Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Democrats are going to win back the Senate, it's almost inevitable. They might lose it in 2018 but they will win it this year.
Yeah, I think the Dems still have a decent shot at the Senate, but I really don't think they're going to make major gains in the House, and that's enough to prevent Hillary from doing almost anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
I don't know why you guys are still freaking out about Trump though. Kasich is clearly priming himself for a comeback.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I don't know, I can see a scenario where Dems get major legislative gains. Keep in mind this is all pure speculation on my part and not backed up with any facts.

Hillary's polling improves once the Dem primary ends, and despite a few Bernie holdouts, the party unites. Her polling gets even better as we approach November, while Trump's polling dips lower as he does *insert various Trump antics here*.

We head into the election with Clinton polling something like 55/45 over Trump. People love to vote for a winner, so Dem turnout is high, but R turnout suffers due to not bothering to vote since it's obvious Trump will lose anyway. Also if the Supreme Court seat is still open (and I figure it will be), that drives even more D turnout. Dems get many legislative wins, many of which will be undone in 2018 because they never loving turnout for midterms.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Inferior Third Season posted:

Yeah, I think the Dems still have a decent shot at the Senate, but I really don't think they're going to make major gains in the House, and that's enough to prevent Hillary from doing almost anything.

A lot of it is going to depend on how well the Tea Party feels chastened by this election, and if GOPe elements in Congress decide to push back against the Freedom Caucus.

Also, I still think that the Tea Party loses a lot of steam after Obama leaves office, I don't think that a woman can spark the same feelings of fear and resentment in white men that a black man does, even if that woman is HRC.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I am looking forward to the continued antics of candidate Trump. I don't have many republican friends, but I'm enjoying Trump break their brains.

gently caress me daddy. gently caress me daddy, indeed.

The best part is the continuing meltdown of David Brooks. I've been hate reading him since forever and I'm really enjoying his crisis of confidence.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

RZA Encryption posted:

Is there a map where Hillary hits 270 before the west coast polls close?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

RZA Encryption posted:

Is there a map where Hillary hits 270 before the west coast polls close?

In other words, where Hillary wins with at least 354 EVs? It looks like that probably has about a 20% chance of happening per Wang, but I don't know what that map would look like. A little toying around with 270 to Win suggests she has to run the gamut with swing states and also flip one "non-swing" state like Missouri or Georgia or Arizona.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Bel_Canto posted:

Yes, please focus on trying to win Minnesota, California, and New York. Please pour Republican money into winning those states because that's not at all a complete waste of cash, no sir.

Not only those, but Michigan too. I'm sure lots of people are willing to vote Republican after children were literally poisoned because of poor infrastructure upkeep.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Riosan posted:

Not only those, but Michigan too. I'm sure lots of people are willing to vote Republican after children were literally poisoned because of poor infrastructure upkeep.

I imagine so. Any number of them will probably fall for attempts to pin the whole thing on Obama's EPA.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

SedanChair posted:

I imagine so. Any number of them will probably fall for attempts to pin the whole thing on Obama's EPA.

Not nearly enough. Combine that with Republicans openly saying that they would have let Detroit die.

And according to that map Trump isnt going to put resources into North Carolina lol.

So he's abandoning Arizona, North Carolina, Nevada, New Mexico, Colorado, New Hampshire to focus on New York and California. Well he's got this one in the bag!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

SedanChair posted:

Yo, straight up heard this from a Michiganer.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

DaveWoo posted:

Yes, but wait until you see Trump's brilliant electoral strategy:

https://twitter.com/foxnews/status/736976526319587330

This looks like redherring to me. And not even 15 states. He's pullin' an old Sun Tzu here.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Not nearly enough. Combine that with Republicans openly saying that they would have let Detroit die.

Trump voters read that? Read anything?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

SedanChair posted:

Trump voters read that? Read anything?

If it wasn't on Stormfront Free Republic Fox, Drudge or Breitbart...

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

petit choux posted:

This looks like redherring to me. And not even 15 states. He's pullin' an old Sun Tzu here.

Literally everything coming out of the Trump camp from people who've bailed and who are still leaking poo poo say that Trump indeed believs in his own bullshit. Also that Trump still has no concept of a ground game or the logistical resources to actually run a general election. He's not playing 3 dimensional chess, he really has no idea what he's doing.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Literally everything coming out of the Trump camp from people who've bailed and who are still leaking poo poo say that Trump is indeed believing in his own bullshit. Also that Trump still has no concept of a ground game or the resources to actually run a general election. He's not playing 3 dimensional chess, he really has no idea what he's doing.

On top of that he doesn't really believe in data or polling and has literally no fundraising operation in place (those take months to build in a good campaign) and the GOP is privately saying they're worried that he's going to suck up resources for down ballot races.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He's not playing 3 dimensional chess, he really has no idea what he's doing.

