Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Travis343 posted:

June starts with a J so what if we made the thread about the best character ever whose name begins with that letter? This is now Jimmy Olsen Month. Pyf Jimmy Olsen.

Never change, Jimmy

Also this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Travis343 posted:

Jubilee can have July, the only month anybody uses fireworks.

Only for you yanks. For the poms, it would be November.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

muscles like this? posted:

I always thought it was weird that Silver Age Jimmy Olsen stories treated him like a teenager even though he was a grown rear end man who lived on his own.

But he had the attitude of a teenager. Really Jimmy Olsen is all of us.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I dropped 55 dollars this weekend on comics, but that is 2 weeks worth of comics (also I got some double issues because I buy for a friend who pays me back). Luckily my monthly titles are dropping a bit, but I usually find that I will have weeks with 2 comics to pickup, sometimes none at all, and then one week 8 titles come out and destroy me.
As for the digital vs physical, I still buy the titles I have been buying for years at the store, but new titles I get digitally. I like it this way because if I try a first issue and don't like it I don't have to worry about storing it anywhere. Also, I have been greatly downsizing my collection. Got a question for you goons though, how often do you re-read titles. I sometimes re-read trades but I hardly ever re-read single issues anymore like I did when I was younger.

StumblyWumbly posted:

Just came back from a meeting about a library renovation, and I want to thank most of you internet folks for being a relatively reasonable crowd. Most of you should be involved in community politics/policy, help dilute the crazy.

As someone who works in the library, I feel your pain. Did anyone in the community ask you why they should have to pay for the renovations seeing how they never use the library?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm surprised nobody seems to call Mikael Janin out on it.
Granted, most of the time it works for him. He usually does just enough free drawing on top, but...

Unless the story is about Lex replacing the Justice League with action figures.

Janin layouts are top notch so I can excuse his models.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

Went to a Mark Waid Q&A panel today and he said he read Captain America #2 and said everyone angry about the end of #1 is going to feel like a complete idiot by page 8.

Though if they're angry it's probably because they didn't read it, so that may not stand.

He also went on a rant about BvS that was fun.

Also saw Peter David yesterday and he was fun to listen to.

That is a lovely argument. Pretty much saying sure you are angry about something you read but you are an idiot because of something you haven't read yet.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Toxxupation posted:

Mark Waid sounds like a cool dude, especially considering it was very clear from what we got in 1 that something was up.

I met Waid. He is fun and is always happy to engage people who genuinely love comics. But he also has opinions and he doesn't care about how he phrases them.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I always got the feeling with the way Batman Inc ended even Grant was tired of it all.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Jordan7hm posted:

It was really weird to go directly from Wildman / Perez Teen Titans, which is the only time I've really ever even heard of Dr Light, to this.

My previous exposure to him was an issue in Suicide Squad where he goes to hell and there is a demon and poo poo. It's played for laughs. Then the next time I saw him he was a rapist. It was jarring.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Zero Year is great a top-notch action movie, while Year One is great as character study with action bits (though the action in the "abandoned" building was brilliant and tense). As much flack as Miller gets now, Year One is a masterclass in well paced storytelling. Zero Year is probably the most fun out of the two, but Year One was the better told story in my opinion. Also, it is definitely just as much (if not more) a Gordon story than a Batman story.
Also, Bruce wasn't fully formed when he got back to Gotham and made a poo poo load of mistakes. The one that stands out the most was the confronting the thieves on the outside staircase. Also confronting the pimp on the sidewalks and getting stabbed.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So, I like to read Hark! A Vagrant every now and then, and one of the issues had a link to this article, about Cyborg from DC comics. It opens with this:

I thought Cyborg was a cool character with neat abilities and a tragic and engaging backstory, whose growing popularity finally landed him a founding spot in the new Justice League, and even inclusion in the latest big movie. I always liked Cyborg and I especially liked him getting brought to the forefront in recent DC projects. I kinda think this article is projecting a whole bunch of crazy poo poo about castrations and "the white gaze" and now I'm not sure if I'm supposed to like Cyborg anymore. I guess he's not everyone's cup of tea, but at one point this article objects that Cyborg was an athlete in high school, because black people's bodies have to be put to put to some sort of use? But Cyborg's dad is black and a genius scientist who brings his son back to life as a robot man and I thought him being an athlete was meant to further illustrate the divide between father and son. I dunno. What do you guys think about Cyborg?

Also wow, the recolors to those old comics suck rear end, Killing Joke looks way better in its original form.

I read the article and it was pretty much some guy coming to a conclusion before doing any research, and then shoehorning everything he did find into that conclusion. In other words it was written without much behind it.
That being said, I loved Cyborg in the original Teen Titans and think it would have been a good idea for him to be in the Justice League, just like everyone else in the Titans. In a perfect world the Titans would have "graduated" to the Justice League and the Justice League would have moved on to the Justice Society.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

BigRed0427 posted:

I'm up to The Slavers in Garth Ennis' Punisher run.

