Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I like Wraith's poncho and actively didn't hate his pistol/whip. I'd like him better with slightly stronger desperado styling (a hat, e.g.) and less goober angst about having a cloud of offbrand Venom instead of a soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Your next av should be the Barbelith.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Redbackground is showing some next-level mastery in his smilies game tonight.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

TwoPair posted:

There are no bad characters, only bad writers.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

pyf Character Problems and how you would solve them

:psyduck: Why does Wonder Woman need the bracelets if she's Supermab-tough?

:eng101: Because the bracelets can block/deflect anything, no exceptions, full stop. Bullets, lasers, lazors, lightning bolts, telepathic assault, magnetic fields—bracelets can take 'em. Also, Wonder Woman can deflect things wherever she wants with the bracelets, even if it's a practically impossible thing like sending a bullet back 180° the way it came, or redirecting a lightning bolt sideways.

And that's how I'd solve the bracelets issue for Wonder Woman, thanks for reading and please contribute.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

To the contrary, the owner of a lonely heart is much better than the owner of a broken heart.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Travis343 posted:

I've heard tell that one car in an alley is better than a vacant lot.

I see, my friend, that you believe in life after love. I respect your view, but there is something deep inside me saying I really don't think you're strong enough.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Madkal posted:

All I want is to know what love is.

I want you to show me.

:agreed:

What is love?

Travis343 posted:

Look I know how I might come across but just try to love me if you can.

I'm pretty sure I am strong enough to be your man.

Baby, don't hurt me.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Also, Ultimates. Not a lot of people cared about old Avengers characters—or the Avengers as a team—when Ultimates came out and every human of woman born loved it (at the time). Hank's entire thing in Ultimates is being an abusive poo poo, so suddenly everyone thought of mainstream Hank mostly as a marital One-Punch Man.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Toxxupation posted:

This is actually a really fascinating point that makes me appreciate the character more, but I still feel like a vast majority of the times I've read his appearances so far his character is "Beat his wife and feels bad about it, also did I mention he beat his wife?" over a flawed guy with demons.

There are a million super-scientist heroes, and it's free to create a Dr. Scienceguy Ph.D. for someone's supporting cast.There are at least two more Ant-Mans, one more Yellowjacket, Wasp, and god knows how many other shrinking heroes available. Ever since Pym became known as Wife-Beater Man, you as a writer only use him if you're willing to confront the spousal abuse aspect, or at least accept that a lot of readers will think of that when they see him on the page.

EMERGENCY EDIT, IMPORTANT!!!!!! There are also a lot of growing heroes.

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jun 23, 2016

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Well forum friends, there is a great issue confronting the comic books. That issue is: How will :siren:BREXIT:siren: affect Captain Britain's many super powers? Will his Energy Projection be negatively affected? Can he now lift (press) fewer tens of tons? Does he gain eye lazors that only hurt brown or Slavic people?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Is Sinn Fein still taking about a reunification referendum, or did someone walk that back while I was asleep?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

When Scotland leaves, Merlyn's going to show up and repossess the parts of Captain Britain's union jack suit that come from the Scottish flag.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Just thinking out loud, but Captain Britain should have a big silver hammer called the Sterling Pounder that grows or shrinks depending on how the GBP is performing in international markets.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Maybe add a short-statured comedy sidekick, in the Woozy Winks/Doiby Dickles tradition. I'm thinking it could be a pugnacious little red dragon guy whose name contains few or no vowels (e.g. Cwrffly Crrdwfdf, pron. "care Philly car diff").

Doesn't matter if he's a real dragon or a little fella dressed like a dragon. Maybe a talking sheep, dressed as a red dragon? Looking for ideas, here.

e: I for one am shocked and saddened that autocorrect fumbled on a word like Doiby.

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 24, 2016

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Aww man, I forgot to post my hottest Captain Britain take, about a new Captain Midlands, secret identity Hugh Kipper.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

He's from Shrewsbury and believes that Nightcrawler forced the rest of Excalibur to let Faiza join the team.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I'll go for BMB every time. Bendis is a good writer whose stylistic quirks don't fit well with big pop superhero genre work. Johns is a mediocre writer* who knows superhero genre stuff inside-out.

* Even a bad writer can turn in some good or at times excellent work. Johns has done some swell things, but his body of work as a whole is, in terms of craft, a moist fart into a paper bag.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

Holy buckets yes! Amazon Prime video is available by itself now and for only $9 a month.

Binge watch BTAS.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

So you're paying $9 more a year to NOT get free shipping?

If you can go month-to-month instead of having to do a full year at a time, it could be better for some people.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

That said, I love Prime as a second choice for literally every service. Netflix is better, but Prime fills in a bunch of weird gaps in the Netflix catalogue. Spotify owns and has a massive selection, but Prime's music service fills in a couple of gaps and more importantly leta me play exactly one song from my phone, without shuffling a playlist, unlike free-tier Spotify.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Skwirl posted:

People who can't manage a 50 dollar splurge once a year probably shouldn't be spending 9 bucks a month on an Internet streaming service.

Eeeeh constant cashflow can be a lot easier to handle than savings. You put $n away per month, and it can be tempting to use it for, like, an extra grocery trip in month three instead of holding on until month six. I've had a few years in dire financial straits, so I appreciate the idea of spending a small premium to defer temptation.

Plus, you could just do one month of service a couple of times a year, and catch up on all the shows you want to catch.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The Champions of Angor and their villains are the Avengers and a bunch of Marvel villains. It's never even been subtle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Everyone does tons of homages, ripoffs, and riffs. In any superhero work that runs long enough, you will eventually meet the Fantastic Four, Hulk, and at least five members of the Justice League. It's a cosmic law. You usually get Captain America as well, not infrequently combined with Superman in the Justice League.

• Locked thread