Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I think my 'core' pull list is 6 right now yea. Sometimes more gets added in for special stuff but 6-7 as my hard cap for 'this is what I want all the time' has served me well. This week was nutty because apparently everyone's losing their goddamn minds together, but now that the dust is settling there things should go back to a more normal level of comic obsession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I have a dude buying every single DC book every week. He frequently spends $75+ per visit.

Ohhhh, that's who's buying Bloodlines!

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Rhyno posted:

I have a dude buying every single DC book every week. He frequently spends $75+ per visit.

Do you have evidence he reads them, or is this some collector/hardcore DC fanboy thing? If he actually reads them all, good lord :stare:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I keep telling myself I'm going to trade waiting on some stuff but never actually do

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I wonder if there are people out there, not in the industry, who have read everything one (or both!!!) of the big 2 has ever put out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DrProsek posted:

Do you have evidence he reads them, or is this some collector/hardcore DC fanboy thing? If he actually reads them all, good lord :stare:

We talk about the books all the time so I assume he reads everything.

zoux posted:

I wonder if there are people out there, not in the industry, who have read everything one (or both!!!) of the big 2 has ever put out.

I knew a guy who obsessively bought every Marvel book printed. He had a complete collection of North America released Marvel comics from 1971-2009. 2009 is when I lost touch with him so I assume he has soldiered on.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Rhyno posted:

I knew a guy who obsessively bought every Marvel book printed. He had a complete collection of North America released Marvel comics from 1971-2009. 2009 is when I lost touch with him so I assume he has soldiered on.

That's gotta be worth a pretty penny, considering he's got...what, a complete collection of every Ultimate Universe comic ever printed, for starters?

Did he have every 90s variant? Because even though they were created for the sole purpose of being collected having every single one would actually be pretty loving rare.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rhyno posted:

man that's a genuinely really impressive form of obsession at least. Like on the 'oh man what's going on here' scale I for some reason rank that higher than a more narrow 'I own literally every Iron-Man product I can get my hands on'. I have no idea why though.

Also I'm just jealous of whatever living space that dude is in, that must at least dominate a good sized room.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

zoux posted:

There is over 1800 different series on Marvel Unlimited. I'm currently at 1527 left to read. To be far I purged about 50 Star Wars titles from my list. :v:

I would unironically read every DC comic if I had the money and access to them.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Mr Hootington posted:

There is over 1800 different series on Marvel Unlimited. I'm currently at 1527 left to read. To be far I purged about 50 Star Wars titles from my list. :v:

Marvel Unlimited's missing a lot.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

When I first was big into Marvel U and was just reading tons and tons of books I thought I'd try a heroic read of all the X-men mainline comics. Marvel U is missing a ton of those in the 70s-90s but it didn't matter because I never made it past five books of the original run. That old comic dialogue is to painful to actually read.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rhyno posted:

Were you friends with Jeph Loeb? I'm pretty sure he has every Marvel book from some point in the seventies to current.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

zoux posted:

When I first was big into Marvel U and was just reading tons and tons of books I thought I'd try a heroic read of all the X-men mainline comics. Marvel U is missing a ton of those in the 70s-90s but it didn't matter because I never made it past five books of the original run. That old comic dialogue is to painful to actually read.

When I pick up an old series and start to read it, I will stop if it is missing an issue and hope they add it soon.

Toxxupation posted:

Marvel Unlimited's missing a lot.

It is. Like Zoux said. A lot of 70-90 is missing. The 90's in particular are a desert. They just added most of the X-Men run.

You can read all of Amazing Spider-Man. Which is an epic undertaking.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Rhyno posted:

I'm torn between being impressed with that level of completionism, and confused why someone would do that. It just sounds like that's going to lead to reading a lot of books he doesn't like and have no impact on the DC books he does like, purely because "they're DC, gotta know what's going on in Doomed".

Same thing with the Marvel guy.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

DrProsek posted:

I'm torn between being impressed with that level of completionism, and confused why someone would do that. It just sounds like that's going to lead to reading a lot of books he doesn't like and have no impact on the DC books he does like, purely because "they're DC, gotta know what's going on in Doomed".

It could be a disorder or he legit enjoys the entire thing. If the latter, good on him for having the money to enjoy his hobby.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.
Ian Levine (northern soul DJ, songwriter, biggest twat in Dr Who fandom) claims to have every DC comic ever published. Not sure if that's ever been verified but it's definitely something I can believe of him.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Shameless posted:

Ian Levine (northern soul DJ, songwriter, biggest twat in Dr Who fandom) claims to have every DC comic ever published. Not sure if that's ever been verified but it's definitely something I can believe of him.

