Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's June already and nobody else made a thread. So here's a thread for June.

Your topic for this month is...I don't know, uh, discuss your favorite...poo poo, I really have nothing.

Keep talking about superheroes fighting the devil, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

June starts with a J so what if we made the thread about the best character ever whose name begins with that letter? This is now Jimmy Olsen Month. Pyf Jimmy Olsen.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

DrProsek posted:

I agree with your suggestion, but what does that second half of your post have to do with the first half?

Jubilee can have July, the only month anybody uses fireworks.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Madkal posted:

Only for you yanks. For the poms, it would be November.

I dont think small fluffy dogs should be given fireworks, sorry.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Madkal posted:

But he had the attitude of a teenager. Really Jimmy Olsen is all of us.

Yeah Jimmy Olsen is real wish fulfillment for comic book nerds. He's grown up, has his own place, is a huge fan of Superman, but he also gets to be Superman's best buddy.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I like trade paperbacks better than anything else. If I didn't want to keep up with stuff as it comes out (or if DC would reliably collect stuff better) I might just stick with trades. Mostly I just can't justify keeping huge boxes of monthly comics around anymore. Maybe order those 29 other comics and get them custom bound.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Dang, y'all get a lot of books. My perspective may be skewed at the moment since a bunch of the indies I was reading have wrapped up or are on hiatus at the moment, though. I think Descender is my only non-Marvel book left right now. (I've switched to trade-waiting on Southern Bastards cuz I like it better that way, but otherwise ...)

I'm only getting 13 a month right now. :ohdear:

I only read like five or six new release comic books a month. I read a ton of old poo poo though, like last year I read every issue of Ultimate Spider-Man, and a few months ago I read every issue of Post-Crisis Wonder Woman.

If there's a weekly like Batman Eternal that number goes up.

e: like right before Rebirth and some of these ending I was reading:
Batman
Batgirl
Grayson
Midnighter
Robin, Son of Batman

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 3, 2016

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Did you guys know Michael Keaton was cast because his face naturally forms a Bat-symbol

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Ive read through Morrison's run a few times now and somehow I forget that issue exists every single time and I get to be horrified all over again.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

That prose issue is really the only bad part of Morrison's Batman

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

boom boom boom posted:

He's a boxer who made it 74. Not exactly a great candidate for the "Why him, Lord?" treatment

I definitely don't want to tell people how sad they should be about anybody dying but I honestly thought he died like, decades ago.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Except for Morrison loving up the ending of Son of the Demon so that Talia date-rapes Bruce instead of them essentially being a happily married couple. I can still be upset about that, right?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

CharlestheHammer posted:

He is the comic book guy in real life.

Except for the part where he is legitimately, extremely talented and successful in the medium he's criticizing

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Well to be fair you have not read the entire story. The rest of Batman Inc post new 52 does answer some of those questions.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Toxxupation posted:

I think when he's good, he's really, really good; again, really liked Batman and Son/Black Glove/R.I.P., especially the last one (which is probably the best Batman story I've ever read). I just think that as a writer he comes across as self-satisfied and he lapses into his own internal language and themes, so reading his stuff becomes more about translation then comprehension. Which isn't very fun, because then I have to sort of figure out what the gently caress he means, and it's just some prosaic mess of theming.

Yeah but I'm gonna read Snyder's run first until I hit Batman, Inc's publication date.

You should read Tomasi's Batman & Robin from the reboot alongside that, it's really good and dovetails nicely with the last bit of Inc. It's the most consistently good Batman book in the reboot and I say that as a horrible Scott Snyder apologist.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Zero Year is absolutely going to go down as one of the best Batman stories ever and probably Snyder's best work. He is still writing Batman so who knows, he might top it, but it doesn't seem likely. I was completely unprepared for it to be as good as it is the first time I read it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Oh my god yeah, that scene in the abandoned building with the swat team is absolutely incredible.

