Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Well, it's doing exactly what Madison wanted. If you're an aristocrat this country is still doing pretty great. Keep in mind Madison bought up a bunch of land on the Potomac so that he'd get rich(er) when DC got built. We're getting the plutocracy we planned for.

And to be fair, it's not like they were making up this pro-aristocratic worldview out of whole cloth. The Founding Fathers and other intellectuals of their generation were all big fans of Classical Antiquity, and the most stable governments in ancient Greece and Rome tended to be aristocratic ones (as Aristotle famously observed). Even the Athenian democracy held that the instruments of power should be left to the kalloi kagathoi ("the beautiful and the virtuous"), ie: those that were high-born and well-bred. So it makes sense that the Founding Fathers would go into creating the American state trying to emulate this public mindset.

Bip Roberts posted:

Trump winning is the single most likely possible outcome. Think about that.

I strongly disagree.:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Bip Roberts posted:

Trump winning is the single most likely possible outcome. Think about that.

What

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Majorian posted:

To be fair, I think some did. They just, you know. Got overruled by all the super-rich Virginians who really liked owning other humans.

Those super-rich Virginians were debtors more often than not, living like an English country lord turned out to be very expensive and tobacco didn't always pay the bills. Which is part of the reason (racist madness aside) that they were so loathe to give up their slaves, because they represented a big chunk of wealth that could be easily converted into cash if need be.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Majorian posted:

To be fair, I think some did. They just, you know. Got overruled by all the super-rich Virginians who really liked owning other humans.

Hamilton was an abolitionist but a big fan of banks and would be solidly on the one-percenter side today. Jefferson was a slave rapist but generally cared about the poor white people.

Basically for the founders you're looking at "cares about the poor / cares about people who arent white" pick one of two.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Hamilton was an abolitionist but a big fan of banks and would be solidly on the one-percenter side today. Jefferson was a slave rapist but generally cared about the poor white people.

Basically for the founders you're looking at "cares about the poor / cares about people who arent white" pick one of two.

I think Franklin managed both (he was definitely an abolitionist), but he also spent a lot of his time pursuing, ahem, "other interests."

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Majorian posted:

I think Franklin managed both (he was definitely an abolitionist), but he also spent a lot of his time pursuing, ahem, "other interests."

He means boning older women.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Hamilton was a borderline Monarchist

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Majorian posted:

That's a funny way of spelling French prostitutes.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

MariusLecter posted:

He means boning older women.

WampaLord posted:

That's a funny way of spelling French prostitutes.

That was what I was getting at, yes.

And what he was getting at.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Majorian posted:

That was what I was getting at, yes.

And what he was getting at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CdVTCDdEwI

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Alexander Hamilton was not so much a fan of monarchy as he was a fan of there being a unitary executive with unlimited power, and also that said executive's name should be Alexander Hamilton, and he did not give a poo poo who knew it.

There is a reason that the second George Washington was too syphilis-riddled to command anymore his career did a downright prescient Rob Schneider impression.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Indeed, he famously argued for an elective monarchy for the U.S.

Thank you, I'm very proud of myself.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Riosan posted:

Not only those, but Michigan too. I'm sure lots of people are willing to vote Republican after children were literally poisoned because of poor infrastructure upkeep.

Hah. They are. The next governor will be a Democrat, but that's not going to seep into other races. Trump is a unique candidate that could conceivably flip states like Michigan or Wisconsin, but it's bad strategy to focus on them because they're sure not flipping before Florida, Ohio, and Virginia.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Ze Pollack posted:

There is a reason that the second George Washington was too syphilis-riddled to command anymore his career did a downright prescient Rob Schneider impression.

Pretty sure that Washington never had syphilis.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

On the topic of the Founding Fathers' hypocrisy and slavery, there's a new ERB out of Thomas Jefferson vs. Frederick Douglass. I think you'll all enjoy it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RZA Encryption posted:

Is there a map where Hillary hits 270 before the west coast polls close?

With only these states being in, Hillary would be guaranteed to win because at that point she will just need California (which would place her over the top to 273):

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

WampaLord posted:

That's a funny way of spelling French aristocrats.

Also all living female humans.

At least.

Franklin was an abolitionist later in life, to the point where he visited a black school and declared the black kids equal to white kids, and he supported stuff like publicly funded hospitals. He was racist in a paternalistic sort of way, but was so far ahead of the curve circa 1800 that it's pretty impressive. In the lead up to the French Revolution he was basically portrayed in France as loving Zeus, which is pretty awesome, and fairly accurate insofar as I think Zeus banged everything in Greek mythology at some point or another.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Zeroisanumber posted:

Pretty sure that Washington never had syphilis.

Pick your teeth-falling-out getting-steadily-crazier disease of choice, point remains Alexander Hamilton's political career without his sugar daddy standing by to cover for him can be summed up with the single word "Nope."

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

DaveWoo posted:

Yes, but wait until you see Trump's brilliant electoral strategy:

https://twitter.com/foxnews/status/736976526319587330

I can understand FL, OH, VA, and even the white whale of PA, but California? (or NY, lol) Yes I'm sure the state with a huge hispanic population and a super(?) majority of democrats at the state level is going to turn red.

