Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I just finished the first book in Garth Ennis's Punisher Run. (Born, In The Beginning, Kitchen Irish)

My only real exposure to Garth Ennis before now was some of his stuff on Hellblazer. I admit that I was on the fence on if I should read it or not because Ennis to me goes hand and hand with 90s edgy storytelling. "Ok, Punisher shoots this guy in the face with a shotgun AND HE'S STILL WALKING" "Oh Bro, that is hosed UP! :350:" Punisher definitely hits you with the grim and the nihilism like truck, but I never read Preacher or The Boys so I have no clue if the truck that hit me was just some crappy pick up or a full sized Mack. I usually have very little patience for what can be considered "Edgy" because that usually means "What's the most shocking think we can show the reader" mainly because it comes off as Middle schooler-ish and it rarely holds up for long. In Punisher MAX it works though. With maybe a few exceptions it never feels gratuitous or stupid.

I really liked Born. It is an origin story that spares the part of the story we know. Frank's family is killed and he spends the rest of his life killing everyone who he think's deserves it. But that's not the focus of the story. Instead we go to Vietnam and show that Frank Castle loves violence. Someone who grew to love warfare and felt the world only made sense when he was putting lead into someone he feels deserves it. His family dying is nothing more than an excuse. The Punisher is what he is because war is all he knows. He is the result of a culture that worships war for war's sake.

gently caress Glaticus, Magneto, Apocalypse, Dr. Doom, Hydra or any over villain or force in the MCU. The Punisher might be the most frightening person in the Marvel Universe.

Kitchen Irish was good as a crime story. Almost to the point where I wish The Punisher wasn't involved. Nesbitt is a great example of a antagonist that you never really see. To the very end, these people allowed this evil old fucker to control them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Yeah, I feel like what ever plans Morrison had set up for Batman Inc had to be scrapped and rewritten because of the loving reboot. Morrison's idea was suppose to involving a bunch of character's from Batman's past, even the Outsiders. (Which by the end was basically the dumping ground for characters that DC had zero idea what to do with.) New 52 Happens and all of the sudden A bunch of people from Batman's past are unusable because they never happened. Despite the fact that Inc was a pre 52 story that was going to be allowed to continue in a new continuity. I think there was a few books that wen't into the reboot just continuing as if nothing happened, which gave the impressing that the N52 reboot was really half assed and a desperate attempt to boost sales. I kind of agree with Morrison being sick of it by the end. The ending is Batman being told he's a little boy playing with his toys in his parent's basement.

I do want a series of the Native American Batman and Robin though. Batman without the limitless budget and in the country? Yes Please.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 6, 2016

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

It took Doctor Light to rape city. Did you know he likes to rape? Did you know he was killed by spectre during Rape role play of prostitutes that are dressed like teen titans? Did I mention he likes rape?

But what are his views on Sexual Assault?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

I'm up to The Slavers in Garth Ennis' Punisher run.

First off I fully get now what Ennis is one of the best writers today. Hell these books made me a fan. That said, both books left me feeling this cold, emptiness inside and...not a lot of stuff can do that to me.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Madkal posted:

If that's how you feel and you haven't started Slavers yet I suggest you hold off on reading it and go play with your pets and enjoy some sunshine or watch a comedy or do something happy.

No I read Slavers...just...drat...

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

3) Not frequently working with Steve Dillon.

You know, Sylvester Stallone MIGHT make a good Punisher.

Edit: Anyway, Does Preacher still hold up?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

site posted:

The Slavers is the best arc in MAX imo, but you're still a ways off from arguably the most important arc, so don't give up just yet!

I am really enjoying the run overall. Slavers was great, Up is down and Black is white is amazing (How does the Punisher act when you actively piss him off?) and Kitchen Irish is a good crime story. But it is the kind of story where the villains are more interesting than the hero. THe only arc that made me scratch my head was Mother Russia. The first arc of the run is The Punisher saying no to the Government about doing wet work for them, but he will do THIS mission because Nick Fury asked him and there is a little girl's life on the line? It felt like they had an idea for a story line but then realized they wrote themselves into a corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

After finally getting all four volumes of the Deluxe edition of The Invisibles, i'm giving it another shot after reading the first few trades during college. God...drat this thing is dense. It's like every major theme Grant Morrison ever had in his works is allowed to run wild here, and I'm not even done with the first volume, only up to 23: Things Fall Apart. If you ever do try to attempt this, go into it like a Thomas Pychon novel, don't try to think about how all these different scenes tie together, just focus on what's happening now.

• Locked thread