I assume it is, because if someone had a copy of something and he didn't, he'd be crying for them to be hung from the highest yardarm in the land.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

I assume it is, because if someone had a copy of something and he didn't, he'd be crying for them to be hung from the highest yardarm in the land.

Oh indeed, he is the pettiest of men.

Found this board post from 2005 where he got the last one he needed:
http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2637821&fpart=1

Edit: He's petty not pretty

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Shameless posted:

He's got an Action Comics #1 and Detective Comics #27 and every other million dollar holy grail? Really?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm not sure if he claims they're all original printings. Detective 27 and Action 1 have been reprinted a lot.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

He's got an Action Comics #1 and Detective Comics #27 and every other million dollar holy grail? Really?

Apparently so, and stuff that's much rarer than those. Browsing that collectors forum he got a "fair" graded copy of Action 1 for 30k and was looking to restore it. Seriously if he says he has them, he has them. He is a massive plum, especially in Dr Who circles, but I don't think he's ever been caught in a lie.

Gaz-L posted:

I'm not sure if he claims they're all original printings. Detective 27 and Action 1 have been reprinted a lot.

From what I can gather, he does have a lot of lower graded comics that he's had restored. E.g. He's got a super rare issue of "Double Action" but the cover is a photocopied recreation. Seriously doubt he'd do reprints though, that wouldn't be like him at all. Based on his forum posting the only DC stuff he's missing is giveaway comics, that sort of stuff.

Shameless fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 2, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

CapnAndy posted:

The man basically made it big by exploiting a whole bunch of boy bands to the tune of millions of dollars. And if I remember correctly he only has a confirmed complete collection post-Crisis.

For reference, this dude pays people who used to be The Doctor to star in his fan films of Doctor Who that he wrote and only he is able to see. That's how much money he has. Getting a complete DC collection would "only" run, at most, a couple million dollars in comparison.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

CapnAndy posted:

Not every copy sells for the record amount. That's why there are different grades.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Toxxupation posted:

The man basically made it big by exploiting a whole bunch of boy bands to the tune of millions of dollars. And if I remember correctly he only has a confirmed complete collection post-Crisis.

For reference, this dude pays people who used to be The Doctor to star in his fan films of Doctor Who that he wrote and only he is able to see. That's how much money he has. Getting a complete DC collection would "only" run, at most, a couple million dollars in comparison.

Found a pic of him with what are apparently the rarest in his collection.

But yeah, he made a fuckton of cash out of boy bands. Lawrence Miles even wrote of him "The only man Gary Barlow can't find anything nice to say about"

Shameless fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 2, 2016

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Wow. And you guys answered my followup question already, which was going to be "how does a DJ/songwriter afford that".

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

Auralsaurus Flex posted:

I've never played it, but it sounds like you're talking about Cash 'n Guns.

That was it. Not complicated at all (saying Reservoir Dogs may have made y'all think there's more to it than there is. I don't think anyone's secretly a cop), but it delivers "you and your friends pointing guns at each other and yelling over a pile of cash" with very little fuss.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Toxxupation posted:

That's gotta be worth a pretty penny, considering he's got...what, a complete collection of every Ultimate Universe comic ever printed, for starters?

Did he have every 90s variant? Because even though they were created for the sole purpose of being collected having every single one would actually be pretty loving rare.

I'm pretty sure he only bought the main covers in most cases. Current Marvel is probably driving him insane.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

man that's a genuinely really impressive form of obsession at least. Like on the 'oh man what's going on here' scale I for some reason rank that higher than a more narrow 'I own literally every Iron-Man product I can get my hands on'. I have no idea why though.

Also I'm just jealous of whatever living space that dude is in, that must at least dominate a good sized room.

When I met him he was a freelance software engineer and was loaded. He once brought in pictures of the house he built and the entire basement was shelved for comic storage with constant climate control and stuff. It was pretty swank.

Die Laughing posted:

Were you friends with Jeph Loeb? I'm pretty sure he has every Marvel book from some point in the seventies to current.

Didn't he sell a large chunk of that when his son got sick?

DrProsek posted:

I have no idea if Marvel guy (Paul maybe?) even read half of what he bought.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

On average I probably get 12-15 new releases a week, and there's usually back issues and trades from sales on top of that.
It was really bad when DC had three weekly series running and I was often hitting 20.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Toxxupation posted:

As I understand it, Levine actually made his fortune twice - the first time was in the 1970s and 1980s when he parleyed his career as the number-one DJ at the Blackpool Mecca into songwriting and production, which made him a mint because he was on the Hi-NRG train before it left the station. Then he lost most of it after he poured his money into a record label which was going to feature all the old Motown stars from the 1960s recording songs that he'd written (more or less the musical equivalent of conscripting Sylvester McCoy to appear in his Doctor Who fan films), which predictably failed. Then he made it back in the boy band boom in the 1990s.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm reading The Black Casebook (because I'm doing a Morrison Batman readthrough) and Golden Age Batman is the craziest loving poo poo ever.