Boon posted:

Came for the updated avatar.

Left disappointed.

:yeah:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Democrats are going to win back the Senate, it's almost inevitable. They might lose it in 2018 but they will win it this year.

They only need it for 2 years to fill every single vacancy the GOP has been stonewalling on. And 2 years is a long time for Ryan to be in the spotlight as the one blocking Things Getting Done(tm).

But yeah 2018 is going to suck because there's zero chance the Dems get historically bad midterm turnout rates to go up unless we get mail-in voting in all 50 states maybe.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
What is arzy?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2431

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

arzy was a dude who flipped the gently caress out chicken little-ing every time something that could even be interpreted as bad happened for Obama during the 2008 (i think?) election

he was also a huge piece of poo poo for other reasons. i think he was an investment banker and went to bat for them in a number of threads, iirc

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Majorian posted:

I strongly disagree.:stare:

The mode of that distribution is a point where Trump wins.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Majorian posted:

On the topic of the Founding Fathers' hypocrisy and slavery, there's a new ERB out of Thomas Jefferson vs. Frederick Douglass. I think you'll all enjoy it.

this is the funkiest couple beats they've ever had

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Trump losing is basically going to signal the end of Paul Ryan's career because they're going to RINO the hell out of him.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens with the 2017 budget debate. Do the Republicans get a continuing resolution this time, or do the Democrats force them to try shutting down the government just before a general election? Even if they manage to delay it until after the election, the party will likely be eating itself alive and it's safe to say Ryan won't be having much fun in any case/

This is speculation on my part and I'm too dumb to look up the tea party's electoral prospects, but won't a democrat surge hurt moderate house Republicans the most? Moderates are more likely to be in competitive districts that have a chance of being flipped, while safe republican seats are more likely to have already been primaried by members of the Freedom caucus. If this is the case, the house could be even crazier after the election even without the inevitable infighting following a humiliating defeat.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Evil Fluffy posted:

I can understand FL, OH, VA, and even the white whale of PA, but California? (or NY, lol) Yes I'm sure the state with a huge hispanic population and a super(?) majority of democrats at the state level is going to turn red.

It's been mentioned to death in the thread, but MN hasn't gone red since Nixon in 1972, so that's an even less likely get than PA or NY.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Bip Roberts posted:

The mode of that distribution is a point where Trump wins.

Ah, gotcha. Should have scrolled back to see the context.:downs:

emdash posted:

arzy was a dude who flipped the gently caress out chicken little-ing every time something that could even be interpreted as bad happened for Obama during the 2008 (i think?) election

Yup. As far as I remember, he was a pleasant enough dude when he wasn't losing his poo poo over really stupid non-indicators, until it came out that he was an investment banker.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
I'm also going to point out that depending on how things go with Garland, a Hillary win would mean a liberal Supreme Court.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
So there's some arab kid on UCLA's campus shooting the place up - do our probably 15 mass shootings before November favour Trump or Clinton?

Twitter spam accounts that latch onto trends are the best

https://twitter.com/puzzlegamesG/status/738057414235160576

pathetic little tramp fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 1, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Majorian posted:

Ah, gotcha. Should have scrolled back to see the context.:downs:

Yup. As far as I remember, he was a pleasant enough dude when he wasn't losing his poo poo over really stupid non-indicators, until it came out that he was an investment banker.

Arzy also went from rabidly pro-Obama to Romney's biggest supporter because he thought Obama was fostering a national climate of hate against investment bankers.

He also claimed that Obama increasing taxes on people making over 300k and Obamacare raising the Medicare tax for people over 250k meant Obama lied about not raising taxes on the middle class and he was unable to make ends meet.

Does he still post? I haven't seen him in a while.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 1, 2016

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/greta/status/738051845713694721

Have a laugh and try and guess what pictures she's melting down about before you click through.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Arzy also went from rabidly pro-Obama to Romney's biggest supporter because he thought Obama was fostering a national climate of hate against investment bankers.

Oh yes, I totally forgot about this. He and Arkane became close buds iirc.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

zoux posted:

Have a laugh and try and guess what pictures she's melting down about before you click through.

:laffo: Jesus Christ

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

pathetic little tramp posted:

So there's some arab kid on UCLA's campus shooting the place up - do our probably 15 mass shootings before November favour Trump or Clinton?

Over summer break? Bad timing for the final meltdown imho

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

These people are loving stupid.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

zoux posted:

Lol she's spinning it as her supporting giving Nasa more money.

https://twitter.com/greta/status/738059154405924864

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

MacheteZombie posted:

Lol she's spinning it as her supporting giving Nasa more money.

https://twitter.com/greta/status/738059154405924864

But sequestration and austerity were all great ideas because

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

pathetic little tramp posted:

Not sure where you got "Arab Kid" from, everywhere I'm seeing is saying "white male".

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Epic High Five posted:

Over summer break? Bad timing for the final meltdown imho

naw this is the week right before finals at UCLA

maybe the dude's targeting someone who got an internship or job over him?

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Ronald Reagan and Tip O'Neill would have had a drink together and solved the issue of interplanetary data transmissions. Why won't Obama lead?

• Locked thread