Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Yoshifan823 posted:

On the topic of this special, I turned this on (it's really quite good, Tom Hanks had a hand in producing it so it's much better than your average CNN thing) and I saw Geraldo Rivera on there calling out Ronald Reagan for his lack of response to the AIDS crisis.

What the gently caress happened to him in the 30 years between then and now to turn him into the Fox News anchor we know and dislike today?

Al Capone's vault, mostly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ukFAvYP3UU

depicted: American mythological heroes victorious over their despicable nemeses

Joementum posted:

By the way, as thing stand, there will be no cats in the White House next year.

Hillary has three dogs: Seamus, Tally, and Maisie.

Trump has a golden lab named Spinee who underwent surgery in February and may now be dead.

While there may not be a cat in the running, you're missing a presidential dog here Joe.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Litany Unheard posted:

Eh, your average American doesn't even know there IS an Undersecretary assigned to international trade. And so long as she's signaling "TPP BAD" it doesn't matter what she says, since no one actually knows what the TPP is anyways. I've had more than one person tell me that the TPP is bad because we shouldn't have free trade with China.

TPP is 70% good, 30% bad.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

*insert Weimar comparison here*

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Ron Jeremy posted:

Forget even spicy food, my midwestern relatives won't touch fish other than tuna in a can.

What kind of midwesterner won't eat fish? Fishing is huge in the Midwest.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Gyges posted:

Until quite recently, unless you went and caught a fish yourself, eating fish from the store in the Midwest was a good way to eat some old rear end fish. Until air delivery and quality refrigeration, you were eating fish caught days earlier on one of the coasts and then shipped in a, more or less, literal ice box by train. Canned tuna was the exception because canning it kept it "fresh".

So in my Great Grandmother's time, eating fish in Kansas was a dumb as gently caress idea. In my grandmother's time it was an expensive bad idea. In my father's time it was an expensive idea that never occurred to him due to the cultural culinary tradition he grew up in. Then he got drafted and surprising, new and exotic foods introduced to him by whim of Uncle Sam didn't stick. Some pepper or some really mild "spicy" cheese dip for tortilla chips is as hot as he goes.

He also only eats well done steak because the Midwest is culinary hell. Hope you like various takes on jello salads.

Only if you're in the part actually around the Great Lakes or on the banks of the Mississippi.

I forgot that folks lump the Great Plains into the Midwest. Kansas, Oklahoma, etc. are in a totally different (and much worse) universe for food and culture than the eastern Midwest. Even if the eastern Midwest is also a relative cultural and culinary desert compared to anywhere good!

Eating fish is cool and good in the eastern Midwest, but there's definitely a suspicion of spicy food.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

Indiana is pretty good about a diverse food culture that doesn't skimp on the spicy, moreso the college town I'm in now than when I was living in Indy, but Indy ain't bad

The important bit here that needs to be said is that people in the south, especially white people, like to talk a big game about eating spicy foods but they're every bit as bad as your average midwesterner. Southern cuisine isn't about spice or even variety at all, it's about SUGAR and lots of it. Hence why all their loving feet are rotting off

Unfortunately you've gotten the wrong impression from Indy and college towns, drive for thirty miles and try to convince the first person you see to eat something spicy and you might talk them up to chili with spaghetti in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Gyges posted:

Hurricane Sandy happened after the VP pick. When the only public hit against Christie, as far as the Republicans were concerned, was he's fatter than Taft.

Christie's life since :mitt: passed him up has been a slow unfolding of every reason why he was passed up. It's a little surprising considering the general incompetence of Romney's campaign that they successfully detected Christie's status as a jenga tower.

• Locked thread