Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I really feel like Popstar is more of a spoof of the recent pop star documentary trend? Never Say Never, This Is Us, Part of Me, etc.

Also fun fact: This is Us was directed by Morgan Spurlock so if you ever wondered where his career went, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I know Bieber had one recently so that may have sparked this.

Pity they couldn't get the budget to make this 3-D.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
You really can't top Jackass 3-D though. Once poo poo flies at you in three dimensions, what else is there.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Jose Oquendo posted:

You really can't top Jackass 3-D though. Once poo poo flies at you in three dimensions, what else is there.

The bees and the sweat suit were pinnacles of 3D for me. I'm so glad I went to see it as it should be seen.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Popstar's bee scene in 3D would have topped that. :colbert:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

beehive tetherball and Electric Avenue were peak Jackass

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

This film started off hilarious and slowly got less funny as all the character and plot stuff took over, as so often happens in these types of movies. Still, had a some great laughs. I just wish it played more of the songs, they're hilarious. Like, that gently caress Off song is genius, they could have put that in there!

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Alan_Shore posted:

This film started off hilarious and slowly got less funny as all the character and plot stuff took over, as so often happens in these types of movies. Still, had a some great laughs. I just wish it played more of the songs, they're hilarious. Like, that gently caress Off song is genius, they could have put that in there!

They actually filmed it, but I guess it got cut for time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3jKtjgRZQY

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

EL BROMANCE posted:

The bees and the sweat suit were pinnacles of 3D for me. I'm so glad I went to see it as it should be seen.

The bees freaked me out I started swatting. Jackass 3D is a masterpiece.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm terrified of bees, so I'd probably have died if I saw Jackass 3D.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I do think the movie ends with its weakest song, and the third act definitely stumbles, but I bet there was loads of great stuff that ended up on the cutting room floor.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I've said it before, but this movie is begging for an indulgent director's cut with more of the music included.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The soundtrack is by far the worst Lonely Island album but Equal Rights through to 2 Banditos is pretty incredible, aside from the song about houses maybe

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Did you get the album with the bonus tracks? A lot of the good poo poo is there.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Karate Man is one of my favorite things ever.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

The_Rob posted:

Karate Man is one of my favorite things ever.

I remember the exact moment in the theater when I knew I was going to fall in love with this movie.

"Now I'm in a cowboy hat."
"Now I'M in a cowboy hat."
"Now I'm in THREE cowboy hats."

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Mona Lisa: the original basic bitch.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
She said "Invade my cave with your special unit" / I said "He wasn't in a cave", but there was no stopping

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Disco De Soto posted:

Mona Lisa: the original basic bitch.

It's a good song

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

The Bananana posted:

It's a good song

I like how it's very much written in character. Connor is just the type of guy to push his way to the front of the line and then yell "What the gently caress is this garbage!?" in confusion when he sees the painting.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
"He wasn't in a cave" is probably going to be the best line in any comedy all year, especially considering Samberg delivers it with an actual :confused: on his face mid-concert

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

CRINDY posted:

I remember the exact moment in the theater when I knew I was going to fall in love with this movie.

"Now I'm in a cowboy hat."
"Now I'M in a cowboy hat."
"Now I'm in THREE cowboy hats."

The look on his face as he is nodding with all three cowboy hats is just fantastic.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Horny like a stegasaur is my favorite line

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

mattfl posted:

My favorite would have to be "My apple crumble is by far the most crumble-ist"

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

2 Banditos: I hosed your first cousin with a didgeridoo and when she came you know it sounded like "woww woww woww woww woww wooww"

Rock Roll Skate: You're a motherfuckin titty sucking two-ball bitch with a popcorn pussy and a full on dick

It's so goddamn absurd I can't stop laughing.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Rock Roll Skate is a blast, and I have no idea who produced it but that beat is great.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

mattfl posted:

TERRORIZE THAT PUSSY

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

it's a good thing that the movie hypes up the Catchphrase Verse because it's incredible

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
Still have yet to see this despite being a huge Lonely Island/Hot Rod fan. It was in theatres here for like a week. But I've been listening to the album like crazy lately. The beats are actually pretty great and Finest Girl is incredibly funny.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Blisster posted:

Still have yet to see this despite being a huge Lonely Island/Hot Rod fan. It was in theatres here for like a week. But I've been listening to the album like crazy lately. The beats are actually pretty great and Finest Girl is incredibly funny.

I know someone above said the album isn't great, but personally I thought it was better than the Whack Album.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah Wack has been my least favorite, but it was also the album that I hadn't seen the visual side to as much. I'm not sure how much I would've liked some of the older ones without the digital shorts to back them up.

One thing I'll never stop finding hilarious is Andy's rap name being "Young Sandwich", though. I don't know why that's so funny.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I would say this is their worst album yet but that still doesn't stop there from being a bunch of solid tracks and a handful of fantastic ones. Always found Wack Album a little underrated - it has I hosed My Aunt for the love of god

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

I had heard Dick in a Box and seen Hotrod but somehow I hadn't heard of The Lonely Island before. I don't live in the US though.

After listening to all of their albums I think this one is the best, but maybe it's just cause the movie adds so much to the characters. The production is really loving good. I mean a lot of the tricks are stolen from other producers/songs but they're used perfectly to emphasize the jokes. The first 6 songs on the album are all great. And the Style Boyz tracks really sound like they are from late 90s/early 00s.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I only just realised how poorly this movie performed. God dammit movie-going public

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Escobarbarian posted:

I only just realised how poorly this movie performed. God dammit movie-going public

It really wasn't their fault. No promotion and nowhere actually screening it. Was absolutely set up to fail.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

EL BROMANCE posted:

It really wasn't their fault. No promotion and nowhere actually screening it. Was absolutely set up to fail.

This movie is also, honestly, about 3 or 4 years too late. It's been a while since Lonely Island were that big.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

A spoof of a Justin Bieber documentary with a solid trailer in a time period with few decent comedies out was an easy sell though. Plus Samberg is a recognisable face, and it was littered with good cameos. We had the trailer in our local theater, but they never got the movie itself. Nowhere near me did.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Once the movie pops up on a streaming service I'm sure it will get a nice little resurgence as a cult favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Yeah they really messed up the release - I never heard about the movie until someone mentioned in a thread around here.

• Locked thread