Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Travis343 posted:

June starts with a J so what if we made the thread about the best character ever whose name begins with that letter? This is now Jimmy Olsen Month. Pyf Jimmy Olsen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Digital is the best. I don't have to worry about where I'm going to put a book when I'm done because single issues are the worst unless you're a collector. I'm a reader, I don't give a poo poo about the collecting aspect of comics.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm surprised nobody seems to call Mikael Janin out on it.
Granted, most of the time it works for him. He usually does just enough free drawing on top, but...

Unless the story is about Lex replacing the Justice League with action figures.

Those are clearly Poser models, but they're also Poser models with actual hand drawn stuff on top of them. It looks like he only uses the Poser models for actual posing and modeling. The coloring also makes it look much better than it should. It's not great, but I'd rather read a book with that art in it than a Greg Land or even a Jim Lee or Bryan Hitch.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Identity Crisis is important so that you know exactly how bad a Crisis can actually be.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Zero Hour had the word "Crisis" in the subtitle and it's spectacularly bad!

It's not as bad as Identity Crisis.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That's just an art error. The image was flipped by accident I think.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

You guys are acting like that's a problem or something instead of it being really entertaining. Because it is very entertaining. I love a good Waid rant.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Cyborg is boring and lame but that excerpt is really really dumb.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I refuse to believe anyone likes Crossed.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There are plenty of bad characters, that old chestnut is not even remotely true.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toxxupation posted:

Does Mantis from Guardians of the Galaxy have the strangest comics history? Because she went from Marvel to DC to Eclipse to back to Marvel, and I can't think of a character that's canonically ever made one big two jump (outside of Amalgam stuff but that doesn't really count), much less a back-and-forth.

Do not open the can of worms labeled Englehart, Steve.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toxxupation posted:

I tried giving the newest Nova series a shot and I have no idea who the current Nova is, what his relationship with his father is, or what's happening. Is there some series I missed beforehand?

Rhyno posted:

Actually yes, he had a series that ran for 31 issues prior to Secret Wars.

Indeed. And Sam is a great character, I highly recommend reading it. Loeb started the series and then Duggan took over (Zeb Wells filled in for an arc inbetween). It's really good all the way through. Yes, even the Loeb issues.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Nope, I promise, it's good. Also he's only on for like six issues.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Captain Marvel's current series is great stuff. One of the better books Marvel is putting out right now.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ms Marvel has been on and off connected with Inhumans for sure. Also the Inhumans are great and have been great for decades, but like everything they have their bad spells as well (we don't talk about Sean McKeever's run).

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Uncanny Inhumans is so drat good right now, especially the newest issue. I've fallen far behind on All New but UI, Ms Marvel and Karnak are all fantastic books.

Me and the other 3 people actually reading it really like Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur as well.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CapnAndy posted:

Hint: if they make a new character whose origin is being a mutant, those film rights automatically go to Fox, and that is not the case if they're an Inhuman instead.

That's it. That's why. It's so nakedly, cynically corporate and nobody's fooled and I hate it.

Hint: If it's a good book the motivations don't matter.

You think that Marvel just up and decided one day to make a big drive on female or minority led books out of the goodness of their heart? Everything is a business decision. If we get good books out it then that's a good thing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CapnAndy posted:

It neither makes the Inhumans cool nor good, though, and never will, no matter how many mutants they slap a quick Terrigenesis cloud on.

Well Inhumans have the advantage of being used so infrequently over the years that most of their prominent non crossover related stuff is actually rather good. Whereas the X-Men have been so overexposed that the vast majority of their stuff ranges from not very good to complete garbage even though there is a lot of great stuff too.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toxxupation posted:

Like seriously the people complaining about the Inhumans - are you even reading the two main books?

Well I doubt it, it's dumb to read stuff you don't like.

DrProsek posted:

Yes I am. Uncanny I come very close to liking but it feels like the arcs don't flow together well and the books lose momentum every time an arc changes. All New on the other hand is pretty unremarkable and I don't really care about any of the characters in it.

Hey! Stop reading stuff you don't like!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

And most of them star black men opposite white women (or white women opposite black men depending on the billing).

Can you name a movie that came out this millennia where a Black male star kissed a White female co-star?

