Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Alpha3KV posted:

On a related note, I don't really see anything that's supposed to be bad about the ending where you join the bird-men.

You don't get to bone Gaia in the end, which is what I assume the game is building up to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

I still love how the dialog in the Yeti fight makes no goddamn sense :allears: Also my favorite way of beating the female yeti was to turn into a bird and fly up high, and when she leaps up to hit you fly behind her and bite her.

I'm also fairly sure the pig things under Mt. Snow are supposed to be Moeritherium, an early relative of elephants.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Alpha3KV posted:

On a related note, I don't really see anything that's supposed to be bad about the ending where you join the bird-men.

The bad part is that they didn't bother to make a part of the game about your and your birdman friends' rad moon base.

SOLarian
Oct 29, 2012
Pillbug
Getting kicked by a horse really hurts, though luckily the few times I had that happened I only got hit in the shin and I was pretty close, so it couldn't hit me full power. Horses are also pretty heavy, especially when they step on your toes :argh:

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
For some odd reason I thought as a kid I had to keep the bird form for the maze. It does make it somewhat easier, at least, but that does mean you have to do all the ice stages as a bird.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Teleporter mazes are the worst. Everyone complains about sewer levels and sure, sewer levels are bad and dumb, but teleporter mazes have got to go.

The only thing worse than a teleporter maze in a real-time game is a teleporter maze in a turn based game.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Camel Pimp posted:

For some odd reason I thought as a kid I had to keep the bird form for the maze. It does make it somewhat easier, at least, but that does mean you have to do all the ice stages as a bird.

It kind of looks like all the ice stages would be easier as a bird, right? Like, instead of climbing the mountain, fly up it. Instead of platforming across the ice pits, fly across them. Instead of dodging the T-Rex, or burning a green crystal, just fly over them. You're not going to need any Evo points as a bird, since you should still be maxed, so just fly over and away from everything and progress pretty drat quickly to the flying fortress. The only thing I can think that might be a hurdle is the mammoth fight.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

I actually got kicked in the chest by a horse as a young child. Nothing was broken, but I did regain my senses several feet away from the horse on the ground and everything hurt.

The human forms later in this game are useful, but far less fun than the crazy stuff you can make piecemeal.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Captain Bravo posted:

You're not going to need any Evo points as a bird, since you should still be maxed, so just fly over and away from everything and progress pretty drat quickly to the flying fortress.

EVO isn't really a long game, but the section of your post that I'm highlighting here is the largest reason why you shouldn't stick with the bird/dinosaur body. It kind of sucks if your character is done growing at the halfway point of the game. At that point you're just playing for what little story there is. While it is nice to skip all of this game's incredibly tedious grinding, you also miss out on all the other cool stupid-looking monstrosities you can evolve into in chapters 4 and 5.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Cathode Raymond posted:

The only thing worse than a teleporter maze in a real-time game is a teleporter maze in a turn based game.

I'm reminded of the spinner maze in Wizardry, where every corridor intersection looked identical in all four directions, and had a spinner that would silently (invisibly) rotate you either left or right or 180°, and the dungeon layout was highly repetitive to boot.

Then again, Wizardry explicitly actively hates you. More modern games don't have that excuse.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

DoubleNegative posted:

EVO isn't really a long game, but the section of your post that I'm highlighting here is the largest reason why you shouldn't stick with the bird/dinosaur body. It kind of sucks if your character is done growing at the halfway point of the game. At that point you're just playing for what little story there is. While it is nice to skip all of this game's incredibly tedious grinding, you also miss out on all the other cool stupid-looking monstrosities you can evolve into in chapters 4 and 5.

I'm not saying take the bird for the long haul, I'm saying use the bird for 90% of this chapter, to unlock all of the waypoints and defeat the castle, and then go back and evolve into a mammal. Skip straight to the good grinding spot, pop your green crystal for a boost, and away you go.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest

Captain Bravo posted:

I'm not saying take the bird for the long haul, I'm saying use the bird for 90% of this chapter, to unlock all of the waypoints and defeat the castle, and then go back and evolve into a mammal. Skip straight to the good grinding spot, pop your green crystal for a boost, and away you go.

Yeah, this is the way I usually do the Ice Age. I like to imagine it as Quetzalcoatl taking his rightful place as moon emperor while an unrelated hell-horse goes to kick the yetis to death.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.

Alpha3KV posted:

Yeah, this is the way I usually do the Ice Age. I like to imagine it as Quetzalcoatl taking his rightful place as moon emperor while an unrelated hell-horse goes to kick the yetis to death.

You are a good person and you should feel good.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Alpha3KV posted:

The fossil record doesn't support your version of events :colbert:

According to the fossil record, Quetzalcoatl died in a fight against Mothra 48 m.y.a. and hell-donkey kicked the yetis to death just outside the monolith a mere 4.5 m.y.a.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

:ducksiren: Episode 05: Rambling Around :ducksiren:

Additions

It’s actually not the first lake stage that has the nasty glitch, but the third.

Also, that's the closest banner image I could get to being appropriate without using up the one for the final update.

Aerdan posted:

"Domain of Eohip" actually refers to Eohippus, a genus of extinct ancestors to the modern horse.

Fish Noise posted:

That might be less Dodo and more Terror Bird.

Also, less Terror Bird and more Gastornis (note the obsolete genus name for the North American species).

But, you know, why would I take the direct route to Gastornis when the detour involves Terror Bird?

Also Jesus Christ they were crying at the sky wtf game.

Clitch posted:

'Chu' is the Japanese onomatopoeia for a kiss. The mermaid's attack is kissing.

New Music

31. Forest Ambience

I have to agree with Leave; it’s a very Secret of Evermore-ish track.