I feel like this needs to be included at the end of every single post in this thread.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Another Sikh shot dead, this time the owner of a gas station in Newark. No robbery, no signs of struggle, just the owner shot behind the counter.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

On top of that he doesn't really believe in data or polling and has literally no fundraising operation in place (those take months to build in a good campaign) and the GOP is privately saying they're worried that he's going to suck up resources for down ballot races.

Also he continues to refuse to allow his own campaign team to vet him.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Also he continues to refuse to allow his own campaign team to vet him.

They're too busy vetting veterans groups to make sure it's okay to give them money anyway.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He's not playing 3 dimensional chess, he really has no idea what he's doing.

Trump is playing a different game. He's here to win "Trump Points." I'm not going to try and define those, but I think we all have an intuitive idea of what's involved. At this time, winning the Presidency would be worth a lot of Trump Points, but his strategy is to win as many Trump Points as possible on the way there.

zoux posted:

They're too busy vetting veterans groups to make sure it's okay to give them money anyway.

To be fair, this isn't actually a terrible policy. There are some ultra sketchy veterans groups.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Former Trump University Workers Call the School a ‘Lie’ and a ‘Scheme’ in Testimony

quote:

In blunt testimony revealed on Tuesday, former managers of Trump University, the for-profit school started by Donald J. Trump, portray it as an unscrupulous business that relied on high-pressure sales tactics, employed unqualified instructors, made deceptive claims and exploited vulnerable students willing to pay tens of thousands for Mr. Trump’s insights.

One sales manager for Trump University, Ronald Schnackenberg, recounted how he was reprimanded for not pushing a financially struggling couple hard enough to sign up for a $35,000 real estate class, despite his conclusion that it would endanger their economic future. He watched with disgust, he said, as a fellow Trump University salesman persuaded the couple to purchase the class anyway.

“I believe that Trump University was a fraudulent scheme,” Mr. Schnackenberg wrote in his testimony, “and that it preyed upon the elderly and uneducated to separate them from their money.”

Well, color me shocked.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Are those workers Mexican? I don't know their heritage, I'm just asking questions.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

WampaLord posted:

I don't know, I can see a scenario where Dems get major legislative gains. Keep in mind this is all pure speculation on my part and not backed up with any facts.

We head into the election with Clinton polling something like 55/45 over Trump. People love to vote for a winner, so Dem turnout is high, but R turnout suffers due to not bothering to vote since it's obvious Trump will lose anyway. Also if the Supreme Court seat is still open (and I figure it will be), that drives even more D turnout. Dems get many legislative wins, many of which will be undone in 2018 because they never loving turnout for midterms.

The Democrats are not going to take the House so these legislative "wins" won't change much. Moderate house republicans will continue to have no incentive to co-operate with house democrats and a lot to lose if they're perceived as a RINO. The tea party faction will remain ideologically opposed to passing anything. Only absolutely necessary legislation gets passed. We'll probably see another debt limit crisis in 2017, something to look forward to.

This is the Madisonian system working as designed. This is actually what it's supposed to look like, endless gridlock between the houses and Presidency so as to limit federal excesses or something. The idiot founders thought it would be a great system and Americans are stuck with it forever.

zoux posted:

A lot of it is going to depend on how well the Tea Party feels chastened by this election, and if GOPe elements in Congress decide to push back against the Freedom Caucus.

Also, I still think that the Tea Party loses a lot of steam after Obama leaves office, I don't think that a woman can spark the same feelings of fear and resentment in white men that a black man does, even if that woman is HRC.

It will be interesting to see how the tea party evolves over the next few years. I believe their popularity is driven in large part by the grievances of aging white non-college educated males, and it doesn't look like life is going to get any better for them anytime soon ie globalization isn't going anywhere. Despite their best efforts this group is not dying fast enough for Hillary to have a chance to do anything, and we'll likely see the impact of the tea party / alt-right / Trumpentariat persist on the national level for a while longer before becoming demographically irrelevant.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Phone posted:

Are those workers Mexican? I don't know their heritage, I'm just asking questions.

If they are, it's great.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Luigi Thirty posted:

Another Sikh shot dead, this time the owner of a gas station in Newark. No robbery, no signs of struggle, just the owner shot behind the counter.

Countdown to Alex Jones saying it's a false flag by muslims to convince Sikhs to join their jihaddfj,yrhfgx,mhgf

Real talk: I own the second season of :twentyfour:. In it, a muslim who's as white as anybody else in the show helping/working for the CTU has the evidence that will stop The Bad poo poo on a USB stick.
There's a scene where, because Islamophobia is at it's height; a gang of yahoos kills him/beats him badly (I honestly don't remember, because that's when I quit the show forever, because everything that ever happens when Sutherland isn't on screen just felt contrived to Hell)- and the evidence is lost and The Bad poo poo succeeds.

I quit watching :twentyfour:, because I never thought Americans would ever do this for literally ZERO loving REASON other than a person's looks fitting their prejudiced image of an existential threat to them and their country.

