Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

putting it on hard/very hard is mandatory though yeah. otherwise youre just mashing quick attack on everything and it quickly gets super boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

its so good that r. clown broke character to discuss it

hes a nice guy

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

I played the poo poo out of it on ps4 last summer and it became one of my all time favorites. I'm playing it again on PC now on Ultra Settings and it looks so insanely loving good. Beyond that as people have said the writing and world building is unmatched. Great soundtrack too. Can't wait to dump another 100 hours into it, plus have the expansions to look forward to. Thank you based CDPR.

Just made it to the Baron again... I did cat school skills and gear last time. I've heard alchemy builds are really tight so I might try that out. I maxed out the Igni intensity skill and one shotted the crew that tries to fight you when you're leaving White Orchard with it, lol. I'm gonna max out bombs at least.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
This game really is massive.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Ugh I really want to play this but I have to beat Dark Souls first. Strict one single player game at a time gamer.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
gently caress!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i started to replay it after beating it last year and i think i stopped just before meeting the crones. can i just skip to skellige and hang out with my psuedowife

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
This game is unbelievable.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

the crones are really cool

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I don't think I've ever played a game with more legitimately fleshed out side content.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Ploughing through witcher 2 atm. im glad i slogged through the first part of it now that its starin to get good :popcorn:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Geralt goes from leery about the card game to jonesin for a match with any poor sap around s after the feels kick in

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

A tcg that my char is addicted to and outstanding side quests are both reasons why I'm going to buy this in the near future

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

The Witcher 3 is ploughin epic

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
A gif of geralt with the professors glasses descending over him with the rear end ears also

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

romanowski posted:

the crones are really cool

I love the design. They showed up and were equal parts humanoid and revolting/unnatural to where I wanted to kill them instantly

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
That one with the bugs crawling in and out of where her eye socket should be....bleugh.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

NickRoweFillea posted:

I love the design. They showed up and were equal parts humanoid and revolting/unnatural to where I wanted to kill them instantly

Oh yeah I didn't get too far in the game and im gonna make that right soon but the first cutscene when you meet the crones was where I realized it was really good. If you haven't played the game then maybe you shouldn't click on this because the reveal when you meet them is really cool, but if youre on the fence and wondering what makes witcher 3 different than your typical western RPG and some good-rear end character design might push you over the edge them check it out because these guys look sick as hell http://thewitcher3.wiki.fextralife.com/file/view/crone.jpg/552699600/crone.jpg

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
the dialogue and the music and the overall context really makes it click but witcher 3 has some of my favorite monster designs ever , up there with the souls and castlevania games. if yall know about any other games that succeed on that level please tell me about them

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

I just cleared out a bandit camp in the new dlc that had at least 35 bandits snd a pack of dogs. 35 is how many corpses i counted so there could have been more. All attacking at the same time archers and all. I was kiting the horde around the ruins just doing damage when possible using the ekimmara concoction and quen with the heal upgrade but even with that it took me like five tries, i use light armor so like two or three solid hits was death. That was one of the craziest video game battles ive ever experienced

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Hell bent to win gwent

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
not trying to troll, but when people say the world building and writing is good, + the design is good, the music is good. but nobdy is saying the combat + gameplay is good, then everything, imo, is probably actually bad.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
kiting...

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Grandmother of Five posted:

not trying to troll, but when people say the world building and writing is good, + the design is good, the music is good. but nobdy is saying the combat + gameplay is good, then everything, imo, is probably actually bad.

The combat is good on the highest difficulty imo. The only actually "bad" fighting is on horseback

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hearts of Stone is really super good. I didn't play it when it first came out so I'm doing it now just before Blood and Wine and I'm really impressed by the whole thing.

The combat is fine if you don't just leave it on low difficulty. Also the balance of it is kind of poo poo in the base game I've found, even on the highest difficulty it gets really easy by the last third of the game or so. They just let Geralt get way too strong. The two expansions are much better balanced.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

I love getting into fights that merciful Geralt is tentative about that end either with a sick decap or knocking the guy backwards and slicing his legs off in mid air, hahaha.

