Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I can't loving believe this is happening

15 years

15 years of waiting

Who knows how many years of "I hope the avalanches finish this year". I remember thinking that around the time Random Access Memories was happening, and many times before.

My god my god

Edit: New track is alright. Helps that I loooooooove DB and MFD. I'd buy a copy even if it was nothing but fart sounds. I just need to know it's not a hallucination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Creature posted:

I just can't see them topping SILY. That was a perfect record.

Yeah, if nothing else in a decade and a half did it I'm certainly not expecting them to just magic their way back into my life like that. Then again even the slim chance is enough to carry a a torch for.

Obviously, as anyone here can attest lol.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Me too.

Just to make absolutely sure: Everyone in here has heard "At last alone" and "When I met you" right? They're both mixes and they're both essential if you like SILY at all. WIMY is basically an alternate version of SILY, I've heard various stories about it's origins but whatever it is, it's must have.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Yeah true. On first glance, Brains is a more challenging mix with the feeling of a deep track.

On second glance it has the Kojack cancellation protest song, which is the greatest song on Earth, and should be spread far and wide.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
idk, I'm sure 16 years at least nets you some real gems for undiscovered samples no matter what else.

Edit: I forgot how great Brains is for background work tunes

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I was recently reminded that in an old interview Danny Brown called one of his Avalanches tracks "OK" and that other was going to change the world. Gotta assume Frankie is the former, not to poo on it too much.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
pre-order cancelled, 15 years wasted

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

SgtScruffy posted:

Has it been discussed whether the album is going to be sample heavy?

I believe they cited sample clearance as something that held this album up similiar to SILY, but god only knows when and where I read that.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Subways sounds legit.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Thanks a ton for this, I'm just as excited for new mixes as I am for a new album.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Anyone have working links for the primavera set?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Cool, I can listen to it at least. Don't know how to DL from there but I'm betting it'll proliferate soon. Thank you.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Jaysis, you aren't kidding. Guess I have some listening to do this week.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Here we go

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Yeah, this is good stuff.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

SgtScruffy posted:

So the album is less "original-ish" tracks like Frankie Sinatra and more like Subways and Colours that sound more like where SILY left off?

Yeah I'd say so, although there's ones that could qualify as either, there's a few different rap features.

Impressions:
- They're still impeccable bass line curators/choppers
- it seems like a loose concept album with the same (as opposed to, a different) feeling as sily, like you're walking through a super weird city or block party
- I can't tell if the late track that the sleepy jackson/empire of the sun guy is on is a sleepy jackson sample or just him
- really glad they kept the "party crowd" background noise theme going, love that in sily
- opinions on it are probably gonna live or die on whether you can stomach the occasional bout of non sampled people singing over your avalanches.
- its more of a psychadelic and hip hop turn from them, but it sits nicely in the sily and big mix canon. Feel like "Brains" especially explains where their heads were for a lot of it.

I put on daft punks electroma to stare at while listening and I forgot how great that is too.

Edit: Early front-runner for sample that gets stuck in my head: "I'm livin at the YYYYYMCA"

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 1, 2016

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
http://pitchfork.com/news/66511-the-avalanches-reveal-all-about-the-samples-on-new-album-wildflower/

quote:

The song “The Noisy Eater” features a sample of the Beatles' iconic hit “Come Together,” the sampling of which was apparently directly approved by Paul McCartney and Yoko Ono. Perhaps the oddest sample discussed in the breakdown is in “Live A Lifetime Love,” which samples American Juggalo, a documentary about Insane Clown Posse.

Edit: I agree with the NME review guy that it meanders at times, but feel safe throwing the rest of his opinions in the trash thanks to his very helpful note that he finds Frontier Psychiatrist "annoying".

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 1, 2016

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
http://pitchfork.com/features/interview/9912-the-avalanches-the-snow-must-go-on/

quote:

As far as samples, they started clearing stuff years ago, but then there would be some hold-up and they’d have to go back and renegotiate. People would give permission for us to use the sample, and then a certain amount of time would elapse and they would Google who the band is and be like, “Oh poo poo, I can ask for more money.” That sort of thing took forever. And it’s all sampled, really. There are the guest vocals and beautiful orchestration from [French composer] Jean-Michel Bernard, but every song is a sample-based song.

quote:

I heard that you said you’d like to put something else out in the next three years.

RC: Oh, really? That wasn’t very smart of me to say.

Lots more in there but lol

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
After living with it for a while certain sections and tracks are growing (Harmony, Sunshine, Saturday Night Inside Out). Kaleidescope Lovers and Stepkids both sound like cut tracks from the "At Last Alone" EP and it weirds me out. I wouldn't be shocked to hear it's the same vocalist from songs like Slow Walking.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Whose got the sample listings?

Not a listing but the Onion AV review had a few catches I hadn't heard about yet.

http://www.avclub.com/review/avalanches-are-back-breezy-hallucinatory-wildflowe-239122

I agree with about 80% of the words in that review

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
http://pitchfork.com/news/67810-the-avalanches-announce-new-bbc-essential-mix/

I know it'll be everywhere but if someone gets a copy of this recorded plz share

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Ive been waiting until I can get it in a file instead of streaming

• Locked thread