Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rand Brittain posted:

The Cyborg from the cartoons is a great, fun character, and if he doesn't fit tonally in today's DC comics, well, that pretty much tells you what's wrong with today's DC comics.

I know I'm super-late to this discussion so I hate to dredge up an old topic, but I really think this is a big, if not the big problem with (current) Cyborg. DC put him on the Justice League but he has no personality on the Justice League, and hell, he barely interacts with anyone. There's a funny set of panels from... I think Justice League? Maybe Batman and Robin?... anyway there's a scene where Captain Marvel Shazam magics up a ping-pong table in the Watchtower and Cyborg just stands there like "wow :geno:" hardly reacting to this poo poo. It's kind of like back when DC made Starfire a sexy murderer lady back at the start of the New 52: they are essentially failing to capitalize on a large potential demographic by making Cyborg a fun character closer to his cartoon counterpart that 20-somethings enjoyed/will remember. Yes there is tragedy in his origin and he can't be ha ha laughs all the time, but that's why he forms a surrogate family out of the other weird power-folk on the Teen Titans (or I guess the Justice League) in order to fit in. He's a man who is a robot! Have fun with that!

But hey, DC doesn't make comics for kids, so I guess fun is just a crazy pipe dream.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

Saying his personality is poorly defined implies he has a personality.

He was retconned into being a founding member of the justice league out of the most half-assed move at diversity ever, because DC realized how bad of a look it would be if their main book was a group of white guys (and one white lady) saving the planet. He's a glorified checkbox superhero, okay we have a POC supe on the main team so we don't have a race problem anymore, and his whole character reflects how he's included more to avoid controversy then for any real reason. He just...exists there. They never do anything that could be even somewhat construed as racist or offensive with him, and they desperately avoid any possible characterization that could be viewed as charged, so he just sorta exists as a formless gray void off to the side, technically a founding justice league member and that's it.

It's very obvious that editorial edict made him a founding justice league member, because cyborg as written in the new 52 mine as well not exist. Even beyond whether or not Johns was interested in the character (I'm gonna guess that he wasn't) , he comes off as a diversity quota superhero and, more than any other, had his storylines monitored heavily to remove any possible point of potential conflict. Designed by committee in its purest sense.

He does, writers just don't use it. Here, let me tell you his (or at least a version of his) personality based solely on half-forgotten memories of a cartoon I watched 13 years ago: Cyborg is a guy who likes hanging out with his friends, bad jokes, video games, and cars. He also knows a lot about technology, probably because he's half robot, and he's had to kind of learn about how his parts work. He has a lot of issues with being half-robot, but he hides those behind a facade of being a loud jokester.

Like, I get that you have a hateboner for the guy and that's fine, but there is material to work with to make an actual character rather than just the Justice League's boom tube machine and black guy. Maybe Cyborg does suck now, but he doesn't have to. There are no bad characters, only bad writers. Except for Deathstroke. He's a bad character.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 10, 2016

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Sorry I guess I misinterpreted your post as a condemnation of the character across all mediums.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

That's not a bad character, that's a character so boring I forget he exists regularly.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I was just disappointed because I was hyped when the game announced Scarecrow would be the main villain so I thought it would be all trippin out sequences all the time but instead all it meant was you just got loving Joker hanging out like an rear end in a top hat providing commentary on the game.

And yeah the Batmobile can eat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Argue posted:

I was thinking, Marvel has a couple of recurring characters who were intentionally designed to evoke DC characters (eg: Squadron Supreme, Sentry). Does DC have any recurring characters intentionally designed to evoke Marvel characters?

Apparently Harley Quinn just introduced a knockoff of Deadpool, but there's no way in the world I'm reading it. You could argue that Steel is totally ripping off Iron Man. And Aquaman's been stealing Namor's schtick since the 40s. Namor's just lucky he didn't have an embarrassing cartoon back in the day or every writer would write a story about how "No Namor is cool"

• Locked thread