Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
What, like one of you is secretly a cop and you have to threaten each other with nerf guns and scream about someone being a rat to find out who?

Because I'd play that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Mr Hootington posted:

Did anyone that switched from print to digital have a hell of a time? It just feels weird to buy digital. I'm pulling the trigger on the new DC books, but man I still can't bring myself to pay $1.99 for Justice League Europe #1 when I can order the physical copy plus 29 other comics for $30 and get free shipping on that comic seller site.
I can put as many comics on my iPad as I want and it stays the same size, weighs the same, and I can carry literally all my comics all the time because I have one magic screen that is all the media I own all the time, on command, and it glows in the dark so I can read it in bed easier.

I went digital and never looked back.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Shameless posted:

Ian Levine (northern soul DJ, songwriter, biggest twat in Dr Who fandom) claims to have every DC comic ever published. Not sure if that's ever been verified but it's definitely something I can believe of him.
He's got an Action Comics #1 and Detective Comics #27 and every other million dollar holy grail? Really?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Wow. And you guys answered my followup question already, which was going to be "how does a DJ/songwriter afford that".

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Toxxupation posted:

So I'm on The Clown at Midnight in Morrison's Batman run, and I have to ask - is this comic just a product of its time or something? Like did anyone here read it back in 2007 when it came out and was the whole lovely sub-SFM/Garry's Mod-quality graphics good and/or effective, or the unbelievably purple prose impactful and interesting? Because man this issue comes across as actively repellent when reading it nearly a decade removed as part of a run.
No, even when it came out it couldn't have landed with a bigger thud.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Madkal posted:

I always got the feeling with the way Batman Inc ended even Grant was tired of it all.
Don't forget that Flashpoint hit right in the middle of Batman Inc and left him writing characters that technically didn't exist any more. Can't have been fun.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Having not been much of a DC reader, it was actually the first I saw of him, so there's that.

Then there was one of the Superbuddies minis where Sue Dibny is pretending to be pregnant and says something about inviting Dr. Light to the baby shower. (Obviously she was talking about good guy lady Dr. Light but it was still awkwardly funny to read at the time.)
That mini was written after Identity Crisis and either after Infinite Crisis or with full knowledge of what happened in it, I forget. All the jokes (in addition to Sue constantly being mistaken for pregnant, there's a bit where Max threatens to shoot Beetle in the head) are 100% intentional.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Travis343 posted:

Oh my god yeah, that scene in the abandoned building with the swat team is absolutely incredible.
It's telling that Batman Begins basically ripped those pages out and used them as a storyboard.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Gaunab posted:

I've started reading Spawn since I had the toys when I was a kid and I remember the HBO show. It's not as dark as I thought it would be. Very wordy though.
I'm genuinely curious how many issues you can get through before you drop the series. I dropped somewhere in the 30s.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

So very much more of the same, but since Injustice was really really good, that's fine by me.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Gavok posted:

It looks like they're bringing in Mortal Kombat X's intro dialogue gimmick. This is a good thing as it's led to some pure gold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcPvhvOjTN8

More reason for the game to include Booster Gold and/or Johnny Cage DLC.
The gimmick got its start in Injustice, with the characters knowing each other during clashes. I'm enjoying watching good ideas getting refined from franchise to franchise.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Gaunab posted:

If I had to describe Spawn so far I would say that it's spinning it's wheels. Lot of space is devoted to side characters I don't really care about. Probably would have been better as a novel than a comic.
How far in are you?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Madkal posted:

I am guessing 50 issues in at least. It spun it's wheels for 50 issues, than spun it's wheels in a different direction afterwards.
Still, I think Spawn would have been regarded better if it ended on issue 50 like it was supposed to.
I'll bet you no later than 13 and no way he doesn't drop the book before 50.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Madkal posted:

I take payment in high fives and beers.
:hfive:

Getting to 78 is impressive as hell, I tapped out in the 30s.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

That trailer is 100% pre-rendered, don't buy any hype until you see gameplay.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Batman's combat system was so good that basically every third person action game since it came out has ripped it off wholesale, so I'm afraid I'm gonna have to ask you to retract that.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

To this day, the Nemesis system is still the most next-gen thing I've seen. Like, it's the one time a game has pulled something and I've gone "okay, I totally get why you needed a tech upgrade before you could do this, there's no way 360s and PS3s could do this with slightly worse graphics".