Yapping Eevee fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 25, 2016

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
"Domain of Eohip" actually refers to Eohippus, a genus of extinct ancestors to the modern horse.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I think my favorite moment in the LP thus far is just the whale king slowly sliding in from offscreen.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
I'm not sure if I ever found that hidden alien area or not, it's been entirely too long.

I also believe you jump higher while dashing, but I'm not 100% on that.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
That might be less Dodo and more Terror Bird.

Also, less Terror Bird and more Gastornis (note the obsolete genus name for the North American species).

But, you know, why would I take the direct route to Gastornis when the detour involves Terror Bird?

Also Jesus Christ they were crying at the sky wtf game.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Clitch posted:

"And thus, Rogon the Destroyer, dark ruler of the underwater world, was defeated through the power of love."

Then again, considering the Japanese version of mermaids has them either giving you immortality or an excruciatingly painful death if you consume the flesh of the dead mermaid, maybe you're just poisonous as gently caress.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I seem to recall merman kisses being a crucial source of oxygen in Mother 3, too.

Is this a thing, Japan?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Lizard Wizard posted:

I seem to recall merman kisses being a crucial source of oxygen in Mother 3, too.

Is this a thing, Japan?

Haven't you ever seen the hit 1984 movie Splash?????

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

It's been done in a few movies now that I think about it.

Robin William's Hook for instance.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

Merman machines. At least, I think they were machines.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

mauman posted:

It's been done in a few movies now that I think about it.

Robin William's Hook for instance.

That's already too many movies about mermaids and their oxygen kisses.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Y-Hat posted:

Merman machines. At least, I think they were machines.

They are. It's weird in the context of the story, too. Like everyone who sees one goes up to the inventor and goes "dude, you got problems."

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

:ducksiren: Episode 06: Only the Strong Survive :ducksiren:

Additions

This video contains guest commentator DoubleNegative. Thanks for helping out!

Turns out the message for breaking your horn is “The horn couldn’t withstand the power and broke.”

I’m mistaken about the dino-people. They actually give a decent amount of healing, though they still aren’t worth killing… especially since they will fall through elevators if knocked toward them.

Turns out that eating the timid Ikustega will actually cost you 6 health. :ssh: Most of the actual enemies in the final fight have about 300HP.

Y-Hat posted:

Oh, and Bolbox isn't a giant amoeba, it's a giant cell. It's got all the cell parts inside of it. Funny how the final enemy is the simplest part of life.

New Music

32. The Dino People

Here’s hoping their evolution works out.

33. Bolbox ~ Unnatural Threat

It’s good music, but I have to agree that you’re probably gonna hear it enough for it to become grating.

34. Fated Arrival at Eden

:toot: Congratulations!

35. Staff Roll

It’s closing time; you don’t have to go home, but you can’t stay here~

And finally, we have a pair of extra songs that didn’t make it into the end product.

36. Unused Song 01

37. Unused Song 02

Yapping Eevee fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jun 30, 2016

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
I recall kicking and charging attacks being handy for some of the nastier minibosses, if only because it'd knock them out of their own attacks and leave them in a good place for a proper follow up. The Dragon is also quite effective against some of them due to it's flight and raw power, but again it does help to lead off with a charge or a horn attack to force an opening before biting.

And as someone who did do this once with a Human, I can concur that it is completely miserable.

Dr. Bones
Nov 4, 2005

Private First Class in Blankman's Boot Camp of Goonery

I always thought the Neanderthal/Totally Human forms looked kinda like Howie Mandel back when he had hair. Dunno why. It just always stuck in my mind.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I thought there was a different ending if you do it as a human?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

They really didn't put any thought into what Eden might look like, huh?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
The one thing human form does have going for it is that its attack arcs are actually pretty good against Bolbox and his cronies as I recall. But yeah the greatly increased healing cost is miserable as gently caress.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Unoriginal One posted:

kicking and charging attacks
I will definitely admit that I could probably stand to kick/charge things in this game more often.

No Gravitas posted:

I thought there was a different ending if you do it as a human?
Nope! Went and beat him again as a human to confirm (with infinite health, to save what remains of my sanity). The ending was exactly the same.

Feinne posted:

The one thing human form does have going for it is that its attack arcs are actually pretty good against Bolbox and his cronies as I recall. But yeah the greatly increased healing cost is miserable as gently caress.
My main complaints from that quick experiment were that a) the human's attack arc is annoyingly just a bit too low to hit Bolbox without jumping, and b) the giant fish became infinitely more miserable than in any of my four-legged mammal fights.

At any rate, I hope that you folks have enjoyed this silly little LP. :) It's been great seeing all the little informative bits and pieces folks have popped up with, and I'm glad there were people who stuck around through/despite our commentary.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender
It was a great LP, thanks for running it!

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Yapping Eevee posted:

Nope! Went and beat him again as a human to confirm (with infinite health, to save what remains of my sanity). The ending was exactly the same.

I will call this result a half-victory on my part.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

No Gravitas posted:

I will call this result a half-victory on my part.
...You tricky bastard. :golfclap:

On the bright side, I discovered that you can make Bolbox spit out an orb while his arm's extended... and that said orb will bounce backward to the minion spawning point if it has to.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
I wanna know if anyone's beaten this game as a reptile. I'm pretty sure that's the "lowest" form you can finish the game as. (I imagine it would not be fun, though. Not sure if it'd be better or worse than finishing as a bird.)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Camel Pimp posted:

I wanna know if anyone's beaten this game as a reptile. I'm pretty sure that's the "lowest" form you can finish the game as. (I imagine it would not be fun, though. Not sure if it'd be better or worse than finishing as a bird.)

Worse, because you have to get through the ice age without any way to avoid ice physics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

thanks for lping this game
another childhood mystery closed

• Locked thread