Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

This movie is also, honestly, about 3 or 4 years too late. It's been a while since Lonely Island were that big.

It's strange to think that the big thing that really launched them, and still is maybe their best known work, was also the first big YouTube viral video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's a shame to hear about the release, I would have thought it would have gotten a ton of promotion in America. As BROMANCE points out this is not exactly a hard sell - hell you could convince a decent amount of people on the cameos alone.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
I think my favorite non-song dialogue from the film is Sarah Silverman's perfect delivery of “Conner’s music may not be what I listen to in my free time, but it seems to make so many people money.”

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Disco De Soto posted:

I think my favorite non-song dialogue from the film is Sarah Silverman's perfect delivery of “Conner’s music may not be what I listen to in my free time, but it seems to make so many people money.”

All of the supporting characters played by comedians (Sarah Silverman, Tim Meadows, Bill Hader, Maya Rudolph) are in the movie for like the perfect amount of time and nail their characters. I'll throw Joan Cusack in there too since she's technically an SNL alum.

I would like for Tim Meadows to be in more movies and TV Shows. He seems to have the worst luck when it comes to being in unsuccessful comedies.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Meadows is like the eternal supporting player, but drat he's good. I wonder if he could do dramatic stuff.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Chairman Capone posted:

It's strange to think that the big thing that really launched them, and still is maybe their best known work, was also the first big YouTube viral video.

Case in point, really. I don't think I've really heard much from them, this movie aside, since I'm On A Boat; had this come out around that time, it probably would have been a huge hit.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

There's something about Hot Rod that's infinitely rewatchable. It has a magical quality to it. The only other comedy I can think of in that vein is Happy Gilmore. It's a great movie and not many people know about it. I watched Napoleon Dynamite for the first time ever this year and... It's not that great. Maybe it's a product of its time? The important thing is that Hot Rod is way better and this guys deserve a hit movie dammit!

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"
Bill Hader talking about flat lining gave me a pretty good chuckle. "Did I poo poo my pants?"

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Not this time.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Alan_Shore posted:

The important thing is that Hot Rod is way better and this guys deserve a hit movie dammit!

It's a drat shame that these guys will probably never get to do another movie. Hopefully the blu ray sells - looks like there's a lot of extra features coming.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
loving hell, it raised $9.5m at the box office off a $20m production budget. :smith:

But it was only released in 7 countries, with USA and Canada in early June and a few other countries wayyyy later in late August. It got buried real deep, it never had a chance to make any money.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Goddamn. They should have waited a few more months.

Alan_Shore posted:

There's something about Hot Rod that's infinitely rewatchable. It has a magical quality to it. The only other comedy I can think of in that vein is Happy Gilmore. It's a great movie and not many people know about it. I watched Napoleon Dynamite for the first time ever this year and... It's not that great. Maybe it's a product of its time? The important thing is that Hot Rod is way better and this guys deserve a hit movie dammit!

Napoleon Dynamite might be a product of its time. I loved the poo poo out of it back when it came out over a decade ago. I was in high school, the prime audience. Over the years, I figured it probably didn't age well, but last year, I got a couple of friends together and we all thought it still held up. For us at least. Out of curiosity, how old were you when it came out in 2004?

You're absolutely right about Hot Rod being better though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hot Rod is really great because it never runs out of steam, the jokes just keep coming and it never feels like it's plodding along. Quite a people said the opposite of Popstar and seemed to massively prefer the first half over the second, although I can't say I agree myself.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I wish they could at least get one more Hot Rod-like in. When it came out in 2007, I just kind of assumed that we'd be getting a bunch more in that style. It made sense at the time, they kept making Anchorman-but-Nascar or Anchorman-but-basketball, Anchorman-but-whathaveyou movies at the time. I guess I just didn't parse that Will Ferrell was just infinitely more mainstream and popular than the Lonely Island people.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My current obsession on the soundtrack is Emma Stone's pronunciation of "THAT'S A REALLY BIG DONKEY!"

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

My current obsession on the soundtrack is Emma Stone's pronunciation of "THAT'S A REALLY BIG DONKEY!"

Apparently the blu ray has a “Turn Up the Beef” Backstory extra.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

Goddamn. They should have waited a few more months.

Napoleon Dynamite might be a product of its time. I loved the poo poo out of it back when it came out over a decade ago. I was in high school, the prime audience. Over the years, I figured it probably didn't age well, but last year, I got a couple of friends together and we all thought it still held up. For us at least. Out of curiosity, how old were you when it came out in 2004?

You're absolutely right about Hot Rod being better though.

I was 20, and was (and still am) English, so maybe that didn't help? There are some funny parts though, don't get me wrong.

And I'm one of those people that prefers the first half of Popstar. The jokes just slow down as we approach the finale. Hot Rod doesn't do that.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

I wish I was rich enough to afford employing a guy that randomly punches me in the balls to remind me where I came from.

I hadn't seen Hot Rod since 2007 and tried to watch it again last night. It was a bit of a struggle - it's a very low key film, especially compared to this one.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Napoleon Dynamite is a very sad movie. I knew a couple of families like that growing up and I guess I just didn't think it was funny.

Now, Popstar and Hot Rod, on the other hand...

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Just thinking about The Finest Girl has ruined sex for me because I can only think about it in terms of a covert military operation now and oh god I'm giggling again

Also what is that sound that Owen's helmet makes? It's from a movie but I can't put my finger on it...

