Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I have read the comic books and I have determined that they are alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Travis343 posted:

June starts with a J so what if we made the thread about the best character ever whose name begins with that letter? This is now Jimmy Olsen Month. Pyf Jimmy Olsen.

I agree with your suggestion, but what does that second half of your post have to do with the first half?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Travis343 posted:

Jubilee can have July, the only month anybody uses fireworks.

But June is the release of X-Men Apocalypse in China, where Jubilee makes her big screen debut as a character with like 3 lines, never uses her powers, and (iirc) is never actually referred to as Jubilee! Just what the fans always wanted!

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Choco1980 posted:

So exactly like her role in the original trilogy then?

Basically, but this time there was a bit more attention for Jubilee pre-release so there was more hope.

Also there was this which was far better advertising than XM:A deserved:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kniQrk9jw0

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

Is this low?

I normally pull at least 8 a week. This week was heavier due to Rebirth, but I think the last time I pulled 1-3 a week was when I was first getting started and only read like 6 books total.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I have a dude buying every single DC book every week. He frequently spends $75+ per visit.

Do you have evidence he reads them, or is this some collector/hardcore DC fanboy thing? If he actually reads them all, good lord :stare:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Rhyno posted:

We talk about the books all the time so I assume he reads everything.

I knew a guy who obsessively bought every Marvel book printed. He had a complete collection of North America released Marvel comics from 1971-2009. 2009 is when I lost touch with him so I assume he has soldiered on.

I'm torn between being impressed with that level of completionism, and confused why someone would do that. It just sounds like that's going to lead to reading a lot of books he doesn't like and have no impact on the DC books he does like, purely because "they're DC, gotta know what's going on in Doomed".

Same thing with the Marvel guy.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

I enjoy everything I'm pulling (except for the the Final Days of Superman and Earth 2 I was reading out some obligation.) I don't feel like I need to reel myself back, unless I really had to have $40ish a week to go elsewhere.

I feel much worse about my game spending, just because there isn't the time to keep up and stop things piling up in the backlog.

e: Like, spending less than an hour reading three or four comics most days doesn't seem like an insane amount of time to give to one of your favorite things.

My game backlog is way harder for me to justify than my comics. I complain about having dozens of unread books and I keep buying more, but at least the books I buy don't all go on sale for 50% off a month after I bought them and left them untouched.

I am a dummy that preordered The Division's season pass and that alone was a worse purchase than any comicbook I own :(.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

X-O posted:

There are plenty of bad characters, that old chestnut is not even remotely true.

I don't really think Cyborg would fall under this though because he's not a character who has inherently problematic parts or is otherwise a bad concept. He's a dude who's part robot and wants to stop bad peoples, that should be pretty straightforward. He's just a dude nobody really bothered developing in New 52 but he's around a whole bunch anyway.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Soonmot posted:

Lot of wrong people in this thread, Jubilee is awesome.

Shh, let them be wrong some more, I'm enjoying it.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Rhyno posted:

This thread has taught me that "owns" actually means "is loving horrible in every way imaginable."

Your efforts to be the Most Wrong are truly inspiring.

(I am joking, you're cool Rhyno even if I do not share all your opinions :v:)

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Majora's Mask was the last good Legend of Zelda game, fight me nerds.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I kinda hated Battank until I got to follow Jason around town as he drove a megatank with like 10 giant glowing "DEAR GOD END IT ALL SHOOT ME HERE!" lights.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Shadow of Mordor is totally redeemed by the Nemesis system. It's dumb as hell if you try to follow the plot, but Nemesis legit made murdering the same orcs over and over again still feel cool, and seeing the guy you just murdered twice sneaking around the field a few feet behind you is priceless.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Also, before you start playing, consider what kind of person you are; if you're okay getting the regular ending but missing out on the 100% total completion ending, proceed. Stay away however, if you don't want to play a game that gives you an ending when you beat it but very clearly tells you that it's not the final ending and to get that ending you need to run around all of Gotham collecting all of the Riddler trophies, do all the side stuff, etc.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Travis343 posted:

On the other hand, just do all the side stuff, because it's not that hard and it's pretty fun.

