Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Strategic Tea posted:

The two soldiers who come home and have no idea how to go back to life ware awesome. The nobles were kinda on the nose though, they were all ~power and decadence~ stereotypes.

Also titus pullo used to be in my avatar :hist101:

it's a british show so they probably have different standards for what constitutes a realistically evil decadent nobleman, considering theier... issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I think I watched a few episodes with my sister and her husband. It was a show at in that era at least, and it had a bunch of tits and dongs so I'm assuming it was HBO. Did Rome have a male lead who died IRL between seasons? That was the show I watched.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
for instance, this is a real british member of parliament:

he is also a child molester

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

criscodisco posted:

I think I watched a few episodes with my sister and her husband. It was a show at in that era at least, and it had a bunch of tits and dongs so I'm assuming it was HBO. Did Rome have a male lead who died IRL between seasons? That was the show I watched.

That's Spartacus I think

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I watched the episode that TVtropes listed as featuring a big penis and was so disappointed I didn't bother to watch the rest.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Mange Mite posted:

for instance, this is a real british member of parliament:

he is also a child molester

Goddamn, the British really are the ugliest people ever born.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Atia is the most insane character i've ever seen in a television show.

Redonionking
Mar 13, 2001

I AM A BRILLIANT HAMOLOGIST
Grimey Drawer
I've got the blurays. Not that I can be bothered to get up and insert a disc, what am I loving amish?

Redonionking
Mar 13, 2001

I AM A BRILLIANT HAMOLOGIST
Grimey Drawer

JakeP posted:

I BEEN ON THESE FORUMS FOR 13 YEARS DARE! SHOW ME THE RESPECT I DESERVE!

Quiet you loving noob

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
you have aids

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
First season kicked so much rear end. Second season was just OK and the smoking hot red-headed evil woman looked a lot older and fatter.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Sintax posted:

Pace was a bit slow

Yeah. I wanted to like a show called HBO's Rome but I gave it 15 minutes...

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
why watch shows based on rl. u already know how they are going to end if you ever opened a wikipedia article. the only thing i can stand watching are productions based on freshly forged IPs and live cam shows. gotta b fresh.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Applewhite posted:

I watched the episode that TVtropes listed as featuring a big penis and was so disappointed I didn't bother to watch the rest.

I'm doing a rewatch and just hit that ep, and I'm sorry but if that's not big enough for you then you've got impossible standards.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I'm an excellent judge of dong size so if one of you'd be kind enough to post a pic I would gladly give you a definitive answer.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Macasaurus posted:

too many tv series about georgia these days

you mean new jersey

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I rewatched the first season recently and it didn't age super well, not poorly either. But after years of TV being really really good it just isn't as special as it seemed at the time.

naem
May 29, 2011

I watched the sopranos aka hbo's New Jersey

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Good thread this

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
Rome was real good and I would love HBO to do a show set during or about the wars of religion in Europe. Just pick one war to roll with, give it a decent budget and maybe occasionally have some decent fight choreography.

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I rewatched the first season recently and it didn't age super well, not poorly either. But after years of TV being really really good it just isn't as special as it seemed at the time.

Second season probably aged less well, but I think the show remains solid overall.

I think Band of Brothers probably holds up the best of some of those early 2000s HBO shows. And Deadwood should've had a third season.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
30 years war would be good for lots of cable-only rape and gore except nobody will speak english

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
I'd ~cut cable~ long before there was a name for it.

That being said, having watched Rome, Carnevale, and Deadwood long after their original runs, it's safe to say that it was the worst of the 3. HBO execs of that era were a bunch of stupid idiots.

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

it's a game of thrones prototype

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Naerasa posted:

I'm doing a rewatch and just hit that ep, and I'm sorry but if that's not big enough for you then you've got impossible standards.

Oh sorry. I meant the episode was disappointing. The penis was okay.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Mange Mite posted:

30 years war would be good for lots of cable-only rape and gore except nobody will speak english

And maybe do a cooproduction with a company in France/Germany/Spain/Britain if it's the ECW and I think you'd have a show that'd get play elsewhere and have a better budget. Just would have to use big battles sparingly cause that poo poo almost always looks bad in TV productions.

Unrelated to Rome, there is a Dadwood movie cming out, so hopefully that's good. Show needed one more season at least imo. Rome's second season was a bit iffy - kind of sped through a bunch of stuff - so a movie really wouldn't help that.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Mange Mite posted:

The New Adventures of Gustavus Adolphus, classic netflix original material.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

ChrisHansen posted:

That's Spartacus I think

Spartacus is the superior ancient Roman TV show.

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012
i claudius was better

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mange Mite posted:

Also murderous swedes going on torture sprees.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Fire Barrel posted:

And maybe do a cooproduction with a company in France/Germany/Spain/Britain if it's the ECW and I think you'd have a show that'd get play elsewhere and have a better budget. Just would have to use big battles sparingly cause that poo poo almost always looks bad in TV productions.

Unrelated to Rome, there is a Dadwood movie cming out, so hopefully that's good. Show needed one more season at least imo. Rome's second season was a bit iffy - kind of sped through a bunch of stuff - so a movie really wouldn't help that.

The battles would be done in the total war engine

Also i would totally watch a show called Dadwood

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

etalian posted:

Swedes, Spaniards, Germans, French, basically a lot of Europe were murderous jerks back then!

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

etalian posted:

I'm sure there are going to be scandi dramas about the Danish Intermezzo.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

It is not bad if you just fast forward through all the catty woman drama. Like seriously I was so confused in the last episode when that redhead was getting all uppity in the emperor's wife's face. Like bitch...please u still gross why you walking around like you're all redeemed or something?

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

dick wizard posted:

i claudius was better

The music sting at the end of every episode is so loving campy and I can't get enough of it.

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

The first season was pretty good, but had a little much nudity for my taste

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Not fluent in Latin.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Veshpo posted:

The first season was pretty good, but had a little much nudity for my taste

Solution Watch Rome and Spartacus at the same time.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Well, the reason I didn't watch it is because there is nudity and swearing. That is a nono!

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

gleebster posted:

Not fluent in Latin.

only real answer posted so far gj

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
True Roman shitposts for true Romans.

• Locked thread