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Sep 10, 2016

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

COOL CORN posted:

Just thinking about The Finest Girl has ruined sex for me because I can only think about it in terms of a covert military operation now and oh god I'm giggling again

Also what is that sound that Owen's helmet makes? It's from a movie but I can't put my finger on it...

Isn't it very similar to the War of the Worlds alien horns. I was really hoping that the hat would actually call aliens to earth :(

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Holy poo poo that's it exactly! Thank you

https://youtu.be/jzY099ihULs

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Literally the only good part of WOTW was the bass thump.

And I'm so glad I didn't see Finest Girls promo video before the film, because it was so goddamned funny to be revealed that way.

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

this was hilarious, simply hilarious. im a HUGE the lonely island fan, seriously at my office im known as "the lonely island guy" and i can rap all their songs by heart, so obviously i was at this opening day.msaw it 13 times in theatres when i read that it was doing bad at the box office. cant wait to buy this on bluray/VOD/itunes so i can have it anytime on my phone and ipod touch!

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

And I'm so glad I didn't see Finest Girls promo video before the film, because it was so goddamned funny to be revealed that way.

It was great to go into this movie blind, that song in particular actually shocked me a little at first, which is what good comedy should do. Was definitely not expecting that!

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I love that the ballad 'Ashley Wednesday' is literally just 'Mona Lisa' slowed down, and Connor just amended a few lyrics. It's so in character that he would be lazy like that. And Seal does a great job singing it. On that note, I wasn't hot on 'Mona Lisa' in the movie, but the full version is amazing.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

this was hilarious, simply hilarious. im a HUGE the lonely island fan, seriously at my office im known as "the lonely island guy" and i can rap all their songs by heart, so obviously i was at this opening day.msaw it 13 times in theatres when i read that it was doing bad at the box office. cant wait to buy this on bluray/VOD/itunes so i can have it anytime on my phone and ipod touch!

Is this a real post? :raise:

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

DrVenkman posted:

I love that the ballad 'Ashley Wednesday' is literally just 'Mona Lisa' slowed down, and Connor just amended a few lyrics. It's so in character that he would be lazy like that. And Seal does a great job singing it. On that note, I wasn't hot on 'Mona Lisa' in the movie, but the full version is amazing.

I like the callback to how much he hates France.

quote:

I'm an American man, this is my native land
Where no one lies about paintings
But that's not the case in France

quote:

I'm an American man
This is my native land
But for you I'd summer in England
But I will not go to France
On that I take a stand

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

The Bananana posted:

Is this a real post? :raise:

He did the same poo poo in the Ghostbusters thread.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Jose Oquendo posted:

He did the same poo poo in the Ghostbusters thread.

Nothing wrong with a lil enthusiasm

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

me too

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Finally saw it last night, and it did not disappoint. I've been a Lonely Island fan ever since "Lazy Sunday" first played on SNL, and I'm also a huge fan of Walk Hard and This Is Spinal Tap, so I really enjoyed it and laughed my rear end off.

I'm glad Jorma and Akiva had more to do beyond just co-writing and co-directing it. They're as important to the group as Andy, and even though he became the breakout star, I'm glad they're all still collaborating. In fact, the movie is an interesting meta-narrative about that very thing.

All the smaller roles and cameos were great, especially Bill Hader, Justin Timberlake, and the always-underrated Tim Meadows.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

I want a screenshot of the 100 producers he worked with on Connquest.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Disco De Soto posted:

I want a screenshot of the 100 producers he worked with on Connquest.

On that note, "Thriller, Also" is probably the best fake album name I've ever heard.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I know it's really spergy and 100% unimportant but I wish I knew if I'm So Humble and Mona Lisa were meant to be from Thriller, Also or Connquest

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

I know it's really spergy and 100% unimportant but I wish I knew if I'm So Humble and Mona Lisa were meant to be from Thriller, Also or Connquest

I think Humble is from Thriller, Also, cause Mariah talks about it before the new album drops I think. Mona Lisa seems to be from Connquest. Hope they release all the footage they shot for Mona Lisa, the dancer costumes are awesome.

There's a lot of deleted content floating around on YouTube, plus bloopers etc. I only just recently watched the trailer and there's a few jokes a few things in there that aren't in the movie, like Bill Hader saying "No one actually plays guitar."

EDIT: And a different scene with Conner and the pagpiper (who as Will Forte wtf)

Red Rox fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Sep 12, 2016

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

I think Equal Rights was the first single off the record, so Humble would be f rom Thriller, Also.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I assumed Humble was probably from Thriller. The first three singles from Connquest are Equal Rights, Bin Laden Song, and Ibitha (plus I guess 2 Banditos is recorded during the tour and it also makes it seem like Ibitha was too, making even less sense), but Mona Lisa isn't mentioned in that way, just shown as a song played during the tour. I know this doesn't matter in any way, but still, put some consistently in your absurdist pop mockumentary, guys!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I kind of agree. The problem is they had to make songs that you like all the way through, so to the viewer there isn't really much quality difference. Equal Rights is the main song that's funny but you can see why people think he's obnoxious for it, although Humble isn't a million times away from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

It's funny to think about. To me it seems like Mona Lisa matches the new album better, since it's about Conner reaching a new level of stupidity. Like thinking a whole country has a speech impediment.

Either way Mona Lisa is a catchy rear end song.

• Locked thread