Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Don't mind if I do.

DEMOCRATS ARE GOING TO BLOW THIS GRAAAAHHHH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Inferior Third Season posted:

I'm not really worried about the presidential race, but the fact that we won't get Maximum Chaos to emerge out of the GOP convention, and with their rank-and-file quickly accepting Trump, means that the glimmer of hope that Democrats could win back the House and Senate, or at least get quite close in the House, is nearly gone.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the importance of not letting a Republican pick out the next Supreme Court justice, but I'd really like to make some legislative progress rather than just continue treading water until the Republicans finally pull off a presidential win and go insane again.

It's a long time to November.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Inferior Third Season posted:

Yeah, I think the Dems still have a decent shot at the Senate, but I really don't think they're going to make major gains in the House, and that's enough to prevent Hillary from doing almost anything.

A lot of it is going to depend on how well the Tea Party feels chastened by this election, and if GOPe elements in Congress decide to push back against the Freedom Caucus.

Also, I still think that the Tea Party loses a lot of steam after Obama leaves office, I don't think that a woman can spark the same feelings of fear and resentment in white men that a black man does, even if that woman is HRC.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Also he continues to refuse to allow his own campaign team to vet him.

They're too busy vetting veterans groups to make sure it's okay to give them money anyway.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Phone posted:

Are those workers Mexican? I don't know their heritage, I'm just asking questions.

If they are, it's great.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

petit choux posted:

Veterans Affairs is like a honeypot to grifters who also happen to be veterans, or who pretend to be. That's a pretty big problem for them, always has been. Like every other US Federal agency, there's developed an ecosystem around it, many of them parasites and saprophytes.

The joke is that Trump cut basically half the checks he said he cut to vets on the day that the WaPo found out he hadn't, and he claimed it was because he was vetting groups.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/greta/status/738051845713694721

Have a laugh and try and guess what pictures she's melting down about before you click through.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

Ronald Reagan and Tip O'Neill would have had a drink together and solved the issue of interplanetary data transmissions. Why won't Obama lead?

Gah! Who's hosting Hardball?!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Anyway Greta, to answer your question

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GalacticAcid posted:

They have a profile of the shooter though (white male, black pants, black shirt) and they're still systematically searching for him. Not that you're wrong but def not clear cut.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/738081817442521088

Of course, as with all active shooting stories, tune in tomorrow to find out what really happened.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GalacticAcid posted:

Yeah. One of my closest friends is on lockdown very close to the incident so I am unfortunately more invested than usual in the up-to-the-minute updates.

Well, you aren't actually getting any good information.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What? It was just a boring old murder suicide? Well in that case

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Doctor Butts posted:

That reminds me: if ever you forget that metro Cleveland is filled to the brim with racist assholes, just remember that cleveland.com had to disable all comments for crime stories.

I don't think Ohio has a monopoly on racist local news commenters.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Doctor Butts posted:

Yea but how many of those other news outlets decided enough was enough and disabled comments because of it?

Not nearly enough.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pellisworth posted:

Argh, gorillas and chimps are sibling or cousin groups, not our parents, that is now how evolution works.

Also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sahelanthropus

Please don't try to argue in good faith with a picture of a Rush Limbaugh quote.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

The outcome being that the GOP is now going to be railing against social security during an election year.

Classic Trollbama

I mean, obviously it couldn't have happened this way because it was the Obama presidency that laid the ground for the Trump candidacy, but imagine if Hillary had won in 2008 and 2016 was Trump vs full-on Campaign Obama.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So some nutbag on facebook keeps posting these...oh that's the Lt. Governor of Texas.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dexo posted:

Oh thank god. I thought that was Dan Patrick from the sports show. One of the few Sports radio guys I actually like.

His name used to be Dan Goeb but you know, too ethnicky.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

fishmech posted:

I would disagree. It's always been very easy for members of certain groups, depending on location and time, to isolate in bubbles of views that reinforce them, what the internet makes possible is to do that for practically everyone.

Yeah well the weird sex guys are a lot better than the weird politics guys.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm still pretty sure that they'll be able to snake themselves out of this one and still remain the dominant force in US politics because that's what's happened every time beforehand.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AhhYes posted:

I've been trying to come up with a reason this isn't, by far, the most consequential outcome of this election and I can't do it. It has made me apathetic about the Dem primary and completely comfortable with a Clinton Presidency. So what if she's hawkish and centrist for 4-8 years? The court will be left of center for the bulk of the rest of my life. That's a huge win in my mind.

Assuming the GOP retains control of the House and continues their obstructionist policies, SCOTUS is absoutely the most important thing about this election.

However, the Tea Party got well spanked in the GOP primary with all their darlings going down to a dude who doesn't give a gently caress about social or movement conservatism. So, that coupled with losing Bad Guy Number One in the White House could lessen their resolve and compromise and governance might be possible. Or not, we'll have to see.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Regular Nintendo posted:

Please read some comments on literally any local news site

Whoa these kinds of threats are frowned upon.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

I am actually surprised that some goons have come out against lettings trans people the right bathroom because it is an inefficient use of political resources. I'm not exactly sure what would be a better use of resources.

