Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rhyno posted:

I knew a guy who obsessively bought every Marvel book printed. He had a complete collection of North America released Marvel comics from 1971-2009. 2009 is when I lost touch with him so I assume he has soldiered on.

Were you friends with Jeph Loeb? I'm pretty sure he has every Marvel book from some point in the seventies to current.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I think Jeph Loeb was probably the last person to use Bat Mite prominently before Morrison's run. Both wildly different interpretations, but they were both really well done.

Rhyno, you better tell me it's not true that he sold some of his collection while his son was sick. Sam Loeb died while my mom had cancer. She got better, but it made me a huge Jeph Loeb apologist.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

Did The Black Casebook come out right before Morrison's Batman RIP run? Because I'm trying to see how anyone could reasonably remember a bunch of super obscure Golden/Silver Age Batman stories (and Robin Dies At Dawn) without it, or how the run makes any loving sense whatsoever if you don't have those stories fresh in your mind. Or is Bat-Mite/Zur-En-Arr/Club of Superheroes more memorable than I assumed?

But yeah these issues might be the straight-up densest comics I've ever read. Seriously trying to envision anyone reading this comic monthly and making heads or tails of what's going on.

I never read any of those original stories, and still enjoyed the book enough to earn this avatar. Doogz's annotations just bumped it from very good to great. It is pretty dense, but it's a juicy cut of meat. Even divorced from the plot, the dialogue really sings.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I gotta dig out those issues this weekend. The 3D effects were a lot of fun. Someone made my favorite avatar from that. Where Superman is holding the ledge while a animated Mandrakk spirals towards nothingness. "I'm in a self assembling hyper story! And it's trying its best to destroy me!"

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

redbackground posted:

That was me!

Yeah! You rock. I think I'm about done with Grant in his undies. Whoever found that picture and bought it for me is some sort of saint though.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I like the new coloring better. The darker sky and darker Batman costume fit the story.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I can still remember clearly the preview for Geoff Johns' run on Teen Titans. Cyborg was plugged into the tower. Made me interested to learn more about him. There wasn't much to learn besides the general body horror of being a cyborg. Really fun run, but the older Titans definitely weren't the focus.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

The opening to Brad Meltzer's JLA has Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman going through pictures of potential members. The title page has one of them saying "Cyborg, welcome to the Justice League of America!" and he never gets invited.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Squizzle posted:

pyf Character Problems and how you would solve them

:psyduck: Why does Wonder Woman need the bracelets if she's Supermab-tough?

:eng101: Because the bracelets can block/deflect anything, no exceptions, full stop. Bullets, lasers, lazors, lightning bolts, telepathic assault, magnetic fields—bracelets can take 'em. Also, Wonder Woman can deflect things wherever she wants with the bracelets, even if it's a practically impossible thing like sending a bullet back 180° the way it came, or redirecting a lightning bolt sideways.

And that's how I'd solve the bracelets issue for Wonder Woman, thanks for reading and please contribute.

She already does that pretty much. Also, Azzarello already covered why she wears them: They're for your protection, not hers.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I haven't had time to finish either game, but from what I've played, they both own. I'm really jealous that some of you guys have the time/money to pour hours into games you don't like.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

How much is Arkham Knight on sale for? I was thinking about getting a physical copy from Amazin this week, but if the price is right.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I don't even know where the picture is from.

And Arkham Knight is on sale for $25, all the DLC included. It's going to be a long weekend of Batmanning.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Loeb's Nova is the closest the Nova concept has been to Marv Wolfman's original intent of making the next Spider-Man. Ed McGuiness makes him look amazing. Also check out Original Sin #0 after those Nova issues.

EDIT: I don't think he used his sons death to get work. He either pursued work that reminded him of his son, or Marvel gave him the work to help him get through it. Loeb is one of those guys that will get work regardless of quality. I'm glad he has a nice administrative position. Lonely days in front of a keyboard must have been maddening.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 21, 2016

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Same thing. Loeb created Sam Alexander.

Nova and Spider-Man being on the Avengers reminded me of something I heard about cinema. To avoid a black/white biracial relationship they would pair the black or white male with a hispanic woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

That unfunny joke reminded me of how we'll probably never see Nightrunner at DC, even if they remembered how stupid they are for not using Batman Inc.

• Locked thread