Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

Soonmot posted:

I'm vacationing in Seattle this weekend, any good comic shops I need to check out?

I'm going to hang out here friday night if anyone wants to play boardgames with other internet nerds: http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.moxboardinghouse.com%2Fballard%2F&h=HAQFcN3SY&s=1

Golden Age in Pike Place Market is pretty neat. Cafe Mox has this game that was basically just a box with some styrofoam guns and cards where you essentially played Reservoir Dogs, and it was a complete blast. Can't remember the name though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Nobby posted:

Golden Age in Pike Place Market is pretty neat. Cafe Mox has this game that was basically just a box with some styrofoam guns and cards where you essentially played Reservoir Dogs, and it was a complete blast. Can't remember the name though.

What the gently caress that sounds great!!!!!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
What, like one of you is secretly a cop and you have to threaten each other with nerf guns and scream about someone being a rat to find out who?

Because I'd play that.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Did anyone that switched from print to digital have a hell of a time? It just feels weird to buy digital. I'm pulling the trigger on the new DC books, but man I still can't bring myself to pay $1.99 for Justice League Europe #1 when I can order the physical copy plus 29 other comics for $30 and get free shipping on that comic seller site.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

zoux posted:

I read this guardian article yesterday about how Mignola is giving up Hellboy to paint, what the hell?

Yeah sounds great. Also not giving up, ending.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

Did anyone that switched from print to digital have a hell of a time? It just feels weird to buy digital. I'm pulling the trigger on the new DC books, but man I still can't bring myself to pay $1.99 for Justice League Europe #1 when I can order the physical copy plus 29 other comics for $30 and get free shipping on that comic seller site.

Yeah, digital does feel like a huge ripoff.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I like trade paperbacks better than anything else. If I didn't want to keep up with stuff as it comes out (or if DC would reliably collect stuff better) I might just stick with trades. Mostly I just can't justify keeping huge boxes of monthly comics around anymore. Maybe order those 29 other comics and get them custom bound.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Digital is the best. I don't have to worry about where I'm going to put a book when I'm done because single issues are the worst unless you're a collector. I'm a reader, I don't give a poo poo about the collecting aspect of comics.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Nobby posted:

Golden Age in Pike Place Market is pretty neat.

Seconding this, and you can't visit Seattle without taking in Pike Place Market anyway. It is probably my favorite city I've ever been to. Also check out the Experience Music Project museum next to the Space Needle (which is also worth a visit), and from there, it's a five-minute walk to the Five Point Cafe, one of the best diner/dive bars I've ever been to, with amazing food.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Mr Hootington posted:

I can put as many comics on my iPad as I want and it stays the same size, weighs the same, and I can carry literally all my comics all the time because I have one magic screen that is all the media I own all the time, on command, and it glows in the dark so I can read it in bed easier.

I went digital and never looked back.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Data has a weight. Every comic makes it heavier.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah sounds great. Also not giving up, ending.

But all the other ones are staying around? What about Hellboy and the BPRD? I haven't read Hellboy in Hell yet so I dunno if he died or gor turned into a human or some other massive status quo changing event but aren't there a ton of ongoings in that universe?

I gotta say, I would kill to see what he's painting. I can't imagine what a painting that takes Mike Mignola a year to work looks like.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Data has a weight. Every comic makes it heavier.

I know a girl who believes this.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The only time I read digital is if I bought a big collection in a Humble Bundle or from a sale. I like physical books way too much.

Still haven't worked out a good way to store singles on shelves, but I mostly buy trades anyway.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

Nobby posted:

I've never played it, but it sounds like you're talking about Cash 'n Guns.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I know a girl who believes this.

It is true, at imperceptible levels.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

But all the other ones are staying around? What about Hellboy and the BPRD? I haven't read Hellboy in Hell yet so I dunno if he died or gor turned into a human or some other massive status quo changing event but aren't there a ton of ongoings in that universe?

I gotta say, I would kill to see what he's painting. I can't imagine what a painting that takes Mike Mignola a year to work looks like.

Hellboy died in 2011, and was sent to hell. The rest are staying around as its just him no longer being the sole writer/artist. Hellboy and the BPRD are stories taking place in the past in the years between him joking and quitting BPRD to hang in Africa.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Hellboy died in 2011, and was sent to hell. The rest are staying around as its just him no longer being the sole writer/artist. Hellboy and the BPRD are stories taking place in the past in the years between him joking and quitting BPRD to hang in Africa.

Ok thanks.

I'm re-reading the Hellboy-proper trades right now and I was looking over the list of all the Hellboy-universe comics and wondered how possible it would be to read everything. Or worth it, I know BPRD is supposed to be amazing but I don't know about the other stuff, of which there is a ton.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, digital does feel like a huge ripoff.

If older comics had a $1 price point I wouldn't feel this way. $2 just feels too much and I can't explain it.

X-O posted:

Digital is the best. I don't have to worry about where I'm going to put a book when I'm done because single issues are the worst unless you're a collector. I'm a reader, I don't give a poo poo about the collecting aspect of comics.