First off I fully get now what Ennis is one of the best writers today. Hell these books made me a fan. That said, both books left me feeling this cold, emptiness inside and...not a lot of stuff can do that to me.

If that's how you feel and you haven't started Slavers yet I suggest you hold off on reading it and go play with your pets and enjoy some sunshine or watch a comedy or do something happy.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I still hold that Cyborg should have been put in the JL but about 12 years earlier.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

This thread has taught me that "owns" actually means "is loving horrible in every way imaginable."

The internets has provided ample opportunity for people to say that terrible things are secretly great. For instance, Batman and Robin is the best Batman film ever made.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The Yellow room scene with Green Lantern justifies All Star Batman. That scene in all its stupidity is great, but yea, the whole run is pretty lovely.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Burnham comes across with all negatives of Frank Quietly and not too many of the positives.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

CapnAndy posted:

How far in are you?

I am guessing 50 issues in at least. It spun it's wheels for 50 issues, than spun it's wheels in a different direction afterwards.
Still, I think Spawn would have been regarded better if it ended on issue 50 like it was supposed to.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

CapnAndy posted:

I'll bet you no later than 13 and no way he doesn't drop the book before 50.

Gaunab posted:

Going to surprise everyone and say that I got to 78. That's mainly because I just stopped reading the huge pages of text. There's some good ideas in there like the hellspawn being good when they come back so they can kill bad people and feed hell souls but who the hell cares about the detectives, Spawn's best friend and his ex-wife. Plus the way he's constantly bitching and getting his rear end kicked makes me believe that Todd McFarlene hates his own character. At least the art and huge 90's guns were entertaining.

I take payment in high fives and beers.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I will always have a soft spot for Curse of the Spawn, but the main series I read very infrequently. I fully gave up on the series a few issues after No. 50 though, as it just seemed to be more directionless than usual.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

site posted:

My bar is spiderman 2. So....not high.

Mine is Maximum Carnage but I haven't played games since I was 14.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Why is it that members of geek fandoms are so obsessed with putting down and fighting with their own?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
All I want is to know what love is.

I want you to show me.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Are there any comics where the baby boomers are the villains, like they are in real life?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Yvonmukluk posted:

The pound has apparently rolled back to a low not seen since 1985. The same year Marvel published a little story called the Jaspers' Warp.

Now I'm not saying Boris Johnson might be a mad reality warper, but...

Kind of fitting seeing as 1985 is the time period a lot of the voters who voted to leave remember fondly. Now if they can only re animate Thatcher's decomposing corpse.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

This was not the follow up to Punisher vs Archie I was expecting.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I thought Glover was pretty good and most of the cast was solid. Abed though I couldn't stand. Just his character I found very grating.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Donald Glover's character really was kind of bad. Now his performance was obviously great, but the character itself was weak and inconsistent. He'd switch from dumb jock to nerd to put-upon kid to sheltered dork to a young man coming to age. The uniting joke was... that he was dumb and naive I guess? That the character was mostly improvised makes sense.

But this wasn't really a problem because it was Donald Glover.

Pretty much non of the characters were the same as they were introduced in the first few episodes of season 1. This isn't really character growth (Jeff was probably the only character that had any growth as a character) but more of strange evolving and trying to figure out what the show actually was.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Bendis writes some great comics but I think he likes the slow burn/decompressed stuff a tad too much so quite a few of his comics feel like they are spinning their wheels over multiple issues.
One thing that you can say for Bendis and Johns is that when they are writing characters they love (Spiderman and Superman) they absolutely nail the characterization like no other.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Ghostlight posted:

Sometimes I order things from Amazon that aren't books.

They're CDs.

What the gently caress is a "CD" you dinosaur. My friends all listen to vinyl btw.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
When DC said they were catering to 40 year olds they weren't lying.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
You might be able to fully appreciate the genius that is Red Hood by then.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Jordan7hm posted:

I read Ex Machina over the past few days. I love Brian K Vaugn's work but holy poo poo the ending to that series was just so bad.

Generally I don't let bad endings ruin books for me, but I think the the second half of book 5 completely ruined Ex Machina and ensured I'll never re-read it.

I don't hate Ex Machina but I thought the first half was generally excellent and the ending was.....well it was a real downer.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
2005: Ultimates: Homeland Security.
Had to look to 2006 to see that my first CD order from Amazon was Jakalope's Born 4.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Which lucky goon is creating the new discussion thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

Did you ignore the two posts before yours?

I did not see them. Thank you volunteer End Me Scoob

• Locked thread