Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Travis343 posted:

Jubilee can have July, the only month anybody uses fireworks.
Tell that to my neighbors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

Wait till that artist returns in Batman Inc to depict cyberspace. It's horrific. It's great.

Different artist. Still terrible both times, agreed.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

Did The Black Casebook come out right before Morrison's Batman RIP run? Because I'm trying to see how anyone could reasonably remember a bunch of super obscure Golden/Silver Age Batman stories (and Robin Dies At Dawn) without it, or how the run makes any loving sense whatsoever if you don't have those stories fresh in your mind. Or is Bat-Mite/Zur-En-Arr/Club of Superheroes more memorable than I assumed?
You seem very upset about this Batman run.

Just chillax, enjoy some high-quality Batmanning about, and take to heart that you don't actually need to know anything about those past stories. They're referenced, they're out there if you want to read them, but you don't need them. I have never read the Black Casebook issues, but that era of Grant's Batman is still one of my favorites hands down.

Grant did not expect you, the casual reader, to have read the entirety of the Silver Age. Or any of it, really. Like, the Batmen of Nations; like, there was an international group of ersatz Batmen once. OK, that's all you need to know, and you learn that within the comic. All of the characters' relationships is established within the comics, too.

It is dense, sure, and it only gets more complicated (hellooooooo, Return of BW #6!), but that's part of the fun, and what makes this run stand out so much. Don't fight it, roll with it, baby!

redbackground fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 4, 2016

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Travis343 posted:

Except for Morrison loving up the ending of Son of the Demon so that Talia date-rapes Bruce instead of them essentially being a happily married couple. I can still be upset about that, right?

Yes.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

Thoughts:

Final Crisis is too complicated for its own good and felt like it was actively trying to make its readers feel stupid for not getting it.
What didn't you get?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I'm actually re-reading Final Crisis right now as Prime Bathroom Reading Material, and man, it is just drat fantastic. Superman Beyond is better than I remember in like, every way.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Die Laughing posted:

Someone made my favorite avatar from that. Where Superman is holding the ledge while a animated Mandrakk spirals towards nothingness. "I'm in a self assembling hyper story! And it's trying its best to destroy me!"
That was me!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
oh hi double post

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

Reading Battle for the Cowl I'm reminded how much Jason Todd is just the WOOOOOOOOOOORST holy poo poo he's the worst, he's just the loving worst.

What lovely list are you using that didn't include Morrison's own comics but had BFTC in there?

redbackground fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 6, 2016

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I would say it's a common opinion that Kitchen Irish is the weakest arc of PMAX. The upcoming Russian/Fury stuff might be my favorite. The whole run is pretty stellar, though.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 6, 2016

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

You started reading Ennis Punisher and you didn't start with Welcome Back Frank?
I wouldn't start reading PMax with WBF either. They have nothing to do with each other.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

He didn't specify the MAX run!
Those are all MAX comics! :11tea:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

The first book in Ennis' Punisher run is Welcome Back Frank!
It's not the first book of the max run, which is what he's reading! :burger:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

I liked Battle For the Cowl. At the very least, it had Dick Grayson beating the unholy poo poo out of Jason Todd, so it's not all bad.

This one.
That list is kind of jacked, Batman #682-683 take place between Final Crisis 5 and 6.

Should've just asked us :colbert:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

Also again, cyberspace issue was traaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaash.

And it had such a good tease, too. :negative:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

In fact, I'm pretty sure that after he heard about the ending of Countdown to Infinite Crisis, Kevin Maguire went back to the last issue of said mini before it went to print and changed the art on the last page to show Blue Beetle and Max Lord sharing a friendly laugh.
Yup.

edit: from the comments below:
"He (Maguire) mentions in his Masterworks interview Dan Didio excitedly showed him the art from Countdown to Infinite Crisis of Lord blowing Beetle’s head off and thinking Maguire would dig it like him."

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

Hot Take: Zero Year is better than Year One.

It's not, but it's a solid, long-form story I was expecting much less from initially. Ridder is where Snyder shines, not his oooh, spooooooooky Joker poo poo.

The concentrated greatness of Year One over its four issues is a hell of a beast.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

Outside of "Yes father, I shall become a bat" and the dinner scene - which, admittedly, are two of the greatest scenes ever printed in comics - Year One didn't really do much for me.