Also, it's proving to be a mega loser for the right, so we aren't actually spending resources or capital.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Radish posted:

Isn't the concept of "political capital" where you give something and then later get something in return somewhat outdated? Today's conservative politicians seem all in on the idea of burning everything to the ground if it advances their agenda so comprising with them for the promise of future return seems incredibly naive. It's not like ignoring trans rights is going to make the fight for labor rights any more difficult because Republicans will only let THIS many of the Democrat's stuff through based on what they've gotten so far.

Well, everyone thinks it is so they act accordingly.

Also "gee I sure wish that trans people weren't discriminated against but these other concerns are so much more pressing" is the platonic ideal of concern trolling so we should all be thankful for having such a clear baseline to compare future concern trolls to,

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This was a forums fuckup!!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I was just learned about there are niggers and there and blacks. God dammit. gently caress

Chris Rock quit doing that bit because it was coopted for evil.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I know. I used to be pretty casually and actually somwhat, no, gently caress it I was racist at one point. I've moved past that thanks in large parts to who I've met and interacted with at college.

The ignorance that I perpetuated is still there and makes my home state look awful. I wish there was something I could do.

Go forth and be racist no more.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

RuanGacho posted:

It is probably for the best to not start an ideological purity test for people.

Look at the guy who's never felt the swelling ecstasy of righteous indignation.

https://twitter.com/TWCNewsAustin/status/738444116296491008

Oh wouldn't it be grand if this was something.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aliquid posted:

Hillary's live on the tv kicking the poo poo out of Donald, at least better than I expected

Yeah, I dunno how much of a policy speech this is.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MariusLecter posted:

If she counters his nonsense with policy he'll just say, "That's stupid, she's stupid. I'll do it better and we'll all get hookers and blackjack!" , calling Trump a piece of poo poo as much as possible might be more effective.

Well it's policy now, I guess she was just hyping us up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dexo posted:

Trump's response to anything Clinton says until the California primary ends should be;

"Why is Hillary talking as though she's actually sealed her nomination like I have, Bernie still has a chance"

He could say that.

OR
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/738449664752553984

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/BrendanBuck/status/738449872232316928

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/738454668150374400

Consult the oracles!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If the Trump campaign ends up being as much of a disaster as we all think it is, these Trump endorsements are going to be serious political liabilities.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

They wasted a wild card then, because Prince's autopsy report is overshadowing both stories

Plus you can only roll out an endorsement once, HRC could give another FP Trump smashing speech tomorrow.

It's cool that literally no GOP surrogates can deny what she said in her speech today because they all said the same poo poo during the primary.

Mozi posted:

The thing is... I saw a little bit of his Veterans press conference recently and I know calling the end of his campaign is a losing game so far but it seemed like the whole edifice was starting to come apart a bit. He truly is in over his head and has no idea of how to conduct a presidential (not primary) campaign. There's a segment of voters who will stick with him even stronger the more he's attacked but his uncontrollable aggressiveness and inability to keep himself from personally insulting people is going to become more and more of a problem.

Not to mention, hey, has your wife ever accused you in court of raping her in a rage over a failed hair transplant? I can say no!

Yeah the other day I wondered if he keeps this up, if he'll even make it to the convention.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Doctor Butts posted:

Oh I'm sorry I wasn't aware someone banned guns over the issue. I'll update my references.

Lol, look he changed it from cars so we couldn't point out that it's much much harder to be a licensed driver than to get a gun.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Mandingo posted:

Wolf went pretty hard at Rep Issa about trumps nuclear proliferation rant about letting Japan and South Korea handle their own vs N Korea Best Korea.

Yeah, they seem pretty salty about that media bashing he did at the Trump U presser. The NYT straight up called his poo poo false assertions without filtering it through "some say" bullshit in an article yesterday.

Trump's candidacy pretty much relies on a complicit media uncritically signal boosting everything he says, it's really bad for him if they start, you know, doing their job.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Let's take a step back and wait to see how this plays out for a couple of days before we call it, he's looked hosed before.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Cut the crap and start work on repealing the second amendment, instead of this wishy washy "This is an old document" or "A milita doesnt mean "Armed civilian force" half-measure.

I'm fer it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

WampaLord posted:

I really like how you had to ellipsis out the stuff that might give any nuance to the 2nd amendment in your spiel about reading a document in black and white.

"Well-regulated? What does that mean?"

It's weird how that part never makes it onto bumper stickers.

FairGame posted:

Won't stop a million breathless articles and news segments from being created, obviously, but there really are no "winners" or "losers" in debates when it comes to outcomes.

While I agree that winners are completely subjective based on who people support, you absolutely can lose a debate. Basically they aren't a discussion of policies as much as a test of if you can talk about issues for 20 minutes without completely torpedoing your campaign.

• Locked thread