E: the combat is really good. They've come a long way since W1.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

its more like the other stuff just outshines the decent combat mechanic because its leagues better than in other games, whereas other games do the combat part better. The combat is still really satisfying but the world/story itself is what actually motivates you to do stuff which is rare and how games should be imo

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Its more telling that nobody is bitching about the combat, the story and world building is like 50 percent of the gameplay

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Every once in a while you come across some random bartender with a bastard of a gwent deck and its a loving nilfgaard deck every loving time

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

HORMELCHILI posted:

its more like the other stuff just outshines the decent combat mechanic because its leagues better than in other games, whereas other games do the combat part better. The combat is still really satisfying but the world/story itself is what actually motivates you to do stuff which is rare and how games should be imo

yea

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

youre very wise. I tried playing through this last year and the world and story are cool but I couldnt stand the combat which is the actual gameplay part of the game so I thought it was rear end and stopped playing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

apropos to nothing posted:

youre very wise. I tried playing through this last year and the world and story are cool but I couldnt stand the combat which is the actual gameplay part of the game so I thought it was rear end and stopped playing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

honestly if you dont play on the highest difficulty the combat is pretty boring and repetitive because you get overleveled way too quickly

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

The combat is fine enough for what it's trying to do. Like the above poster said, the combat is just used as a vessel to move you through the stories and missions, and it succeeds very well at that. There are games with better combat, but this one is good enough to keep me playing.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

HORMELCHILI posted:

I just cleared out a bandit camp in the new dlc that had at least 35 bandits snd a pack of dogs. 35 is how many corpses i counted so there could have been more. All attacking at the same time archers and all. I was kiting the horde around the ruins just doing damage when possible using the ekimmara concoction and quen with the heal upgrade but even with that it took me like five tries, i use light armor so like two or three solid hits was death. That was one of the craziest video game battles ive ever experienced

i did that same camp as an alchemy/bomb build - i threw nine dancing star bombs and just listened to everyone scream and burn while my fps dropped to like 7 it was great, then i used iris to cleave in half the last two guys standing :twisted:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I just played Hearts of Stone and it was insanely good. I thought Gaunter was going to be bad but he was a really great villain. Too many cutscenes though, I wish it had let me actually play the heist mission.

Blood and Wine is sexy as hell and extremely funny so far. CDProjekt are bae.

Harrow posted:

Hearts of Stone is really super good. I didn't play it when it first came out so I'm doing it now just before Blood and Wine and I'm really impressed by the whole thing.
this is what I did. I'm really glad I saved it to now to appreciate it. Got spoiled a bit for ith though :(

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 5, 2016

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

apropos to nothing posted:

They patched in an alternate movement mode which makes the movement tighter at the cost of slightly less realistic animations. That solved almost all of the issues I was having with the movement, YMMV.

I started it right after playing through Bloodborne last year so it was a bit of an adjustment but you just have to approach combat a little differently. Positioning is really important but its not as twitchy as souls and you have way more stopping power in both light and heavy attacks... Give it another shot.

Its a chill foggy misty day in Maine and this gamer can't wait to get home and play this poo poo all evening

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

beepstreet posted:

Just made it to the Baron again... I did cat school skills and gear last time. I've heard alchemy builds are really tight so I might try that out. I maxed out the Igni intensity skill and one shotted the crew that tries to fight you when you're leaving White Orchard with it, lol. I'm gonna max out bombs at least.

I oneshotted the whole group in the inn with grapeshot so in the following cutscene the whole room was drenched in gore while bystanders were screaming and vomiting. I don't think the devs meant that scene to be quite so hardcore.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i dont touch the gwent at all and im glad that the game never, ever forces you to do it. even in sidequests where it seems like you have to play someone for info you can actually just murder/thieve your way through it

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

witcher 2 forced you to do its gambling minigame a couple of times and it was annoying as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

at the date posted:

I oneshotted the whole group in the inn with grapeshot so in the following cutscene the whole room was drenched in gore while bystanders were screaming and vomiting. I don't think the devs meant that scene to be quite so hardcore.
I did that too. The innkeeper's horrified reaction makes more sense this way imo

Bobnumerotres posted:

i dont touch the gwent at all and im glad that the game never, ever forces you to do it. even in sidequests where it seems like you have to play someone for info you can actually just murder/thieve your way through it
gwent's actually good fun and i never play card minigames due to still crying out "pazaak" in my sleep years after KotOR

• Locked thread