Also I really liked the recontextualization of Bruce Wayne as an angry and very foolish young man over Year One where he's basically the Dark Knight the instant he arrives in Gotham. Like I really loved his open conflict and disdain he had for both Alfred and Gordon to start with, and Alfred calling him a coward/telling Bruce that he's the Batman to force everyone in Gotham to bear witness to how they abandoned him felt really effective.

Also, Bat Blimp.

I'm cool with the Bruce coming back in Y1 being a Bruce has already been doing his globetrotting preparation for his war on crime, so yeah, he's ready to get started. I also still underestimate, every single time, just how much more of a Gordon story it is, overall, and his relationship to his wife is simply crushing. Also, I am struggling to find it online, but it has the single best panel Mazzuchelli ever drew, the perfectly timed moment of Bruce pushing the homeless woman out of the way as Gordon grabs for control of the truck bearing down on them. I could re-read Year One over and over again and never get tired of it. Almost every line hits like a fist, and Mazz just made you feel like Gotham was a real damned place; the cityscapes, the face-work, the cinematic, but not "widescreen" paneling...a pure delight.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 7, 2016

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

I prefer Capullo to Mazz, gotta say. Also the coloration on Zero Year is just incredible- the encroaching darkness punctuated by so much stark neon giving it a sort of nightmarish fantasy feeling, like a drug trip gone bad.

The coloring of zero year is probably my favorite part of the whole thing.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Toxx, have you read the other Miller/Mazz team-up, Daredevil: Born Again?

bobkatt013 posted:

What version of year one did you read? There is one trade were the coloring ruins it.
This is true, avoid all newer printings of Year One since like, 2012.

edit, added link.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

But what about Batman: Earth One?
I have literally never heard anyone offer any kind of opinion, passionately negative or positive, about it. It has failed to make any sticking impact whatsoever.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 7, 2016

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Top 3 Worst Re-Colorings:
1) Flex Mentallo
2) Killing Joke
3) Sandman

The only recoloring that I know of that is an improvement over the original is Miracleman, and even then, poor decisions were made.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Die Laughing posted:

I don't even know where the picture is from.

And Arkham Knight is on sale for $25, all the DLC included. It's going to be a long weekend of Batmanning.
Quick tip: Upgrade your batmobile weaponry and poo poo before anything else when given the option, especially things like rate of fire. You'll be using it so much more, comparatively, than any random special move you'll maybe use once. Trust me on this. You don't even know just how many drone fights there are.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 18, 2016

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

hup posted:

Yeah but you get the best only boss battle in the game with Riddler.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

hup posted:

E2: vv the expansion adds a Killer Croc fight! vv
Yeah, but it's just a re-skin of that other fight, which is hardly a boss battle.

I did enjoy the Season of Infamy chapters quite a bit, honestly.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

It's not a movie but the amazing Happy Endings
Good answer, good answer

I will toss Rome & Jewel onto the pile as well.

edit: and uh, pretty much this list. Shame it can't be reordered by date, though.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 22, 2016

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
The idea that leaving the EU could possibly lead to a good chuck of the UK also breaking up is just astonishing. Go Scotland Go!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

The big problem with Batman, Incorporated was how boring all the alternate Batmans were. The only ones I really liked were Knight and Squire, or rather Beryl's Knight.
Man-of-Bats, with his own museum and his keeping things in line in his small, sad, neglected corner of the world was the best, sorry.

Beryl is always a delight, though, especially in GMozz's JLA Classified arc.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I've been watching Community on Netflix, and all the people who told me Donald Glover "isn't funny" and Alison Brie is "obnoxious" were horrible liars who probably voted Yes on Brexit.
Glover is absolutely great on Community. It's everything else where he's just the worst.

Alison Brie is always a delight, that's just science.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

A lot of talented, pretty actresses have to weather a storm of horrible rom-coms until they can take good roles.
I think we've all been there.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

So, no loss?
It'll be nice when you're banned again in like a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Argue posted:

I was thinking, Marvel has a couple of recurring characters who were intentionally designed to evoke DC characters (eg: Squadron Supreme, Sentry). Does DC have any recurring characters intentionally designed to evoke Marvel characters?
Would you like to know more?

• Locked thread