I've got Uncharted 4 but haven't started it yet, but I hear that's got some good stuff too.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

I just don't understand why he talks so weird in the MCU. It's not an old timey accent, it's not Nordic, it's just freaking weird, and nobody else from Asgard talks that way.
Do you mean the font or the "I say thee nay" sort of stuff? Because he's dropped the latter and these days all the Asgardians have the former.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Does Thor talk weird in the movies? It's honestly never struck me as weird, and it's not like Loki or Odin or Volstagg or Heimdall or literally anyone doesn't have a, let's say, unique presence.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

It didn't occur to me until today that the "NOT A DREAM! NOT AN IMAGINARY STORY!" blurbs Stan Lee put on the covers to a bunch of Silver Age Marvel comics were a dig at DC.
No, DC did it a loving bunch too. Dreams and imaginary stories (and eventually hoaxes) were cop-outs used so often to explain the lunacy happening on the covers that as soon as fans saw something nuts happening they'd immediately go "oh, it's a dream or imaginary story or hoax, whatever", and so the publishers started putting explicit denials that they were using those cliches to make people interested in the whole "wait so how are you getting out of this one" thing they needed to be buying into so that they'd actually buy the comic.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

DrProsek posted:

In A-Force she's fine but not particularly noteworthy. Definitely behind Dazzler, Nico, and She Hulk but ahead of Medusa in terms of likability.
God, if you wanna talk about things that Marvel is trying to force into popularity but will never, ever be popular.

STOP TRYING TO MAKE THE INHUMANS HAPPEN, MARVEL. IT'S NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Travis343 posted:

I'm baffled that the Inhumans have a single book, let alone three. I kinda see where they're coming from honestly. They're C list at best and someone at Marvel sure seems to care about them all of a sudden.
Hint: if they make a new character whose origin is being a mutant, those film rights automatically go to Fox, and that is not the case if they're an Inhuman instead.

That's it. That's why. It's so nakedly, cynically corporate and nobody's fooled and I hate it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

X-O posted:

Hint: If it's a good book the motivations don't matter.

You think that Marvel just up and decided one day to make a big drive on female or minority led books out of the goodness of their heart? Everything is a business decision. If we get good books out it then that's a good thing.
It neither makes the Inhumans cool nor good, though, and never will, no matter how many mutants they slap a quick Terrigenesis cloud on.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Toxxupation posted:

Okay I really gotta ask - is there any specific reason that Hank Pym is known as a wife-beating piece of human garbage who has to spend like every story he's in reinforcing how much of a wife-beating piece of human garbage he is when as far as I can tell, he smacked Janet once and got immediately kicked off the Avengers because of it and his wife divorced him while Peter Parker can hit MJ hard enough to have her fly ten feet into a wall and get a bloody nose from it and/or about a billion panels of Reed slapping Sue around like a rented mule, not to mention all the emotional and mental torture he inflicts on her?
Because there are iconic Spider-Man stories and iconic Fantastic Four stories, but the only really lasting things Hank Pym's ever done are hit his wife and create Ultron. Every writer always wants to go and take their run at the classics and that means for Hank they reinforce what a shitbag he is, and it becomes a self-reinforcing cycle where all the Hank Pym stories are about him being horrible and meanwhile the other dudes just really want to write Galactus or Dr. Octopus or whatever.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

I was gonna say Prez, but given that's set in the near future, the establishment are probably Gen Xers.
It's still the right answer.

Prez #2 in particular should only be read while wearing protective gloves, because every page is just packed with satire that is razor sharp and wants to cut.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

In today's exciting issue, Captain Britain loses 10% of his powers in 12 hours!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Bendis, unless it's an event book.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Prime is like a smartphone; before you get it you're like "I mean I can see how this would be useful but it doesn't seem life-changing or anything" and then after a month you'd be literally unable to function without it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

We only order things in November and December.

I don't get what you guys could be ordering every week. Lol
When you are in a store and see something you want, check it on Amazon first because about 95% of the time it's cheaper and you can just push a button and have it in two days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

X-O posted:

Amazon shows my first order as being in the year 2001 and it being a CD! More specifically Both Sides of the Brain by Del Tha Funkee Homosapien. That's a good CD.
2002, also a CD. The soundtrack from that Buffy musical episode.

That's also my only order from 2002. Then from 2003-2008 it's mostly one or two orders a year, then I jump to 8 in 2009 and 42 in 2010, so I can guess when I got Prime.

• Locked thread