About halfway through I was like "I bet Batman dressed up as 'Wingman' for no good loving reason" and YEP. But I guess weird emotional torture of Robin is worth any amount of impersonation.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

As I understand it, Levine actually made his fortune twice - the first time was in the 1970s and 1980s when he parleyed his career as the number-one DJ at the Blackpool Mecca into songwriting and production, which made him a mint because he was on the Hi-NRG train before it left the station. Then he lost most of it after he poured his money into a record label which was going to feature all the old Motown stars from the 1960s recording songs that he'd written (more or less the musical equivalent of conscripting Sylvester McCoy to appear in his Doctor Who fan films), which predictably failed. Then he made it back in the boy band boom in the 1990s.

It's really weird for me because I'm a Blackpool boy and my Mum and Dad first met in the Mecca, they were both huge Northern Soul fans and Ian Levine is someone they absolutely idolised.

Then comes the day when I'm on some Who forum and have to ask my Mum "This Ian Levine fella you're always banging on about..."

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The only time I read digital is if I bought a big collection in a Humble Bundle or from a sale. I like physical books way too much.

Still haven't worked out a good way to store singles on shelves, but I mostly buy trades anyway.

I'm interested in Comixology Unlimited, but I need to have a tablet first.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Dang, y'all get a lot of books. My perspective may be skewed at the moment since a bunch of the indies I was reading have wrapped up or are on hiatus at the moment, though. I think Descender is my only non-Marvel book left right now. (I've switched to trade-waiting on Southern Bastards cuz I like it better that way, but otherwise ...)

I'm only getting 13 a month right now. :ohdear:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Dang, y'all get a lot of books. My perspective may be skewed at the moment since a bunch of the indies I was reading have wrapped up or are on hiatus at the moment, though. I think Descender is my only non-Marvel book left right now. (I've switched to trade-waiting on Southern Bastards cuz I like it better that way, but otherwise ...)

I'm only getting 13 a month right now. :ohdear:

I only read like five or six new release comic books a month. I read a ton of old poo poo though, like last year I read every issue of Ultimate Spider-Man, and a few months ago I read every issue of Post-Crisis Wonder Woman.

If there's a weekly like Batman Eternal that number goes up.

e: like right before Rebirth and some of these ending I was reading:
Batman
Batgirl
Grayson
Midnighter
Robin, Son of Batman

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 3, 2016

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I think I average 8 or so a week. I know I probably buy more than average, but gently caress... 1-3 a week? Why go every week? Go once a month, save gas and pick up an extra book.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I was going to make fun of

Teenage Fansub posted:

On average I probably get 12-15 new releases a week, and there's usually back issues and trades from sales on top of that.
It was really bad when DC had three weekly series running and I was often hitting 20.

I was going to make fun of you until I realized I drink more than 15 beers in bars a week and even if it's a double issue a comic book is cheaper than a pint, so unless you're also a booze hound you are probably both healthier and have more fiscal sense than me.

When I was regularly buying singles I went a bit nuts at first, then just made a hard and fast rule of 5 books a month.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I enjoy everything I'm pulling (except for the the Final Days of Superman and Earth 2 I was reading out some obligation.) I don't feel like I need to reel myself back, unless I really had to have $40ish a week to go elsewhere.

I feel much worse about my game spending, just because there isn't the time to keep up and stop things piling up in the backlog.

e: Like, spending less than an hour reading three or four comics most days doesn't seem like an insane amount of time to give to one of your favorite things.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 3, 2016

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Did you guys know Michael Keaton was cast because his face naturally forms a Bat-symbol

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

So I'm on The Clown at Midnight in Morrison's Batman run, and I have to ask - is this comic just a product of its time or something? Like did anyone here read it back in 2007 when it came out and was the whole lovely sub-SFM/Garry's Mod-quality graphics good and/or effective, or the unbelievably purple prose impactful and interesting? Because man this issue comes across as actively repellent when reading it nearly a decade removed as part of a run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Toxxupation posted:

So I'm on The Clown at Midnight in Morrison's Batman run, and I have to ask - is this comic just a product of its time or something? Like did anyone here read it back in 2007 when it came out and was the whole lovely sub-SFM/Garry's Mod-quality graphics good and/or effective, or the unbelievably purple prose impactful and interesting? Because man this issue comes across as actively repellent when reading it nearly a decade removed as part of a run.

Even at the time a lot of us went "oh Jesus, Grant, buddy, this idea could have been executed miles better".

Wait until you see its sequel in the Batman, Inc. run.

• Locked thread