Annapolis before. Dudes who wear a captains outfit to a bar loving love buying rounds of drinks.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I got dragged to them all the time when I was younger. Was at the Kingdome and they were actually pretty sweet when I think about it. Some badass boats out there if you have money (which I don't).

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
hands across the water hands across the sky

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Toadvine posted:

I've been to a few boat races, in college I dated a woman whose entire extended family were big players in the modified outboard scene.

these guys

they haul rear end

when designing a boat i like the one that is guaranteed to eventually spin into the air like a paper airplane thrown too hard as my blood slides across the water without sinking at speeds of 200 mph

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
Is pirate cosplay a big thing at boat shows?

• Locked thread