That recent one with Will Smith and Margot Robbie that isn't Suicide Squad. And that other Margot Robbie movie with Chiwetel Ejiofor. Also that movie a while back with Kerry Washington and Patrick Wilson where Sam Jackson is trying to kill them.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Squizzle posted:

Well forum friends, there is a great issue confronting the comic books. That issue is: How will :siren:BREXIT:siren: affect Captain Britain's many super powers? Will his Energy Projection be negatively affected? Can he now lift (press) fewer tens of tons? Does he gain eye lazors that only hurt brown or Slavic people?

I'm sure his status of "appearing nowhere" will continue on unbroken.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Bendis, for sure.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Johns has Flash, and stuff I like but always forget about like his work on Teen Titans or JSA or even some of his Superman Pre-Flashpoint. But Bendis has Ultimate Spider-Man, Daredevil, and Alias and just those three make it a knockout.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bobkatt013 posted:

^^ besides some of the best comics of the last 10 years

Such as the first 15 issues of Hawkeye, Immortal Iron Fist, and...? Defenders maybe? That's really about it.

redbackground posted:

It'll be nice when you're banned again in like a week.

Yes, it will be.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If there's a week that goes by where I don't order something from Amazon that's probably the week that I die. I can't even imagine how much money I've saved with Prime Shipping. It would be staggering to even attempt to calculate it. Most weeks I have multiple orders from them.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CapnAndy posted:

When you are in a store and see something you want, check it on Amazon first because about 95% of the time it's cheaper and you can just push a button and have it in two days.

Or better yet, you don't actually have to go to a store after getting off work in traffic. You can save yourself time and frustration by just waiting a day or two. Amazon Prime is the best.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah if you don't order a lot of stuff or live in a place where it's convenient to go out for everything you need I can see not really needing Amazon Prime. But the convenience it provides for me is so much more valuable than the price it's silly. I'd say my orders are about 70% things I actually need and 30% things I just want. I buy stuff for fixing up my house/lawn almost exclusively through Amazon. Like yesterday I ordered a new doorknob for my garage entrance door because it's been acting a bit janky lately. And last week I needed trimmer line for my edger so I placed an order for that in two minutes instead of driving 20 minutes out of my way to Lowe's where it costs more. Also I've started buying some grocery items such as detergent other things there now that it's simple to do.

Looking at it right now Amazon shows me at 98 orders in 2015. And this many so far this year.

I know that number from somewhere!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Same. I just one click order. If there's a few items on the same day they'll package them together. To me just adding stuff to cart and doing it once a week defeats the entire purpose of one or two day shipping.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Squizzle posted:

Plus, you could just do one month of service a couple of times a year, and catch up on all the shows you want to catch.

This is what I do for Netflix. If there's an exclusive show I want to watch I'll sign up for a month watch that show and catch up on anything that maybe I didn't know about since the last time. I used Netflix too infrequently to actually pay for it monthly. I realized I was going two or three months without actually using it and that was silly.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Heathen posted:

Again disgusting amount of hours. 56 at the slowest, 69 at the busiest.

I could buy a doorknob on Monday, receive it on Wednesday but I still wouldn't get around to it until Sunday. Just have it all delivered on Saturday so I can get at it after work.

Skwirl might not hate poor people, but I do. I envy their free time.

I work abut 50 hours a week on average, but I also don't let stuff like that slide. My doorknob will likely be delivered tomorrow while I'm at work and it'll be installed on the door within 30 minutes of the time I get home unless something else is up that requires my immediate attention. Weekends are relax time. Around the house work gets done right after regular work during the week.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

It isn't the 90's anymore.

Amazon shows my first order as being in the year 2001 and it being a CD! More specifically Both Sides of the Brain by Del Tha Funkee Homosapien. That's a good CD.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So that means DC will be hitting my sweet spot in 2023. That's a long wait.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

And for the most part I'd rather read a book starring Marc Spector than Bruce Wayne and have for almost a decade now. That doesn't mean it will ever actually take off though. I'll just enjoy my 6-12 issues at a time and wait patiently for the next batch.

Marvel also has tried to copy its own success with Spider-Man over and over again. Speedball, Nova, Darkhawk, etc. The list goes on and on.

X-O fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jun 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well, someone's mighty defensive.

• Locked thread