Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Oh, and Bolbox isn't a giant amoeba, it's a giant cell. It's got all the cell parts inside of it. Funny how the final enemy is the simplest part of life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Y-Hat posted:

Oh, and Bolbox isn't a giant amoeba, it's a giant cell. It's got all the cell parts inside of it. Funny how the final enemy is the simplest part of life.

This feels like some form of metaphor for something, but I for the life of me can't think of what it could be.

FishOnAPiano
Oct 9, 2012

Camel Pimp posted:

I wanna know if anyone's beaten this game as a reptile. I'm pretty sure that's the "lowest" form you can finish the game as. (I imagine it would not be fun, though. Not sure if it'd be better or worse than finishing as a bird.)

I did! Except I was a kid and abused the heck out of savestates, so I can't really give a reasonable report. :cheeky:
I never found the bird option, and when I encountered the mammal and discovered evolution was optional, I went "I don't have to give up my rad dino form? Easy choice!" And then you never get another chance to evolve for the rest of the game.
I'd always figured the final boss was such a pain because I had gone in there with a form that wasn't intended and that the human form the game was hinting at must have been far more suited to fighting it, but nope, seems that's just how the battle goes. And then I so thought I'd broken things when I got to the end and had the humanoid Gaia being married off to a stegosaurus ripoff.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Annointed posted:

This feels like some form of metaphor for something, but I for the life of me can't think of what it could be.

This, in turn, feels like general commentary on jRPG writing.

Thanks for the LP, it's been great to revisit this game. It's weird, underpolished and tedious, but somehow the art direction and character customization still make it one of the good ones for me.

e: And actually, I think Rules of Nature or Red Sun would have worked well for the final attempt.

Aithon fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jun 26, 2016

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Annointed posted:

How slow Darwinian evolution is defeated by a form of Young Earth Creationism dressed up in a pseudoscientific manner. Of course!

Seriously, though, thanks for LPing this game. I tried playing it when I was in college, and that grind is too much even for a bored student wasting time.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
I recall the Human forms doing more damage to the final boss - I want to say 30 for some reason, but it's been a long while.

Also, Bolbox might be a reference to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvox

Thanks for the solid LP!
:unsmith:

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 9, 2016

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

MaskedHuzzah posted:

I recall the Human forms doing more damage to the final boss - I want to say 30 for some reason, but it's been a long while.

Also, Bolbox might be a reference to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvox

Thanks for the solid LP!

I bet you a dollar that's the thing they were going for; the name and general appearance is just way too close. Not to mention, if I remember right, in the Japanese language, they pronounce both "V" and "B" as an English speaker would pronounce "B", so it's entirely possible that the final boss is a giant Volvox in the original game.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

Not to mention, if I remember right, in the Japanese language, they pronounce both "V" and "B" as an English speaker would pronounce "B"
I think you're right. That's also the way it is in Spanish, hence why "automovil" has a "b" sound for the "v." Except in Venezuela, where "b" is pronounced with a "v" sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Leavemywife posted:

Not to mention, if I remember right, in the Japanese language, they pronounce both "V" and "B" as an English speaker would pronounce "B",

Japanese actually just plain doesn't have a V sound. They've introduced kana for V in loanwords, though, but its usage was pretty rare back in the 90s. There's supposedly a new set of kana for L in loanwords, as well, but that's much more recent and not even in Unicode yet (IIRC).

• Locked thread