I honestly can't decide which one is better.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The only thing they seem to care about in these recolors is making sure everything is the color that it actually is.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Cyborg is one of those characters who should have been left in the past, like say Banshee. They don't work at all outside of their normal team setting (teen titans in cyborgs case). Because DC has insisted on putting the same square jawed white men from the 60s on the Justice League though, they know they can't ever get rid of Cyborg because they have so few black heroes left. So they keep trying to make him happen, but nobody likes Cyborg. The only people who do are Teen Titans fans, but now they've retconned it so he was never even on the Teen Titans anyway. It's the worst of both worlds especially considering they've got Mr. Terrific who would fit the same position they're trying to force Cyborg into much better.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Rhyno posted:

Banshee was awesome, what the hell man?

Begorrah!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Cyborg would have been a great fit for the Justice League before the reboot, when the universe had been going for thirty years and there was a hip new teenage supergroup on the scene. That was the time for the original Teen Titans to grow up and move on like the New Mutants did back in the day.

e: he'd still be a boring character but the justice league has never turned away boring characters

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

In truth, I hate every comic book character and writer

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I could really live the entire rest of my life without seeing Glowy Eye Frowny Face Superman again. Like at this point that is his natural, resting state

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Die Laughing posted:

She already does that pretty much. Also, Azzarello already covered why she wears them: They're for your protection, not hers.

Yeah but that's new to the Azz run where she's half god. Squizzle's answer is actually pretty close to how it's worked for the majority of Wonder Woman comics, except a lot of the time she isn't Superman-tough and can actually be shot.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

As someone who was reading that poo poo as it came out let me tell you loving everybody cared about the detectives. Sam and Twitch were like the breakout characters of 1997. The zeitgeist had passed by the time they actually got their own spinoff series.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Endless Mike posted:

Which is a shame since it was early Bendis doing what Bendis does best.

Writing Spider-Man?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Out of everything to criticize about the Rocksteady Batman games, you picked the combat?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

You should play it on Hard where all the icons are hidden if you find them too hand-holdy.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

FEAR takedowns are so much Goddamn fun. Not to mention the quickfire gadgets. The environmental takedowns. And the team-up takedowns.

Arkham Knight is incredible

e: Like I had so, so many completely organic bad-rear end Batman moments playing that game. I'd bash through a window or something and take out five dudes, methodically, efficiently, the stuff of pure Batman, and it's all just made possible by the game. It's not like pre-scripted Cool Moments, there's so many opportunities to make your own Cool Moments and they all felt so incredibly natural. I love that game so much.

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 15, 2016

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

poo poo I loved the Batmobile too. I got the True Ending in Arkham Knight, and I may just go back and 200% that poo poo, since talking about it all day has really made me want to play it again.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

On the other hand, just do all the side stuff, because it's not that hard and it's pretty fun.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

As much as I like the game you're not missing much from the 'real' ending.

At least to 200% it saves your Riddler progess from the first playthrough so you don't have to do that part again.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

hup posted:

Yeah but you get the best boss battle in the game with Riddler.

Edit: you can play the entire game from start to finish with alt costumes, too (you lose the damage over time and the masks don't animate in the handful of scenes where you demask, but that's a small price to constantly be zur en arrhing everywhere)

E2: vv the expansion adds a Killer Croc fight! vv

Also Catwoman's DLC wouldn't make much sense if you don't beat the Riddler in the main game

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Toxxupation posted:

Is world war hulk good?

Planet Hulk is good, World War Hulk not so much.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Gaz-L posted:

To be fair, he doesn't actually end up with Fiorentino in MIB.

He's talking about Tommy Lee Jones.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Well it's a bittersweet love story, but I don't think the criteria for "love interest" is "they have to end up together". Tis better to have loved and lost.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Squizzle posted:

To the contrary, the owner of a lonely heart is much better than the owner of a broken heart.

I've heard tell that one car in an alley is better than a vacant lot.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Squizzle posted:

I see, my friend, that you believe in life after love. I respect your view, but there is something deep inside me saying I really don't think you're strong enough.

Look I know how I might come across but just try to love me if you can.

I'm pretty sure I am strong enough to be your man.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Squizzle posted:

Baby, don't hurt me.

You know I'm forever yours.

Faithfully

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I love Carol but her comics have not been that great. She deserves better.

• Locked thread