True, the Riddler trophy collecting is a bit annoying and not particularly fun but it's also pretty easy to just find a video for, and the rest of the side missions were pretty solidly fun or at least simple enough to still be worth doing.

I just felt that it was worth mentioning because I remember being irrationally annoyed at the game for telling me if I wanted to beat the game for reals I had to go get the riddler trophies I already had decided hours ago I didn't care about and wasn't going to spend time hunting down. :v:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Which side are you on, boys?

Which side are you on?

....Oh workers can you stand it?
Oh tell me how you can. :smith:

I am not a fan of Civil War 2 and would rather Marvel not do it. I am not much interested in what side people/characters are on.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

It was a major mistake to not make She Hulk the leader of the whatever-you-call-Captain-Marvel's-side. It would raise the problem of how do you get readers to side against She Hulk, but at least I'd have a side lead by a character I actively like.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Things in Marvel space generally are pretty boring to me so I guess I'm at a pretty big disadvantage for liking her solo series and Ultimates. I don't know what it is about stories in space, but I love them in video games, movies, regular books, etc but comic book space never interests me. I guess my weird aversion to space is probably why I don't like Carol that much v:shobon:v.

In A-Force she's fine but not particularly noteworthy. Definitely behind Dazzler, Nico, and She Hulk but ahead of Medusa in terms of likability.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Rhyno posted:

No Inhuman will ever be as terrible as Jubilee.

Too late man, they already made Inhumans that aren't Lockjaw and Ms Marvel.

E:

Toxxupation posted:

Like seriously the people complaining about the Inhumans - are you even reading the two main books?

Yes I am. Uncanny I come very close to liking but it feels like the arcs don't flow together well and the books lose momentum every time an arc changes. All New on the other hand is pretty unremarkable and I don't really care about any of the characters in it.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 22, 2016

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

X-O posted:

Hey! Stop reading stuff you don't like!

It is too late to stop me, fool! Even as we speak, forces under my command are mobilizing. By the morning, Civil War II: Choosing Sides #1 will be in my possession. Ban me all you like, your meager resistance will only strengthen my resolve!

...I don't dislike Uncanny Inhumans. I just feel like it's a book that could be way better but is held back by its lack of flow. Individual arcs are great, but every time I feel like I'm finally really into the series it suddenly shifts gears radically. All New I indeed stopped reading a few issues ago but I did indeed read it before I started criticizing the current Inhuman series.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Squizzle posted:

Well forum friends, there is a great issue confronting the comic books. That issue is: How will :siren:BREXIT:siren: affect Captain Britain's many super powers? Will his Energy Projection be negatively affected? Can he now lift (press) fewer tens of tons? Does he gain eye lazors that only hurt brown or Slavic people?

The white male Captain Britain will be taken out back and shot. Slowly all references to Brian Braddock ever being Captain Britain will be erased, and Faiza Hussain will have always been Captain Britain. The final step is Psylocke realizing she's actually Faiza's sister and was always Betsy Hussain.

They did it to Captain America, Brexit will remind Marvel it's Britain's turn.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I hope England declares independence from Wales and Cornwall and votes join the EU, leaving Wales and Cornwall the only members of the UK.

(I'm pretty sure that Wales and Cornwall did not go leave so hard/are so populated that kicking them out would lead to an independent England that has a majority support for staying in the EU, but it'd be funny if the numbers worked out like that)

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

Here's a general opinion question I'm curious about : Brian Bendis or Geoff Johns?

I'm all for the Bendiman. I can complain endlessly about him but overall I do like him as a writer. He just has some glaring flaws that are fun to laugh at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I bought a PS2 memory card back in 2010. And thus began my journey into Amazon shopping, the latest chapter of which is some LED light strips for reasons.

• Locked thread