This is one of my hang ups. I love to collect comics, but they take up a ton of space. I'm going to have to get over it and come face it. I probably will not be able to read certain old series that interest me.

CapnAndy posted:

I can put as many comics on my iPad as I want and it stays the same size, weighs the same, and I can carry literally all my comics all the time because I have one magic screen that is all the media I own all the time, on command, and it glows in the dark so I can read it in bed easier.

I went digital and never looked back.

Yeah I love my Kindle and use Marvel Unlimited which is great, but buying comics digitally feels different.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
My issue with digital is I can't share it with friends.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Old comics do drop to $1 eventually.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

Ok thanks.

I'm re-reading the Hellboy-proper trades right now and I was looking over the list of all the Hellboy-universe comics and wondered how possible it would be to read everything. Or worth it, I know BPRD is supposed to be amazing but I don't know about the other stuff, of which there is a ton.

Everything is amazing except the second witchfinder trade. Amazing art but pointless

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Just came back from a meeting about a library renovation, and I want to thank most of you internet folks for being a relatively reasonable crowd. Most of you should be involved in community politics/policy, help dilute the crazy.

Also,

Auralsaurus Flex posted:

I've never played it, but it sounds like you're talking about Cash 'n Guns.

If pointing guns at your friends sounds like fun, Cash N Guns is the game for you. It's fun, it's more strategic than it sounds, it's not thinky, it's very quick.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Old comics do drop to $1 eventually.

Ehh, Marvel at least is astonishingly bad at this.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

They do sales all the time

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I have Marvel Unlimited and read more than 10 comics a month on it, so it's a loving steal.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If I had to go to the shop and get floppies every Wednesday, the reality of how many comics I buy would certainly hit me in a way clicking the 'yup' button in a browser doesn't.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jun 2, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

If I had to go to the shop and get floppies every Wednesday, the reality of how many comics I buy would certainly hit me in a way clicking the 'yup' button in a browser doesn't.

This can be deceptive. Three out of the four weeks you get 1 to 3 comics. That isn't too bad. the last week? BAM 12 comics you read are dropped and you realize someone has a problem.

Not you of course. the publishers for not spreading out your series over the month are the problem.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

1-3 comics. You're funny.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I get monthly stuff in digital and double-dip on trades/HCs of stuff I love. I don't like digital trades much at all.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Yeah, I've only really been reading comics since February and occasionally I glance over at my pile and start to question my decision. I started out swearing I wasn't going to need a box or anything for them ("How am I gonna fill a whole box with comics, please, that's ludicrous") and now... I think I need a box.

But I love cover art and physical media and I find out what I like by going off of random reviews/word of mouth (turns out, pretty much everything gets recommended by at least one person!) so this is just my life now.

I also get digital, but only if I don't care about the art or I'm waffling on a certain book. If I don't like it, better it just takes up space on the computer rather than having the issue lying around unread.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

1-3 comics. You're funny.

Is this low?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

Is this low?

This week alone, I had about a dozen single issues and a preordered digital collection. (8 Marvel titles, 3 DC one-shots, a Power Rangers mini-series and The Transformers Book Formerly Known As Robots In Disguise, Volume 9)

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Mr Hootington posted:

Is this low?

I normally pull at least 8 a week. This week was heavier due to Rebirth, but I think the last time I pulled 1-3 a week was when I was first getting started and only read like 6 books total.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A small week for me it about six books, but I'd say I average around 10 a week. My lists since the start of May have had (going backwards) 6, 15, 6, 7, and 7 books. It depends on when things ship. Since a lot of that is indie stuff, shipping schedules aren't always exactly monthly.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I need to check my pull lists but I'm around sixish a week and just started reading comics.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I dropped 55 dollars this weekend on comics, but that is 2 weeks worth of comics (also I got some double issues because I buy for a friend who pays me back). Luckily my monthly titles are dropping a bit, but I usually find that I will have weeks with 2 comics to pickup, sometimes none at all, and then one week 8 titles come out and destroy me.
As for the digital vs physical, I still buy the titles I have been buying for years at the store, but new titles I get digitally. I like it this way because if I try a first issue and don't like it I don't have to worry about storing it anywhere. Also, I have been greatly downsizing my collection. Got a question for you goons though, how often do you re-read titles. I sometimes re-read trades but I hardly ever re-read single issues anymore like I did when I was younger.

StumblyWumbly posted:

Just came back from a meeting about a library renovation, and I want to thank most of you internet folks for being a relatively reasonable crowd. Most of you should be involved in community politics/policy, help dilute the crazy.

As someone who works in the library, I feel your pain. Did anyone in the community ask you why they should have to pay for the renovations seeing how they never use the library?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Good lord! Even at my peak I wasn't buying more than 6 a week on average and that seemed to be too much. I did break 10 once and it triggered a pull list purge.

My budget is $20 for two weeks or 3 new books a week. Any extra will go into a pot or towards back issues.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I tried to be a current comics reader during SW but keeping up with like 30 titles month to month, it's hard to remember everything that's going on in all of them. I prefer to just wait a while and read them in big chunks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have a dude buying every single DC book every week. He frequently spends $75+ per visit.

• Locked thread