And it's loving happening for real. :psyduck:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 1, 2016

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Trump is playing a different game. He's here to win "Trump Points." I'm not going to try and define those, but I think we all have an intuitive idea of what's involved. At this time, winning the Presidency would be worth a lot of Trump Points, but his strategy is to win as many Trump Points as possible on the way there.

To be fair, this isn't actually a terrible policy. There are some ultra sketchy veterans groups.

Veterans Affairs is like a honeypot to grifters who also happen to be veterans, or who pretend to be. That's a pretty big problem for them, always has been. Like every other US Federal agency, there's developed an ecosystem around it, many of them parasites and saprophytes.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Nocturtle posted:

The Democrats are not going to take the House so these legislative "wins" won't change much. Moderate house republicans will continue to have no incentive to co-operate with house democrats and a lot to lose if they're perceived as a RINO. The tea party faction will remain ideologically opposed to passing anything. Only absolutely necessary legislation gets passed. We'll probably see another debt limit crisis in 2017, something to look forward to.

This is the Madisonian system working as designed. This is actually what it's supposed to look like, endless gridlock between the houses and Presidency so as to limit federal excesses or something. The idiot founders thought it would be a great system and Americans are stuck with it forever

Trump losing is basically going to signal the end of Paul Ryan's career because they're going to RINO the hell out of him.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

petit choux posted:

Veterans Affairs is like a honeypot to grifters who also happen to be veterans, or who pretend to be. That's a pretty big problem for them, always has been. Like every other US Federal agency, there's developed an ecosystem around it, many of them parasites and saprophytes.

The joke is that Trump cut basically half the checks he said he cut to vets on the day that the WaPo found out he hadn't, and he claimed it was because he was vetting groups.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nocturtle posted:

This is the Madisonian system working as designed. This is actually what it's supposed to look like, endless gridlock between the houses and Presidency so as to limit federal excesses or something. The idiot founders thought it would be a great system and Americans are stuck with it forever.

Well, it's doing exactly what Madison wanted. If you're an aristocrat this country is still doing pretty great. Keep in mind Madison bought up a bunch of land on the Potomac so that he'd get rich(er) when DC got built. We're getting the plutocracy we planned for.

That said, hey, when you 200 years old are, look as good you will not, etc.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Well, it's doing exactly what Madison wanted. If you're an aristocrat this country is still doing pretty great. Keep in mind Madison bought up a bunch of land on the Potomac so that he'd get rich(er) when DC got built. We're getting the plutocracy we planned for.

That said, hey, when you 200 years old are, look as good you will not, etc.

i long for the day where we dispel with this fiction that the founding fathers gave a poo poo about people who weren't rich, white and men

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Seriously. They all sounded like a bunch of real fuckers.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

i long for the day where we dispel with this fiction that the founding fathers gave a poo poo about people who weren't rich, white and men

To be fair, I think some did. They just, you know. Got overruled by all the super-rich Virginians who really liked owning other humans.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Majorian posted:

To be fair, I think some did. They just, you know. Got overruled by all the super-rich Virginians who really liked owning other humans.

I mean in context of 1770's caring about them, I guess? But they absolutely weren't thinking about equality in the way we think about it and would have gotten the vapors from the idea of letting people of color and women vote, let alone hold major office.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
No, that's absolutely true. Their level of caring for the overall welfare of people who weren't land-owning white males was pretty low, approaching zero. Just, you know, credit where credit is due.:)

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Most of the founding fathers cared, in that they genuinely believed they were creating a better system. Trying to sum them up as merely "evil racist oligarchs" does get at an aspect of their lives and motivations but is dumbfoundingly reductionist.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Radish posted:

Seriously. They all sounded like a bunch of real fuckers.

Well, Lin Manuel Miranda had a quote in this month's Rolling Stone where he says that the founders deserve some real credit for "sticking the landing" and successfully transitioning to a Democratic government after the Revolution. That's pretty amazing and an extremely rare accomplishment in world history (compare the French Revolution).

Past that of course yeah they were all deeply flawed in different ways.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

El Disco posted:

Oh god there's a tiny blip on the "Trump wins" side. :ohdear:

Trump winning is the single most likely possible outcome. Think about that.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Quorum posted:

Most of the founding fathers cared, in that they genuinely believed they were creating a better system. Trying to sum them up as merely "evil racist oligarchs" does get at an aspect of their lives and motivations but is dumbfoundingly reductionist.

I didn't say they were evil or racist per-say -- I said that they weren't particularly interested in inclusion of the lower class . I mean a lot of them didn't event conceptualize the notion that non-whites were even actually humans. It isn't of course to castigate them entirely for what they were trying to do, but instead putting into perspective that calls to their authority on issues of equality and equanimity -- and more broadly how they thought government should work -- are not good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

zoux posted:

The joke is that Trump cut basically half the checks he said he cut to vets on the day that the WaPo found out he hadn't, and he claimed it was because he was vetting groups.

Sorry, I was just going off on a tangent. I'm Audi.

• Locked thread